Craydar.

by Katelyn Block on April 28, 2011 · 25 comments

Craydar: (n) Crazy Radar. The ability to sense Crazy on the premises.

Example: when you go to the Hall of Justice and a lady in a wheelchair is getting tried for harassment and asks your law and gov teacher if she can come in and talk about smoking crack and prostitution.

….Oh.

Can you say field trip of the year? More on that tomorrow. Wait that was a lie. Tomorrow is a huge SURPRISE so none of the field trip business…we’ve got bigger stuff on our hands.

Such as how are all of you?!?! I have been super absent and it makes me feel so icky and sad because I miss you guys like nothing you’ve ever known. Seriously I don’t know why it happened.

Okay that was a joke have you ever heard of AP’s? Yeah those exams that happen in early May, aka right after spring break, aka the day after my first half marathon? Yeah if you are smart and would like to tutor me please shoot me an email, greatly appreciated.

Oh, and any study tips you have in the bank (aka your noggin) would be also greatly appreciated. I may be a star student (cough cough) but seriously, I can always use new tips.

Next up? EASTER.

I got a new pair of skyyyy blue running glovies and black Gap Body running leggings (no picture oops but SO COMFY and adorable) and this wonderful goodness that will be making every-hour-on-the-hour appearances in college.

IMG_4638

AN ELECTRIC WATER BOILER or whatever it is called so I can drink tea all day every day!!! I love my momma.

And One Lucky Duck blonde macaroons, chocolate macaroons, and cinnamon bars. Oh my soul.

IMG_4569

Seriously if you have never had these before go order some. Or drive/fly/take a boat to NYC and get some for yourself because these things are like nothing I have ever tasted before (I mean that was healthy).

…and then I ran twelve miles.

IMG_4562

Average 9:11 pace. BAM. Not bad at all considering my muscles were screaming.

And then I ate this hugh jass Bancake to tame the wild beast that is my stomach after burning a good 1200 calories. Can you say twice my normal food in one day? Which is already an olympian’s amount of food.

IMG_4572

With a crumbled Blueberry Muffin Larabar on top to keep with the blueb theme. So good.

Stomach status – satisfied.

My last long training run = complete, and the next day or two means EASY runs, and then tapering. Did I mention that there is carbo loading involved? I have no objection to that whatsoever.

Easter Dinner:

Roasted acorn squash a la Madre.

IMG_4602

With roasted broc, apples, and onions.

IMG_4605

Sweet Potato Fries a la moi.

IMG_4608

Black “Forbidden” Rice.

IMG_4613

And momma’s plate. She asked if I wanted to take a picture of her food and obviously I said yes:)

IMG_4614

…And a hugh jass salad for me “on the side”. With quinoa, raisins, hummus, and balsamic obvs.

Hit. the. spot.

Now for some Doggy Craydar.

My dog is a madwoman but I love my pupster:) Here are some randoms of Lillyboo!

She licks towels…

IMG_4582

And she’s really mastered that whole “deer in the headlights” thing.

IMG_4627

IMG_4630

I ruff her<3

A few more randoms…

JANAE GIRL I found a Utah license plate and obvs thought of you first thang<3

IMG_4554

And the running calendar currently posted on my wall. Yes that baby is two-sided.

IMG_4633

Looks like I’ll be busy this year!

One last thang.

I need to ask some advice from all of you.

Now I am already very well-educated on nutrition, but lately I find myself CRAVING protein like no other and yet my muscle has not been growing like it used to. If any of you have suggestions for getting high-quality vegan protein that is NOT heavily protein-powder based, I would love to hear your suggestions!! I have noticed that my muscle mass has gone WAY down but my fat has increased. I am trying to figure out how to get my build back! Maybe this will require some more strength training? Even so, give me all of your suggestions for protein!!! Thanks love doves, see you tomorrow for a very special guest post!

When was the last time your Craydar went off?

Tell me a funny story!!!

