say what you need to say + soup face!

by Katelyn Block on May 8, 2011 · 18 comments

Good morning chickadees!! Have you told your Momma you love her today?

If not, go do that now.

Last night was spent with the Grandparents visiting from New Jersey (my grandpa is hilar, he is basically Jack Nicholson with a soul) and the Baby Sister and the ‘rents.

We went out to Natural Oasis, natch. Is there ever a weekend where I don’t show up there?

I started off with some of their Strawberry Green kombucha. Dangggg, this is a new flavor to me and I drank almost the whole tupperware!

IMG_4681

Exhibit A: halfway there:)

IMG_4686

The sister wanted a picha of herself too since it was her BIRTHDAY DINNER (it’s her birthday today, May 8th so holla at her some birthday wishes in the comments section!).

IMG_4687

How cute is she?!

And Lisa look, Natural Oasis has REAL menu’s now!

IMG_4684 IMG_4685

I know I was in shock.

They even brought out appetizers. Can you say Ethiopian spiced nuts and warm, moist, and dare I say VELVETY chickpeas?!

IMG_4688

I could barely even handle myself. There were even golden raisins in there. A restaurant after my own heart.

Every time I go there, they remember me and give me special treatment (not that I don’t enjoy it or anything:)). I am pretty sure they gave me extra cashoos just because they know that they are my favorite (in that picture they had clearly all been eaten by me already). Lisa, we are going there next weekend.

Then I started with an Ethiopian-Spiced Yellow Split Pea dish that was SO freaking good, it tasted like clam chowder minus the fishyness. I died. Oh and obviously there was Injera involved.

IMG_4696

I really like soup.

IMG_4690

BAM.

Then I tried the Padre’s salad…

IMG_4691

…and I just Had to Have One for myself.

IMG_4697

Feel free to drool, I know I know it’s hard not to.

Romaine, roasted red peppers, roasted Portobello mushroom (in some heavenly sweet crusted sauce that I am dying to recreate), and “crispy” onions aka ONION RINGS in an avocado-lime dressing.

Holy sweet baby Jesus. I am recreating that dressing asap, I just don’t think the whole onion ring thangalang will work out BUT I will try out Appetite for Reduction’s onion rings and let you know how that goes:)

Then dessert had to happen.

We ordered four plates of desserts because that is how we roll. Two of the carrot dessert that you can see here, and two rounds of their homemade Coconut Milk Vanilla Mint ice cream.

Holy amazeballs, I think my taste buds may have exploded with happiness.

IMG_4702

Topped with cocoa powder dust.

This was seriously delicious, and I asked the cook (who happens to be my biff and gave me my scoby starter for my kombucha. HOLLA) for a whole gallon of this stuff and he said he had extra last night and could give me some, but I said it’s okay bud you keep the ice cream, I will let you know ahead of time when I want a whole gallon of that stuff:)

IMG_4704

Caught vanilla-handed. Like my shirt?

—————————————————————————————————

So last night I was listening to the ‘pod and Say by John Mayer came on. And it made me all teary thinking one day I am going to die, yada yada yada, will I have said I Love You enough?! So I went around my house, and said I love you Mommy. I love you Daddy. I love you Rebecca. I love you Gramma and Grampa. I love you Lillykins (the pups).

I felt so much better.

So go tell your Momma you love her, and everyone else too! It will make them smile and it will make you smile too:)

That’s all for tonight loves. I’m off to go eat some more injera (I love leftovers) and probably some pancakes. And then make my Momma some breakfast in bed, with a cherry chocolate on top. Hey, she deserves it!:)

How are you saying “I Love You” today?

Best food item you had this weekend?

Tell me about your Friday and Saturday nights!

xoxox,

Signature

p.s. Syracuse won the BIG EAST Tournament for men’s lacrosse! Nice job, boys!

mindrunningwild May 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Happy Birthday to your sister!! She is beautiful just like you!! It must run in the family or something…
that restaurant looks amazing!! spiced velvety chickpeas? wow. I love the pic of you with the soup :)
I say I love you to those who matter most to me as often as I can. I took a philosophy class this past semester in which we were reminded daily of the imminence of death sooooo

Gillian May 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM

That dinner looks amazing!! I want a tupperware of kombucha!!

Lisa May 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM

You are just so in your element at Natural Oasis! I NEED to go there soon…maybe we can hit it up next weekend or something.

Totally impressed by the menu :)

Glad you're getting some good family time this weekend!

feerlessfood May 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Nice "pichas"! Haha that soo Rochester! I can't wait for the tacos I'm making tonight with my avocado cream sauce

janae May 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Girl you are SO SO GORGEOUS!!! I need that salad and ice cream RIGHT NOW!!! I had the best chocolate cake ever this weekend!!!!! Happy bday to your SISTER!!!

LillyKB May 8, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Girl, you are so pretty and your sis is adorbs! Awww family lovin :D That dinner sounds TDF, yummm! I so would have taken him up on the ice cream offer tho.

Lolzthatswim(andRun) May 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM

They have their own menu! OMG how exciting. I seriously cannot wait to go back now.

Happy Birthday to your sister!

healthyhelper May 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Every time you post about this place it makes me want to drop everything and drive to rochester!!!! It looks so darn good!!!! Especially that injera stuff! What's it made out of?

And I saw on the side that you are running the Buffalo half!!! I live in Buffalo so i will have to come out and cheer you on!

Ps: is there anyway to subscribe to your blog?

Christina May 8, 2011 at 6:24 PM

D'awh, I love that song! :) That restuarant sounds alskdjf to die for. Spicy, crispy chickpeas sounds so so so good right now!

Happy birthday to your sister! Mine is in two days. ;)

leashieloo May 8, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Happy birthday to your sister! That ice cream looks like it was AMAZE!

Alyssa May 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM

You're so right! And happy birthday to your sissy… so much sister love this weekend! :)
Thank you for allllll the love you've given me in my rough time. I lovelove ya and can't wait for our beach tiiiime!

Jaclyn May 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Happy birthday to your sister! I can't believe those are chickpeas they look fantastic….!!!

Mari May 10, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I have had so many opportunities to try Kombucha and I chicken out every time! Can you describe what is tastes like?? I think the "fermenting" word is what weirds me out!

Jenny May 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Love the dinner, you always make the best faces when you're eating haha :D and Happy Birthday to the sis :)

Olivia May 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Oh my goodness golly gosh!! I am so jealous of you and this restaurant and TOTALLY wish I had one like that near me!! I could literally die for that portobella burger, it looks So Freaking Good!!! Glad you had a great time:)

Shawnta May 12, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Book marked, I love your site! :)

black Sundance II Ugg Boots October 20, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I’ve simply found your website and revel in each post. We admire your expertise.