You Spin Me Right Round

by Katelyn Block on January 9, 2011 · 44 comments

Good morning bloggies! I hope everyone has had a good weekend:)

When I woke up this morning I was HANGRY (despite my late-night noshing..almond butter, anyone?). So, I started my morning with this GLORIOUS bowl of oats. Nom nom nom.

IMG_3241 Into the pot went:

• oats
  • Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
  • an itty bitty banana
  • mixed up with Vega Sport vanilla protein powder (after cooking)
  • topped with: almond buttah and LOTS of berries. I was craving them, can you tell?

Roooooarrr I love how green the Vega makes my oats:) It’s like a pop of color in my morning!

IMG_3243 Thankfully, it’s a beauuutiful sunny day! It makes up for the obnoxious amount of work I have to do today.

IMG_3251 The view out my window.

I’m too lazy to go outside in the freezing cold first thing in the morning;)

During breakfast, I read another two chapters or so of Crazy Sexy Diet. I’m addicted! It is SO good, and it’s encouraging me to try out more raw foods. Did I mention that Kris Karr is hilarious? I love a girl with spunk!

IMG_3248 I highly recommend it to anyone interested in a healthier life, being vegetarian, vegan, raw, preventing disease, or trying to cure disease.

Slash I recommend this book to EVERYONE. It’s like The China Study in layman’s terms, which is what our country (and our world) needs.

Did you know more than two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese? The stats are even scarier for kids under the age of FIVE. Something needs to be done. Kris to the rescue! :)

Since my wisdom teeth have been KILLING me as of late (I’ve been needing to get them out for, what, 2 months now?), I’ve been up on the ibuprofen. I woke up at 4am to drilling pain in my mouth and sprinted downstairs to get the bottle.

The on-call surgeon offered to prescribe me narcotics but I didn’t want to get loopy. Instead, he’s letting me up the ibuprofen and add Tylenol, but I’m just sticking with the regular dose of the ‘profen. Less chemicals in my body = the better.

So, oatmeal, quinoa flakes, and soft fruit have been my food of choice. And sweet potaters. I can never get enough;)

Last night I tried to make a pizza-like quinoa flakes combo, but it tasted AWFUL. I added nooch, tomato paste, and italian seasoning, hoping for a pizza-like flavor.

Smelled awesome, tasted foul. Too much tomato paste! Lesson learned: a little goes a long way.

IMG_3234

That’s avocado and beans for healthy fats + more protein. I was sad when all of the ‘cado was covered in my nasty concoction. Boooo, at least that was most of what I scarfed down!

To make up for my experiment, I cooked up another pot of quinoa flakes and added my mama’s pear-sauce, raisins, and beans. Ahhh, much better:)

Before that, I took an AMAZING spin class. I’m addicted to spinning, and it’s been my favorite group class along with Body Pump since last year. The teacher was adorable, must have been in her fifties or sixties, and she was a POWERHOUSE. From a little lady, you would not expect such spunk. Love it.

Among the benefits of Spinning are:

• It’s calorie-torching
  • Improve your cardiovascular endurance and health
  • Time flies
  • It’s low impact
  • You can take it at your own pace
  • Leg tonage Winking smile
  • Lowering your body’s workout breaking point (becoming more efficient, and releasing endorphins more quickly)
  • It works your core
  • Group mentality – it’s fun!
  • Improved mental stamina
  • Improve overall strength

If you haven’t tried spinning yet, I highly recommend it! It’s so much fun, and it makes me feel like supawomannnnn;)

That’s all for now! Time for me to go to church:) Today’s a rest day (at least that’s the plan), and I didn’t bother to shower this morning. At least I did my makeup and put on a cute oufit, right? Sorry God, it’s not you, it’s me.

On another note, one of my New Year’s rezzies is to improve my relationship with God. During this trying time, I’ve been finding a lot of comfort in prayer and in the prayers of others. I’m hoping to read the Bible this year, from cover to cover:)

Have you had your wisdom teeth out? How did you deal with the pain? Slash did you do anything funny after the surgery (vicodin ha)?