How was your Easter? Or if you don’t celebrate Easter, how was your weekend?

xoxox,

Signature

Hollie @lolzthatswim April 28, 2011 at 6:36 AM

My Easter Weekend was full of traveling sadly. Not too exciting. I love that word craydar and i think I will be integrating into my vocabulary very soon. ;).

MMgirl good luck on your APs. I remember those and never want to relive those memories. EVER.

Lisa April 28, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Wow—so much in one post!

Let's chat about protein… lots of ideas for you :)

Let's see…my study tips? Turn off all social media, email, internet and phone (and schedule 5 minute reward breaks to "check in"), get comfy with green juice, green tea, and some un-heavy food high in B vitamins for focus. Turn on mellow music (with no words)….bright-ish light, good posture (supported so it doesn't take physical effort)….

…and you're all ready to soak the info into your brain. Also, review the material once through right before you go to bed so your brain can work on it while you're asleep, and dress up for your tests (it's shown to improve focus and performance).

You'll do great!

Lee @ Fit Foodie Fin April 28, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Yay you are backski! You crazy girl running 12 miles again! GET IT! I need to make one of those Bancakes, it looks DELISH! I remember AP exams…probably should have taken that more seriously…oops. As for the protein: You should just start adding beans to everything! I like to get my protein in whole foods, instead of protein powder. I guess that is kind of hard for a vegan considering a lot of my protein comes from lean meats. haha.

Carrie (Moves ' April 28, 2011 at 8:19 AM

NICE RUN girl! wow 12 miles is awesome!.. okay my top proteins: beans, nooch, sun warrior, nuts and nut butters, lentils… grains.. maybe just try to eat more of these things.. up da bean count! altho u might get more gas— like me! TMI

Mariah@Apples"N April 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM

for your AP's i remember that buying the AP books in bookstores(so you can take practice tests) and hand writing outlines REALLY helped me out alot! GOOD LUCK:)

your Easter dinner and bancake both look absolutely incredible…gimme your food please!!!!!

Emily April 28, 2011 at 9:06 AM

You are you going to ROCK the half marathon!

As for AP tips…yeah…it's really hard to study for them since they cover every piece of information you learned all year. My teachers had practice tests so maybe you could get some of those.

And I am having protein problems too! I will be checking back to see if anyone gives good tips :)

Alyssa @ Life of bLy April 28, 2011 at 9:19 AM

oh noooo, good luck on those AP exams! yeesh. I don't miss em.

can we make sweet tater fries this summer too? ;) mah faaave. with honey mustard.

AND soak up that carbo loading. I could eat carbs for ever meal for every day of my life and be so happy. forever and ever.

Lauren April 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Awesome job on your run! Good luck on your APs coming up – it was so hard to study for them because I had senioritis like crazy!

Emily April 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Also! I also struggle with the muscle/fat problem and I read a bunch of articles saying that when you start doing a lot of long runs, your body is like whoaaa I better store some fat so I have energy to burn for tomorrow's 10 miler. Runner's World (I think) suggested doing more short and fast runs.

Christine @ Merf In April 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I took AP exams nineteen years ago. NINEteen. Wait, did I do the math right there? 19 + 17 = 36. Yep. Wow. Study your butt off with those study books that have past exams in it. You'll do great!

Jamie @ getalivingse April 28, 2011 at 11:03 AM

OMGsh I have an electric kettle, and it is the bomb! I actually JUST used it to make tea – you will lurveee it!

Diana April 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Good luck on your AP exams! Which are you taking? I don't really have any advice – it sounds like you're smart, so you'll do amazing! I don't remember actually studying much, but I got full university credit for both of the ones I took (AP English and AP Environmental Science), so that probably means that they weren't too difficult…

What a fantastic run! I wish I was that fast. Not likely, though – I'd probably collapse after mile 8 and crawl my way back home…

Amy B @ Second City April 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Solid run! Nice job, lady!

