Get Off My Internets

by Katelyn Block on December 4, 2011 · 41 comments

Hey there sunshiny friends. I hope you are having a good morning and that it is sunny where you are!

I was having a rough day yesterday which was unexplainable and probably due to the icky weather here in Upstate New York. Not a fan.

Something else that I am also not a fan of, is a lovely little website called Get Off My Internets.

I was recently told by a friend that there is a forum on the website about Chef Katelyn, and at first I was able to shake it off. I love writing here and although my writing style, content, and voice have changed dramatically over the last year and three to four months of blogging, it hurt my feelings to see the things people had to say in the forum.

I don’t write this blog for anyone but myself. This is my outlet, and this is me. For all of my friends in “real life”, it is a known fact that I am generally a happy person and like to see other people happy as well. I’m a bubbly person. I like to read the New York Times, drink coffee, be silly with my friends, and Skype with my dog family.

As for the readers that seem to think they have seen a “beer bottle” in any of my photos, please let me know when and where you saw this because I will gladly take a good hard look at it and be sure that any suspicion is clarified.

So, sorry I’m not sorry. If you enjoy reading here then please stick around, but if you don’t, please don’t say awful things about myself and other people that put themselves out there for the world to see. As with all other human beings, getting my feelings hurt just hurts.

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats December 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Pay them no mind, these are the same people that are the reason Moves N’ Munchies stopped blogging, which still makes me super sad.

And I have never seen any illegal substances in your pictures, haha!

Lee @ Fit Foodie Finds December 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM

wow. that forum is obscene and honestly you shouldn’t listen to any of that. they clearly have too much time on their hands. you are happy. do not let anyone who is not, bring you down. i love your poop comments.

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I love you.

Hollie@lolzthatswim December 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I actually had a GOMI thread a while back. Don’t worry about it girl. Ew New Yorks weather yesterday was frigid and unacceptable!

You handled this really well girl. :)

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Thanks love.

Heather @ For the Love of Kale December 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I checked out that forum…and oh my word. I know that forums like that one exist I, like you, tend to avoid negativity in any form. You’re way better than this – because you know who you are! You’re a wonderful person with a kind heart. That’s what will fuel your life. <3

I actually feel really sorry for the people in those forums because they're obviously weighed down by lack of self esteem and/or pure ignorance…and that saddens me. I hope one day they can open their eyes and see the beauty in what us healthy living bloggers do. :-)

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Love yous.

Lisa December 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I guess all people who post about their lives on the Internet are taking a risk of being criticized! Free speech and all—it’s a great thing, and it can be really hateful too.

You know, there’s that saying, “What other people say about you is none of your business.” (or something like that) The unnatural thing about the Internet is that those mean things people think are in print and they’re too accessible.

The true testament to your character is that you read, processed, and acknowledged what was said—and you’re still You.

One of life’s weirdest lessons occurs when we realize not everyone is going to like us, no matter how nice, sincere, well-brought-up, fun, etc…we are. As a blogger, I suppose you just get to experience this publicly, and you’ve already shown you can shoulder it gracefully.

I’m proud of you—as your Older Friend, I feel protective of you, but I can see that you don’t need protection because you’re a strong beautiful young woman who has a lot of great things to say and you’re not afraid to say what you feel and think.

…And now, we should schedule a S’bux date.

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I love love love you. YES sbux date pwease. I miss you and can\’t wait to be home in a week and a half and see you. Phone chat soon to plan!

Liz Marchese December 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM

You’re a college student, this is the time of your life to have a good time! As long as your not hurting anyone and being true to yourself, then everyone else that has a problem with it don’t matter! Haters will always hate and get more satisfaction out of hurting other people then addressing their own faults. Just “Do You” !

Dolce December 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Katelyn I just want to let you know I love your blog! I love reading your posts, they are hilarious. Keep doing what you’re doing girl!!!:)

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Ahaha. Thank you.

John December 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I’m not trying to be a troll or anything because I actually do really enjoy your blog and I think those people on GOMI need to get a life… but there are pictures of you with beer bottles on your post from the Healthy Living Summit. I remember that because when I originally read that post and saw those pictures I kind of thought it was a bad idea for an under-ager, such as yourself, to be posting photos online of themselves with alcohol.

Katelyn December 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Thank you for your kind honesty. I should have clarified in the post, but since I am underage, that is root beer. I may be a Healthy Living Blogger, but I love a solid soda.

