Moving Monday: A Weighty Subject.

by Katelyn Block on July 18, 2011 · 100 comments

Today I’m going to talk about a bit more of a weighty subject. So if you’re looking for bubbly Chef Katelyn goodness, you should come back tomorrow. ;)

In the blog world, it is no secret that most of us have had our fair share of eating disorders. Myself, I’ve had two. The second one I don’t talk about much, even with my closest friends.

But today, I’m going to talk about them. Mainly because eating disorders are a disease, and all diseases can be prevented. One day I will be preventing disease through nutrition and fitness education, but for now I’d like to use my own experience for something quite serious.

Firstly, I would like to make it clear that eating disorders are not a choice. They are not a decision to become skinny and beautiful gone wrong. They are a result of psychological stress in one’s life. Most of the time (or should I say almost all of the time), eating disorders result from a lack of control in some area of ones life. That being said, the beginning of my first disorder.

My first eating disorder resulted from a lack of control in my home environment. It didn’t help that I was in eighth grade, and the pressure to be wanted by boys was starting to build. I never felt skinny or beautiful enough. A friend of mine (who happened to have quite a serious eating disorder herself) was always glowing, happy, the life of the party, and the one that the boys wanted. I wasn’t. I was the sidekick friend who would get asked, “Hey, can you ask her if she likes me?”.

One day, I decided to lose weight. It was a feeble attempt, but because I had been such a chubby girl in my young life, it was a realistic goal. I began to eat healthier. Instead of potato bread, I chose wheat bread. Instead of eating goldfish and chocolate chips for lunch, I had something healthy like you know, a natural peanut butter and jelly sandwich. REAL food.

I also started swimming and rowing, which got me more active and helped me to drop some pounds without noticing. However by the time I started getting compliments about how good I looked, I wanted to keep going. I decided hey, clearly this whole “losing weight” thing is getting me attention, so why not lose more?

It became my bait for attention. I was the girl who had lost weight and was looking good. After awhile though, I didn’t look so good. In fact, I looked kind of scary.

I would starve myself until I couldn’t take it any longer, and then I would have a Light ‘N Fit yogurt. You know, those fat-free 80-calorie yogurts sweetened with Splenda? You could basically say that they have no nutritional value.

So I had a few of those a day.

Soon, my mom was scared for my life, and so was I; I just wouldn’t show it. I knew what I was doing to myself, but I couldn’t stop. It was my addiction, my identity. What would I be if I started eating again? Surely I would get fat, and then no one would like me.

But what I couldn’t see was that I was so skinny, if I ate that extra bite of dinner and didn’t throw it out, you probably even wouldn’t notice a difference.

So when I went to the doctor’s after Thanksgiving that year, my doctor showed me my growth chart, and how much my Body Mass Index had plummeted. Now, I don’t believe much in BMI and its significance on a day-to-day basis, but when you’re that unhealthy, it’s a heavy indicator (and slap in the face) to see what you’ve been doing to yourself.

In a story I once read, a brother and a sister were part of a large business. The brother was going on the radio, and decided that since he would not be seen by the public, he wouldn’t shine his shoes. His sister told him, “Shine your shoes for the fat lady, Buddy. Shine your shoes for the fat lady swatting flies on her porch in the country, waiting for you to come through on her radio. Do it for the fat lady.”

Who’s your fat lady? Is it your Mama who waits for your phone call every Sunday? Is it your friend who you meet in the morning to run? Is it your professor or your boss who asks you how you are every day? Out there, there is someone who wants to see your shining, beautiful face every day. They want you around. At times, it may be hard to see it, but they’re out there if you choose to see them.

I care about you. If you are in the depths of an eating disorder, or know someone that is, please send me an e-mail. I’m blog here for myself, but also for you. Let’s be serious, if it weren’t for all of you, I don’t know where I would be. You all show me beauty every day, and remind me why we should all love ourselves, every second of every day.

So here’s your Get Out of Jail Free card. Take it or leave it. I’ll always be here.

I’ll be your Fat Lady if you don’t believe that there are tons of other ones surrounding you. Your family, your friends. They’re just like you. Give love and you will see the love that is being sent to you.