My craydar is always going off. I think it's me…

Kate Horning April 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Look like you hard a fabulous weekend! Protein suggestions, beans, lentils, nuts/nut butters, are usually what I rely on good luck :)

L April 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Wow, what a full post… you are so cute!

Good luck with your AP exams, you will rock them!

It seems as though you do a lot of cardio, running, spinning, etc. so that could def be your issue. More weights and a little less cardio could really help gain more muscle and be supa strong!

Also, eat more nuts and nutbutter, along with beans. Beans&rice together make the "perfect" amino acid protein and carb balance (Bio nerd(: ) and are super tasty together anyways :D

Q: do you fuel during your long runs?

Emma (Sweet Tooth Ru April 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM

AWESOME run girl!! I HAVE to make a bamcake thing at some point- looks SO GOOD! :D

My ultimate protein source is probs nutritional yeast, because I have it on everything/in everything and it's amazing!! I try to make sure that every meal I have though has a protein source (beans, lentils, soy, etc) and then it's all good! :)

And GOOD LUCK with your exams!!! If I was smart or even knew what AP exams were, then sure I'd tutor you! :P

Alyssa @ Life of bLy April 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM

P.S. I GAVE YOU AN AWAAARRDDD! :) Check mah post today.

lindsay April 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM

LOL! I'm going to have use that word now. I love it! I took AP in high school, but that was about 12 years ago, EEK! I'd be useless now. haha.

And wow, I want some lucky ducks. too cool!

Molly @ MollyRunsFre April 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I think my "craydar" goes off when I step inside of my house! I'm so proud of you girl for taking on this 1/2 marathon challenge and poundin' out some serious mileage. I have no clue about the protein scenario though. I have always had a tough time getting in protein (I could live off of whole grains, fruit, and veg) but don't feel like my muscle has suffered or fat gone up. If you get any advice from an RD though, shoot me an e-mail!

kaila @ healthy help April 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Woah 12 miles!!! That's intense! I love the idea of using a larabar for a pancake topping….sounds amazing! Loooove all your easter gifties too! How fun!

Chuck April 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

As for the APs–get the study book and just work it. I lived and breathed my AP US History study book and rocked the test.

As for the nutrition question, e-mail me and I can help you out!

Rachael April 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM

girl I wish I could run that much! actually I wish I could run at all ha. running is kinda painful for me… although I've always really really wished I could be a runner! good job!

and.. I've always wanted to try One Lucky Duck. they look so good!

Krista @ Journey To April 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Oh geez I remember AP exams. They suck! What ones are you taking? I had to take AP Lang and Comp, AP Psych, AP Calc, and AP Stats. I was a little stressed! haha

Lauren April 30, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Lentils!!!! But, let's get deep for a minute…I was vegan for 5 years. The same thing happened to me…I added more weight training, but it still didn't work, and my protein cravings were OUT OF CONTROL. I started feeling crappier and crappier…And so, after MUCH contemplation, I re-introduced organic, free-range eggs to my diet. It was a BIG decision, that took me a long time to decide, but omg, I felt immediately better and my protein cravings were silenced. Many months later, I still felt I needed more protein and reintroduced fish into my diet. Again, the changes were and still are remarkable. I feel so much better, don't have any crazy protein cravings, decreased my body fat, increased my muslce, increased my weight training and got super lean. I also have way more energy with less carbs in my diet. Believe when I say this was NOT an easy change for me on an emotional level. But, it was what my body needed. It may be selfish, but I need to think of my body and my health above all else. But seriously, whole, green lentils rock and have lots of protein and don't cause any bloating, unike beans.

Olivia May 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM

How bout just beans and nut butters!?! oh and nooch too; that's an amazzzing and super yummy tasting protein for vegans and nonvegans alike! Maybe soy? and like those gardein/boca/etc. burgers and soy products? I know you're not too keen on soy, but some of those gardein options are SOO high…oh yeah, and QUORN! that stuff tastes SO AMAZING and is soy free and oh shoot…i don't think it's vegan:( best of luck getting that muscle back girlie, let me know how it goes!