The Eightfold Path for Today

by Katelyn Block on December 7, 2011 · 17 comments

Gooood morning sunshine buckets! How are ya?

I am so sleepy. I have bio in approximately…really soon and I’m not a huge fan.

IN OTHER NOTES, Funk’n Waffles (a nearby waffle joint that hosts philanthropy events) is hosting “Funk’n Latkes” in honor of all of our Hanukkah-celebrating students.

And those of us that just like to eat Latkes.

Needless to say, I want some Latkes. I am not Jewish, but I’m not really “anything”. I like to believe in greater meaning, but I’ve never been sure if I believe in God.

I love a lot of the cultures that surround religion. I think that the practices and beliefs of Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, and the Muslim faiths are all beautiful in their own respects. Many of these things I bring into my everyday life.

Buddha’s Eight-Fold Path is a good guide to every day life.

Each day, it’s important to remember the foundations.

Right View

Above all, have the right view. See the world as a good place, and the people around you, as good people. Having a positive outlook is important in any walk of life, especially when in school, looking for a job, or maintaining a career or relationship.

Right Intentions

Have good intentions every day. Look for the choice that is most beneficial with others and yourself in mind. Choose with compassion and love.

Right Mindfulness

Be mindful in everything you do. Think before you speak. Think before you act. Don’t eat that delicious-looking cookie if it’s, like, your twelfth.

Right Concentration

Put your energy in the right places. Don’t spend all of your time in something that doesn’t move your progress forward or feed your passion.

Right Effort

Put positive effort into everything you do. Don’t put the “busy” in “busywork”. Enjoy what you do, and put your whole self into it so you know you put in your best effort.

Right Speech

Speak kind words. Speak helpful words. Speak hopeful words. When you think about what you say (back to the Right Mindfulness idea) and how you will say it, you will be happier in what you do, and others will be as well.

Right Livelihood

Maintain good health, both mentally and physically. Eat whole foods, and make color a theme in your life. Move as much as you can. Having a gym membership is not a necessity, but are nice for those living in the suburbs. Walk as much as you can, and bike instead of driving when it’s within reach. Spend consciously, and purposefully distinguish needs from wants. Learn who you are. Explore, make mistakes, create connections, and love yourself. Self-peace comes through following the previous seven steps and loving your soul through its depths.

That’s all for now, muffins!

I’m off to biology and then I will be spending the day studying… and eventually working out.

Check out my guest post over at Fresh Squeezed Fashion!

It’s on dressing well in the Upfrost New York frigid months, so y’all should probably have a look at that.

Tip of the Day: Free Starbucks Coffee…Every Day! (via As Good as it Guests)

Are you a religious person?

What are your views on the eightfold path with everyday life?

xoxox,

Katelyn

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! December 7, 2011 at 7:24 AM

I love the 8 fold path! I have always thought it was such a great way to lead life….regardless of what religion it has to do with! Its message is great! I’m not religious but living your life with those principles in mind makes perfect sense!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness December 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM

LOVE. THIS. I’m Christian but totally practice Buddhist philosophy. So excited… one of the seminars I’m taking next semester is Buddhism and Psychology and I literally cannot contain myself.

Chara December 7, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Interesting post, but I’d have to disagree on quite a few aspects :]. We got to see the true out-workings of Buddhism in Thailand when working to get girls out of prostitution. Also, while in Bali, we got to see how Hinduism worked, as well has having many friends from India and who’ve worked in India. The girls hated what they did but knew that they had to work or else bring shame to their families. If they brought shame then there was no way they’d be reincarnated as anything even remotely good. They didn’t even try to leave. So they were stuck being raped by random men. True story, though I wish it wasn’t so. We weren’t even in Bangkok, but a smaller place called Phuket down south. In the tiny red light district there, there were thousands of prostitutes, even little a girl who were offered to us by her mom. I suspect there were more children being prostituted than just that one too, as there were multiple running around. The west changed Buddhism into something a bit more palatable than what they practice in the east. If you think about it logically, you can definitely see how this comes about.