Walk with love today, mah boos.

xoxox,

tiedyefiles July 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM

What a beautiful post! Thank you so much for reminding all of us that we're beautiful and deserve the best for ourselves. I've suffered eating disorders and I'm starting to get to the point where I'm eating to live, for my health, and for my happiness and this is just a perfect reminder to do just that. You are beautiful and inspiring and I really appreciate you sharing your story! You may inspire me to do the same soon :)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Thank you for sharing <3 You made my day girl!

healthyhelper July 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Beautiful Katelyn….truly beautiful. I am tearing up literally. This post can seriously apply to everyone and help anyone getting through a tough time. Thank you…..you certainly just made my day.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Oh my gosh. I am so honored!! Not that I made you tear up…but that it effected you so deeply. Hugs.

katshealthcorner July 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Katelyn, thank you for posting this! Absolutely beautiful. This made my day.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Thank you Kat.

Sarah July 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Love the post today. Thanks for your honesty. I love the thought that "there is someone that wants to see shining, beautiful face every day".

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I say it because it is TRUE :)

Maria July 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I'm so sorry you had to deal with a traumatic and ugly disease, but I'm so happy you made it through! I hope your story of survival will be used to help others in similar situations!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Thank you Maria!! <3

Elaine July 18, 2011 at 12:07 PM

So proud of you! It was so great to see you and how healthy you look now.
Love to you and family!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Thank you Elaine!!

Jill July 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM

im tearing up also. Such an inspirational post. I can relate to all that said. Thank U!!!!!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Aweee thank you mahdear!!

katie July 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Awesome Post and you are a strong and beautiful girl! This post will really inspire people who are struggling with this , you are awesome! Glad you got through your bad times, life is too beautiful and short! xoxo

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Thank you so much for your sweet words, Katie <3

Tara July 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM

You're the best :) I know so many others can relate to what you said, myself included. Especially the control thing. A lot of people don't realize that eating disorders aren't all in vain! In fact I didn't care too much about being skinny, i just thought I was superior to everyone else since I was so "healthy" (uhh far from it girl). I love that you're reaching out to others who are suffering and taking the role of "the fat lady". You're going to change lives, my friend. Beautiful and amazing post right here.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Aweee thank you Tara!!! I feel you — the superiority complex is a huge piece. Oh my gosh. You just made my heart blow up. I dream every day of changing lives. Thank you thank you.

TheNewHealthy July 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Wow Katelyn, this post just sucked me in. Your words are so eloquent and while I've never experienced a restrictive eating disorder myself, I've certainly been on the other end of the spectrum. I think that overeating is some sort of eating disorder as well. I am SO happy that you fought back and won. :)

You are so beautiful inside and out! Love you! <3

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Thank you thank you babydoll!! Love you! <3

Courtney July 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Ahhh Katelyn, I can relate to this post on so many levels. I know exactly how all of those feelings go…being sucked in to the compliments, the fear of eating one extra bite. It's a terrible, awful thing. I'd be lying if I said I didn't still have days where those sort of feelings start to sneak back in. It happens…but it's up to me to make the choice to ignore them. I'm so glad that you're on the up and up with things. Your post was so well-written!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words Courtney <3 When the feelings start to come back in, it is such a powerful thing to be able to say no to them. Thank you mahdear!!!

theAlmostRunner July 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Girl! Beautiful story of LIFE! Thank you so much for sharing and offering help and support to everyone.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Aweee thank you girl!! You're welcome <3

LCCotter July 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM

thank you for sharing such a difficult part of your life. We can all see the strength that came from it and how you overcame it! Katelyn, your voice is strong and smile is contagious. Keep showing both!__p.s._Love that fat lady analogy! my family and husband are mine!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Aweeee Linds!! Your words made my heart overflow. I love love love you!

Hannah July 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Beautifully written and beautifully inspiring. This was wonderful to read and I am so thankful that you were willing to share this part of your story with everyone! You are a strong girl and motivating to everyone who currently struggles with disordered eating. Lovely! :)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Thank you so much Hannah. Hugs <3

Lindsay July 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I'm glad you feel comfortable writing about this! Thanks for this! I'm sure there are so many people out there suffering that really just need to feel the love! :)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM

You're welcome Linds!!! xoxox

runningperspective July 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM

i love this girl!! thank you so much!!! i realized how invigorating it feels to share your experiences out on the blog world..and the fact that you may be helping someone is like the most rewarding experience ever!
thanks lady:)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Aweee I love YOU! It is so invigorating. Every day I wake up hoping I can help someone else. You're welcome booo <3