I better do something funny. I told my sister to videotape me. Expect a hilarious video a few weeks from now:)

Has anything in your life strengthened your relationship with God? Tell me your stories!

Yes, but that is for another post:)

Have you ever tried Spinning?

Yes, duh. I am going to be a spinning instructor in college, I’m doing the training this summer hollllla:)

xoxox,

Signature

janae @hungryrunnerg January 9, 2011 at 10:31 AM

You have to post the video of you doing crazy stuff! That book you are reading sounds amazing!! I LOVE SPINNING!! Seriously every single one of those benefits is so so true! Your oats look amazing! Bummer about the messed up recipe:(
I can't believe you saw a guy eat two of those garbage plates!!
Shape and Women's health are my fave's too!

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Oh, I WILL ;) And spinning is my fuellll girl! Let's have a bloggy magazine party?:)

runnergirl014 January 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Eeek Wisdom Teeth stink! I hope you have no problems. I had mine out in high school and it wasn't terrible until I got an infection =( Just make sure after surgery you go home and rest. I got…er…sick and it was good we got home when we did since we didn't have a plastic bag in the car. Good luck!

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Yes, rest will be KEY. Slash I am making a million smoothies for myself to devour when I can’t eat anything. Double slash I’ll be sure to bring a barf bag;)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete January 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I am a spinning instructor, and I love it!! I love teaching new peeps. I love making people sweat. I love making people hate me during the class, but love me afterwards. You will have so much fun teaching it!

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM

HAHA you're hilarious, those are some of the reasons I can't wait to teach ;)

Sweet Cheeks January 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Good luck with the wisdom teeth! I have had all four of mine taken out and according to my mom, I was pretty hilarious on the car ride home. ;) Make sure you ICE, ICE, ICE. The more you do it, the faster the swelling will go down!

That is so awesome that you are going to teach spinning! I want to come to one of your classes!!!

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for the tipsky!;) And duhh you have to come to a class, all of my bloggie babes will have to come!

movesnmunchies January 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM

i am dying to try spinning! but i dont belong to a proper gym.. so that poses a problem! i haven’t gotten my wisdom teeth out although my bro did and he was quite funny to watch.. i did have to get two teeth pulled once- OUCH… my mouth was so numb I couldn’t speak and it was HILARIOUS

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Whattt! Go try spinning, now! Slash I had a few teeth pulled one time, and my bottom lip was so numb I thought it was giantly swollen..I couldn't drink water without spilling on myself hahaha

healthyexposures January 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM

those blueberries in your oats look so good and fresh – i don't think there's anything better!! bummer about the quinoa – it definitely sounded like a good plan, though.
And thanks for the heads-up on that book. It sounds awesome, and definitely eye-opening. I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for it :)
Good luck with your wisdom teeth! Are yougetting them out soon?

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I know, don't they?! I love bluebs:) Slash that book is a MUST read. Double slash if I don't get these teeth out soon I might turn into Dracula.

leashieloo January 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I got my wisdom teeth taken out when I was a sophomore in college, it was the worst. I don’t remember the car ride home but once the drugs wore off I was in agony! The worst part was not being able to eat solid food :( But I didn’t get dry sockets, I was careful not to. My discomfort lasted for a week or so but it was worth it to get those suckers out!

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Ahh dang, a whole week?! I can’t miss that much school…boooo maybe I’ll take that time to catch up on my Glee episodes:)

Sophia @ Raven Waves January 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I gave you the stylish blogger award on my blog!

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Thank you girl! So sweet:) I’ll be linkin’ back in my next post!

Hollie @ Lolzthatswi January 9, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I actually got my wisdom teeth out and didn't have too much pain. I think mine were almost all the way in though so they just kinda pulled em out.

That book looks amazing. Does it have a lot of good recipes?