Brynne December 4, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Love you boo! Can’t hate on the haters for being jealous of you!

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Love you too chica!

kaila@ healthy helper blog! December 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM

That site created a forum about me too. They say really hurtful things but I’ve just learned to stop reading them because the people are not worth my time or energy. I don’t need that negativity in my life! I like the attitude you’re taking towards this…stay positive girl!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness December 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM

It’s so stupid. You obviously have so many readers who love your writing style and who aren’t going anywhere, so never worry about justifying anything you write about. Even the beer! You’re in college, who cares?!!! Anyone who is shocked that you’re drinking in college is obviously living either under a rock or in 1955.

xoxo keep the amazing attitude girlie <3

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Ahahahaha love you. Thank you.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats December 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I love your blog girl and the people on those forums obviously have entirely too much time on their hands. Do you! :)

Hillary December 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Katelyn,

The internet can be cruel. I’m a 35 year old “grown up” and I enjoy reading your blog everyday. Keep it coming please! :)

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Thank you.

Katy December 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I dont know of any beer bottles or what not on the blog, but you do talk about vodka and wine on twitter, alot. Or used to, at least. I’m not hating, I enjoy a good drink myself, but since your twitter it’s attatched to your blog, I figured I’d mention it, since you asked and all.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 4, 2011 at 2:12 PM

This is ridiculous. Don’t listen to any negativity from other people! They are obviously jealous or want to get a reaction out of you. Be yourself! xo

Caitlin December 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM

DOOOOOD im gonna power punt whoever the c u next tuesday was that says ish about you.

seriously they need to grow the fudge up

Caitlin December 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

totally looking over that website…there is a WHOOOOLE lot of hating going on. but maybe you should be honored they are judging you because that means your an “it” blogger hahahaha

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Ahahahah thank you Caitlin. Love you.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 4, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Let’s take a different spin on this: you’re cool enough that they created a forum about you.

Pay them no mind my dear – ” No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Thanks Chels. Have I ever told you how much I love you? (ps it\’s a lot)

Lizzie December 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM

don’t pay attention to GOMI, the best thing to do is ignore it and move on–which is exactly what you are doing :)

Lyn @ FueledBySalad December 4, 2011 at 9:21 PM

This is totally stupid. Forums like that exist to spread the hate – keep a positive attitude and ignore the trolls!

Kathleen December 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Those people on that forum are so wrong — you are wonderful JUST THE WAY YOU ARE. :)

Alyssa @ Don't Look Down December 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM

This is so annoying. If people don’t like the things you are saying, then they can stop reading/following/etc. There is no need to complain about it publicly on the internet.

Keep writing. :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence December 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Sorry you had to deal with them. They really, really suck. But you are sticking to being you and moving on and that is what matters most. Here for you girl!

Kimberly December 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM

It’s the internet…you’re writing on a public forum and you can’t expect everyone to like you or everything you say. Everyone has the right to their opinion. With that being said, your blog is cute and makes me nostalgic for my college years.

Katelyn December 6, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Ahaha. Thank you.

Claire December 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Perhaps some of the things they said were true? As a 19 year old college student studying Nutrition, I should, in theory, love to read your blog. However, by referring to readers as “buckets of monster poop!” I just can’t. I have silly little things with my friends as well, but NO ONE I know feels the need to call people that. We’re young and can do/say/write what we want, so go for it. But getting butthurt about other’s observations just shows that either 1. deep down you know they are right, or 2. you aren’t confident enough in who you are to refute their comments without having a post like this to have people compliment you.

Either way, you’ve got years to figure it out. Best wishes.

Dolce December 5, 2011 at 4:49 PM

She already saw rude things said about her, so why do you feel the need to add to it?

Erika December 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM

It’s really sad that people waste the time to bash other people. I’ve never commented on your blog but I read it every single day and think you are effing hilarious woman and you make me laugh. Don’t let idiots bring you down. Anybody who puts themselves out there in the public is going to face criticism from some people. But that doesn’t mean you don’t have a lot of fans also. And people are a bit ridiculous when they are criticizing the language you use. You are clearly joking and why people feel the need to be so serious, I’m not quite sure. In my opinion you look extremely happy & like you’re having the time of your life. And that is why I just took 5 minutes to write this when I should desperately be studying for finals!

Katelyn December 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Ah. Thank you for your kind words. It was music to my ears. Have a good rest of your night!