Errign July 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM

This is a beautiful, beautiful post.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Thank you Errign!

abznoats July 18, 2011 at 4:05 PM

This is such an amazing post Katelyn. I have been right there with you. It gets addicting to hear "you look so good" every day while your losing until you start looking like a walking skeleton and no one really says it anymore. I totally agree with the part about "The disease has taken the real you away, sucking away your glow, your beauty, and your perfectly unique personality". That was me for about two years until finally my "fat lady" said something to me…that would be my manfriend. I still fall into the disordered thinking trap somedays but I am trying my hardest to take life day by day and live in a more healthy way! :)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Oh my gosh. Thank you thank you. It IS addicting, and that is so true — all of a sudden they don't say it anymore, and that makes it hard to turn everything around. Your manfriend is a beautiful soul. He is a lucky guy to have you to love! Hugs girl! :)

Kate July 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Katelyn, you are amazing. Period.

Every single time I read your posts I think, "damn, this girl is going to be a HUGE success one day." You already ARE a huge success but I think you are destined to change a lot of lives. Your words are so moving and so honest.

(APPARENTLY MY COMMENT IS TOO LONG SO I WILL HAVE TO POST IT IN PIECES)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM

OH my god. I love you. I am going to respond to each one of these parts individually because I have so much to say. First of all, you made me tear up. That is the most amazing thing anyone has ever said to me. It makes my heart and my tummy feel so..I don't know how to describe it. I want SO BADLY to reach so many people, and you give me that hope. Thank you. <3

Kate July 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I can relate to this post on so many levels. I went off to college thinking my body was fine. I got attention from boys so I never really struggled with feeling fat. Then, I became best friends with a very thin girl who had an ED. Her comments about being "fat" finally got to me. I am not placing ANY blame on her whatsoever, but in her company I began to feel fat. Very fat. I was at a healthy weight but my stomach wasn't flat as a board and I didn't wear a size 0. I started to count calories and exercise. At first it was good. I was starting to eat healthier and get fit. Then, the compliments came rolling in. I was ambushed with "you look great!" "how did you lose so much weight? teach me!" and people always commenting on how healthy I ate. I began to feel scared that I would gain the weight back and nobody would like me anymore.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:57 PM

That is how I began to feel too. I looked fine. Great, even, but she was so skinny that I wanted to BE like her. I wanted to wear the size 00 Hollister jeans that fit her so perfectly. I felt that too — if I didn't get those compliments, would I ever get noticed?

kate July 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM

At that point I became frantic. If I ate anything remotely "unhealthy" I would purge. Allowing a cookie into my stomach would make me fat and nobody would like me. Right? I was so out of control.
I saw a counselor in college and with her help I got to the root of the problem. When I was 16 I moved out of my mom's home and moved in with my dad. My mom didn't flinch. She never even called me. We lost touch. The woman who was my best friend let me go as if I didn't matter to her at all. I didn't even realize this affected me. I never cried about it or even talked about. What I came to realize was that I was so badly hurt by this and it was a huge reason I turned to my eating disorder. I couldn't control whether or not my mom loved me, but I could control my weight.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I never purged, but I am so glad that you are able to talk about it now. Counselors are so so helpful. Mine helped me to get through it too. That makes my heart ache for you — a girl without her mother is such a difficult thing. If you ever read "Captivating", that will help you to understand the depth of that a little more. But rest assured, I LOVE YOU, Angela loves you, and your family and friends love you. Mwah.

Kate July 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Like you said, eating disorders aren't a choice or just a means to get skinny. They appear so, but there is something much deeper going on. Much, much deeper. We are hurt and feel a loss of control and this manifests itself in unhealthy behaviors like purging or restricting. It is such a horrible disease to live with. Grueling, actually. I am so glad you wrote this post. Your words mean so much to me. I know I am not alone — and I hope other young women know this too. It does get better. You can win the battle.

You rock. Kisses and hugs!!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM

We ARE hurt, and we DO feel out of control. You are so right. I love love you. Thank you so much for your kind, beautiful words. It DOES get better, and there is light at the end of the tunnel. You just gotta fight your way out. xoxox <3

thebeautynotebooks July 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Katelyn, you are beautiful and brave. It takes a lot of courage to share your story to the blog community, especially if you don't talk about it even with your closest friends. But as you can tell, you have touched a lot of people's hearts today. Continue to draw strength from within, and take care! <3

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Thank you so much mah boo. <3

Katherine July 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM

*hug*

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Hug right back atcha girl :)

Girl In The Pink July 18, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Thanks for sharing such an honest post!