As far as Hinduism, that’s a bit of a different story as far as we saw it. The way the gypsies are treated in India is shameful. But that’s their lot in life, and they given any respect or love by the Hindus. The few Christian missionaries going in there are the only ones who bother showing them any kindness by and large, just ask them. And I know there are many Hindus who feel compassion on them, but it would be social suicide for someone of another class to associate with them. Hindus have relatively little peace, living in fear of evil spirits [ask anyone from India or Bali about who they know who's demon-possessed... you'll hear some really creepy stuff], and whether their good works will be enough to outweigh their bad. It’s a very oppressive system, and a very sad one at that. While there is some good to be found in it, yes, that stuff is just common sense honestly. I personally would never give any sort of endorsement of either of these religions because as a whole, they are awful for the people underneath them. It’s not right to say something’s good just because people took a few truths from it, you have to look at the underlying belief system as a whole. Truth is always truth and lies are always lies. Simple as that.

I understand that most people have never looked into it or had the experience we did, and I’m not saying for a second everyone who practices Buddhism is engaged in sex-trafficking, or that everyone who practices Hinduism hates gypsies. I just encourage everyone to do a bit more research before saying a certain religion is good and worth adhering to certain points of it. It’s worthwhile to research the whole of it and see the many fallacies in the different religions. I personally hate religion because I’ve seen almost no good come out of it. I believe that there definitely is a God, as that’s obvious just by looking around. I studied engineering in university and after the huge load of science classes we had to take, I had no other option but to conclude that the world was created by an intelligent designer despite earlier doubts I had.

Anyways, good post, enjoyed reading it. Have checked out your blog a few times now and definitely would encourage you to pursue writing. You have talent :].

Katelyn December 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Thank you for your insight! I agree wholeheartedly on the treatment of many of the people under the religion. However, this post was mainly to highlight a specific aspect brought out by the culture of buddhism that should be absorbed and taken in stride, common sense or not. I do not know enough about the religion to make any kind of judgement call or analysis, but I do believe that the eightfold principles should be appreciated. Thank you for commenting, and for the good conversation!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness December 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I’m Catholic. I may not practice as heavily as my parents or other faithful churchgoers, however, it’s nice to have a sense of community that believes in something. I really need to get my butt to church soon…

Katelyn December 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Many of the Catholic practices are also beautiful. I love much of the artwork, especially the beauty of the cathedrals. I haven't been to church in forevaaaa. Over break I'll try to go…at least once. #pathetic #notgonnahappen #we'llsee

Caitlin December 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Can I just say I love being called a sunshine bucket? It might be my new favorite greeting.

Katelyn December 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM

hehe.

Dolce December 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I’m a strong believer in God and my Savior, and if I could, I’de tell the whole darn world:) I am a full-hearted Christian, and always will be. I am a non-denominantional Christian, which to me means I am just a Christian, not a baptist, or methodist, etc. However, I do think other people’s religions are very fascinating and totally respect their personal beliefs.

Katelyn December 7, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Very interesting! I was raised Methodist, although both of my parents were raised Presbyterian. I agree, mutual respect is so important.

serendipitousmornings December 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Thank you for this! The eight-fold path is something to strive to remember every day. It seems simple, yet we forget the simple things in life the most.

Thank you for reminding us!

xoox

Katelyn December 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM

That is very true. Have a great night!

VanessaG December 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I am a Christian and love Jesus and so thankful I accepted him into my life in 8th grade. I want the whole world to know his love and how he longs to have a deep relationship with him. I don’t know how people do without him. My words, my actions, and my life is centered on him and his word (the Bible). However, although I believe there is only one way to Heaven and that’s throug Jesus Christ, I don’t look down on others that don’t. I pray for them and try to love them like Christ would. You see, Jesus has been with me through the good and bad times. It was him who answered my prayer about my college (my dream school), him (and only him) who helped me throgh my e.d., and him who healed my little bro when NO doctor gave him hope and couldn’t even tell what was wrong. He’s blessed me more than I ever deserve and I want to bring him honor and glory for it. I fail everyday, but I’m thankful and know he still loves me. I do love the 8 ideas you posted and think it a great way to be, but as for me I know in my heart that my guidelines come from Gods word. It’s my roadmap, my sword and shield, and instruction manuel. :)

Stephanie December 8, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Wow! My family is Buddhist and it’s such a pleasant experience to see buddhism being more known to others! This is great, Katelyn!! Thnx :D

sandeep sadaphule June 10, 2012 at 2:07 AM

buddha,s noble eight fold path is such an enlighten path. It gives a right view to live the life and gives me a chance to view that where i stand in mindfulness, right vision’s of various aspects of life. I just dream to follow the path in a very practical manner.