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Hopefully I’ll be so lucky! And this book has some really good recipes, I can’t wait to try them and share them with yall:)

snackgirlgoeshealthy January 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Ugh! I had my wisdom teeth pulled out and it gave me awful headaches for several weeks!
Vicodin and me became bestest buds!

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Ahhh no! I hoep I don't get headaches:( Slash vicodin might be fun;) Jokes, jokes..drugs are BAD.

Sophia @ Raven Waves January 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Yummy breakfast, especially those blueberries! It’s so cold in Chicago too. It makes me not want to do anything. I got my wisdom teeth out a couple months ago. I had been in so much pain for months before they finally were removed. Honestly, the entire week after the surgery was horrible. But now I’m so glad they’re out. I don’t know if I did anything funny, but I was on so much vicodin, so I’m sure I did.

I haven’t tried spinning, but I’ve heard so many good things about it!

Katelyn January 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Same here! I’ve been having this drilling pain in my mouth for at least two months now. Booo, I don’t want to be out for a whole week, but it will so be worth it – I think my mouth is having a baby!

Slash you MUST try Spinning, the first class is killer, but you’ll be hooked;)

Stefanie January 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I love spinning! Although it's been a while since I took a class–I need to get on it!

That book looks awesome–I'm looking it up on Amazon! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Yes, you do! Spinning is my FUEL:)

Slash that book is perfection, everyone should have a copy.

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 10, 2011 at 10:26 AM

That book looks awesome! And I’m 23 and have yet to get my wisdom teeth out… whoops.

Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Haha, it's fine:) Slash I'm getting mine out on Wednesday, I canNOT wait to get rid of these babies!

oatsandspice January 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I love reading you blog Katelyn! I just started mine; check it out: http://oatsandspice.wordpress.com

When do you get your wisdom teeth out? I had mine taken out last Tuesday! Prepare to eat A LOT of soft foods :)

Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Thanks girl! I commented, so cute:) I'm getting them out Wednesday, thank goodness! Smoothies will be my main form of consumption, I'm planning them alll out!

Jess January 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I haven’t got my wisdom teeth out, but I really need to!

Kelly@rahraw.blog.co January 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Oh, wanted to let you know I've sub'd to your site and am putting you on my blog links :)

Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM

yay! Thank you!

Meg January 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM

That book looks awesome! I love diving into foodie books, especially ones with awesome recipes ;)

I freaking LOVE spinning, although the first class I attended I feel like I went a little overboard because I was walking around like I had a tree up my ass afterwards, haha!

Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Foodie books = my fifth appendage. Haha I had that saaame thing happen to me, but I've been a Spinee for more than a year, so I guess you could say I am "seasoned":)

Stefanie January 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Hey girl! I gave you the stylish blogger award! Go check it out! http://www.the-new-healthy.com/2011/01/its-stylis

Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Thanks girl! I'll get on that asap:)

Melissa January 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I love spinning! I actually teach it too! I'm going to try RPM (the les mills version of it), have you tried that? I think your New Year's Resolution to become closer to God is truly inspirational. If you haven't already read The Shack, I recommend that you do. It helps to explain the power of God's love so that we can understand it in this day and age. Also "Heaven is for Real" is a cute and easy read that helped me reconnect with my faith. God Bless

Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 8:55 PM

What’s RPM and where can I try it? I luuurve new classes! And thank you, I will be checking those out:)

Kelly@rahraw.blog.com January 10, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Hi! Just came across your blog! Nice!!! I’ve not had my wisdom teeth out, but have been told I need to. Hope it’s not too bad. I’m a Christian, so deepening my relationship is very important to me too and is also something I truly want to work on this year. I’ve done x-biking before, but never spinning. Have a great day! :)

Katelyn January 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM

X-biking?! Sounds extreme………intriguing:)

Hillary [Nutrition N January 11, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Love love spinning! Can't wait to get back to my gym!

Katelyn January 11, 2011 at 5:59 PM