I think it is important for people to know that eating disorders are mental health disorders that just happen to involve food. When I was a health teacher I always discussed eating disorders in the mental health unit, while other teachers chose to teach eating disorders in the nutrition unit – I always found that so strange!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:01 PM

That is so very true. I am glad that you took the intiative to teach it in the mental health unit — it is SO important that it is seen as a disease and not as a nutritional choice.

emilybargabos July 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I have never really posted anything about my struggles other than touching on it in my "about" section, our stories are similar though. Thank you for posting this girl, so courageous! You're beautiful and fabuloussss! :)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Aweeee thank you so much girl!!! I hope that one day you are able to open up. <3

Lolzthatswim(andRun) July 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Katelyn this is such a great blog post. Holy moly. I can most certainly relate. I really think it is important for people to realize that Eating disorders are not a choice. People do not choose it. It is as you said a parasite.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Aweee thank you Holls Bolls. I love you.

Lolzthatswim(andRun) July 18, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Can you please be the ultimate nickname creator?

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Um yes.

Lindz July 18, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Aww muffin, this was a great post. Very touching and inspiring. I am sorry you had to go through that, but I'm sure it contributed to the beautifully glowing happy girl you are today! I am so glad you have overcome all of this and are now in a good place :)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Thank you thank you <3 Your kind words made my heart swell!!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much for your sweet, sweet words, and for sharing your struggle. It IS frustrating, but every day I remind myself that the people around me love me for ME, not for the parcel of fat on x area of my body. They love me for my sense of humor and my love and joy for life. And that is why they love YOU. Thank you so much mahdear!!! <3

Haley@AllOrNothing July 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM

This was such an inspiring post Katelyn.
Your words are truly touching, and you can just tell that you are the sweetest girl ever.
I love your blog, but I appreciate you even more now that I know all that you have gone through and overcome!
I cannot wait to one day be COMPLETELY ED-free. I'm getting there.
Once again, thanks for talking about this. It's great to see girls come out on the other side with a healthy attitude :)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words Haley!!! Oh my gosh that is so sweet. If you EVER need to talk, I am here. You're welcome mahhhdear <3

Katy July 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Katelyn, thank you so much for being brave enough to talk about your experiences with ED. So many of us have been there. I was EDNOS (borderline anorexic with self injury) for probably 10 years… I'm through the worst of it now, but still struggle with worrying about how I look and how much I weigh. I have friends who have been dangerous, critically entrenched in anorexia… multiple inpatient/residential treatments, lifelong health problems as a result, and one girl taken far too soon from this world. It is a horrid disease to live with – but recovery is totally, 100% possible for EVERYONE – just have to put your heart into it and swear it's not going to take one more minute of your life from you. As a reminder to myself, I have tattooed on my wrists "eleos" and "eirene", which mean "mercy" and "peace"… because it's only by God's mercy that I'm on the other side of those trials and working toward a life of peace. Blessings and happiness to you and everyone you've touched here. :-)

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Oh my gosh. Thank you so so much for sharing. That is absolutely heartbreaking, yet so inspiring. You are beautiful, and it is true — recovery is 100% possible. That is such a beautiful reminder every day. Thank you thank you. <3

Casey July 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Your writing is so beautiful. Great post! You are so inspiring.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Thank you for your kind words Casey!

Dorry July 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM

It's always so inspiring to read about someone's honest history with an eating disorder, and I commend you for writing this post! So many people can relate, and I know your healthy way of living today is motivation for people who are struggling. You are proof that we can beat eating disorders and live a fulfilling, healthy life, free of the restraints and restrictions. Letting go of that need to control is what sets you free! xo

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Allie@LiveLaughEat July 18, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Thanks for sharing, Katelyn. I know you're helping more people than you know.

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Thank you Allie! <3

myveganstory July 18, 2011 at 11:33 PM

"When you have an eating disorder, you’ve been taken over by a parasite. You’re not yourself. The disease has taken the real you away, sucking away your glow, your beauty, and your perfectly unique personality. Fight it. Fight it back for your life. Your eating disorder wants you to think nothing more than if you’re not the thinnest of the thin, you’re nothing. But that is so not true. You are strong, you are beautiful, you are loved." <— This is a powerful paragraph and I love it.

During my eating disorder I lost so many friends because they all figured out I had anorexia. I remember kids I didn't even know coming up to me and saying "just go eat a burger!" But it's not that simple. Food is hardly the problem and It's not a choice, it IS a disease. Problem is, society doesn't see it that way.

Thanks for this, you are so beautiful and inspiring! :)

Have a great night!

Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Thank you thank you girl. Unfortunately, that happened to me as well. Some people just don't understand the basis for this kind of disease. Oh my gosh you are so sweet!!! Thank you <3

Brandy Stull July 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Katelyn sweetheart, you are so wise for your age :-) I definitely went through the same thing, but in college, and it's still scary to think about what I would do every day to my body and was still never happy. Some diet pills, water and maybe one meal I'd make myself purge at night. Disgusting… and yet somehow made me the food-loving person I am today. We all have our own journeys, right?! Thanks for candidly sharing your story!!! :)

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Ahhhh Brandy girl I love you!! I am so glad I got it over with before college. I can only hope and pray it does not come back. Thank you for sharing mah girl. Love you! <3

feerlessfood July 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Wonderful post babe. I wish I knew what started mine… besides vainness, I don't really know what it was. I think it had to do with being better than others- in the sense of working harder than everyone else, mostly in sports. I screwed myself with losing a ton of muscle, but I would work harder than anyone in practice even though I didn't always play. I was like you, known as the kid who outworked everyone else. It's totally an identity, you nailed it.

I'm not cured, by any means, but I'm fighting

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Aweee thank you for sharing, Chuckster. The desire to outshine everyone else is such a powerful thing. Keep fighting bud <3

canttweetitdonteatit July 19, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Katelyn you are so brave and generous to share your story and offer help to others. It really helps to do it for someone else, the "Fat Lady." I never thought of it that way but I think this will help me A LOT. I may have let my ed take over my life, but I would never want it to effect my friends and family. Recovery is so worth it. Thank you so much for this post!

"Fight it. Fight is back for your life."
Such a strong message and your writing is absolutely beautiful!!

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Thank you thank you. I am so glad I can be of help to you. Recovery is SO worth it — I promise you the grass IS greener over here! Thank you for your kind words <3

Melissa July 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Katelyn,
You are so courageous girl! Thank you so much for sharing your story! I've struggled with borderline anorexia for most of my life. I too had a little bit of a chubbier past, one that my family and friends would never let me forget. It stemmed from self doubt and an inabilty to trust my own food choices as I was always told "you shouldn''t be eating cookies" as a kid. It carried on for a while until an absuive relationship caused me to swing the opposite and began binge eating for comfort, and to numb my self. It's a daily battle at times. But I know mentally now that I am in a better place where I can say to myself "this extra food might make me feel good at the moment but it wont make me feel good tomorrow." To everyone out there struggling with similar issues, you're not alone! Keep shining and keep pressing on! You are beautiful. Fill yourself with primary foods—like friends, family, people who love you for you and things you love and all the rest of the eating stuff will fall into place.

Thanks again for sharing your story Katelyn! Take care!

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Oh my gosh, you're welcome!! Thank YOU for sharing!!! I had a chubbier past as well. Our stories are so similar it's scary. I went to the other end of the spectrum in some situations, but I am so glad that you are able to help yourself overcome that challenge. I love love love your message to everyone — it is so true. Peace, love, and hugs! <3

janae jacobs July 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM

WOW!! GIRL, this was an amazing post and I am so grateful you opened up for everyone that has struggled with eating disorders or those that are now struggling with eating disorders! It really is a MENTAL disorder and rarely has anything to do with food. I am SO happy that you are doing so much better! You are beautiful and you are an amazing writer! LOVE YOU SO SO SO MUCH!

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Aweee thank you Janae girl!!!! I love love you, thank you for your sweet words. <3

vegan aphrodite July 19, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Thank you so much fopr sharing this Katelyn! Im so happy for you that you are at a healthier place now :D
My ED started when I was so young, and back then it was because I wanted to be skinny (although I already were). Nowdays, I dont really want to be skinny. I just want to be happy and healthy. But those ED thoughts are so sneaky. And now "he" tells me I have to follow all these rules to be healthy and happy. Which of course is all lies, but it is still so hard to break free!
Have a wonderful day, beautiful girl!

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Aweee you're welcome mah giiiirl! GOOD. I am so glad that your perspective has shifted. You are strong. Thank you thank you <3

Nella July 19, 2011 at 4:53 AM

This was a beautiful, touching post indeed. Thank you for the brave share! I am sure that this would help some girls (as eating disorder is more common among girls than boys) realize what they are doing to themselves and finding help.

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Aweeee you're welcome!! Thank you so much for your kind words.

Jessica July 19, 2011 at 8:09 AM

WOW!!! I literally am tearing up. Thank you so, so much for reaching out. So many girls struggling need this– it is so encouraging when you think you are all alone in your disorder, and then you see posts like this and know that so many other girls have been through this! You are touching so many lives, sweet girl! I have been recovered for a year [i also "lived off" yogurt and special K... yoplait blueberry pie, eeewwww i can't even look at it now, and lets not even talk about the hours of my first year in college i spent in the gym and not livin college/sorority life UP], and these posts are such positive reinforcement. You have a beautiful heart and you are going to do great things with your story!! Thanks for sharing : )
And on a side note, I LOVE your blog!!!

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Ahhhhh you are making my heart swell!!! Your words are so so touching. I'm so glad you like it mah boooooo come back often!!! I've got a giveaway happening tomorrow that you won't wanna miss ;)

logginnbloggin July 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM

You're my favorite <3 Great post girl!!

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM

You're MY favorite.

Leila July 19, 2011 at 9:44 AM

This has nothing to do with your insanely GREAT post, but just thought I'd let you know that I am obsessticles with your bloggy! Have you seen Jessica & Hunter on YouTube?? If not, I totes think you should watch it ASAP – your going to LURVE it :]

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Ahhhhh really?! You just made my daaaaay!! NO I have not but now I am searching for them :))

Katelyn July 20, 2011 at 2:21 AM

AHHH I JUST CHECKED THEM OUT!!! You rock they are freaking hilarious. I am so glad you are obsessed ;) Come back often THERE'S A GIVEAWAY TOMORROW!!!

lactosefreelizzie July 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM

You are such an amazing and inspiring girl and I'm so glad you overcame your eating disorder :) thanks for this great post katelyn!

Katelyn July 20, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Aweee thank you! And you are WELCOME.

Lea Geddie July 19, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Thank you for posting this. A close friend of mine is struggling with an eating disorder and it's heartbreaking to watch how it is changing her. Thankfully things are starting to get better but it's still tough to watch her struggle and while feeling like there's nothing I can do to help. But, it's inspiring to read your story and see what you've overcome.
Eating disorders are a really misunderstood disease but impact so many lives, so thank you for being brave enough to open up and shed some light on such an important topic.

Katelyn July 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Oh my gosh. What a heartbreaking thing to go through!! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I can only hope and pray that you will be able to help her get the love and help she needs and deserves.

MissAshleyylala July 20, 2011 at 1:14 AM

What a BEAUTIFUL post- gives me hope! My issue is that I've always known about plenty of "Fat Ladies" in my life- giving me unconditional love, even when I didn't deserve it or even tried to sabotage it. i didn't realize at the time, but I've tested a lot of relationships just because I didn't think I was worthy. I'm learning to trust others and to love myself. Right now I have over 200lbs to lose because I didn't love myself enough. That realization has just come recently–I am determined that this year I will beat this! I don't fully know how, but this has to stop. I know I'm worth so much more. And my "Fat ladies: deserve more from me. Thanks for sharing! You're a blessing!

Katelyn July 20, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Oh my gosh. Thank you SO much for sharing your story!!! You ARE worthy, and oh my gosh you have a beautiful soul because you can SEE that, and have so many people that love you. xoxox

pbbrittany August 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM

This is an absolutely amazing post. I'm so glad I found your blog! It made me tear up because I kinda know what you're talking about. I have never gotten scary skinny, but my parents have worried about my eating and my exercising. It's so hard to change my way of thinking of food, but it's happening! I love this post. You are an amazing person!!

Louella Hertzler January 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I agree with you. Be sure to keep writing more great articles like this one.