For the love of homemade mocha java.

by Katelyn Block on January 2, 2012 · 12 comments

I am having an amazing upon amazing day. And I am happy. Hellooooo coffee smiles! Hellloooooo snow! (the first of the season, mind you)

I have to apologize that there are no pictures in today’s post. How boring of me. Well too bad because I like to think my words are highly colorful, don’t you think? I made homemade mocha java coffee yum yum out of our:

• Starbucks Christmas Blend coffee (that we freeze to keep it fresh — how clever of ma-ma-Madre)
  • unsweetened Ghirardelli cocoa powder (aka magic in a can)
  • NuNaturals stevia
  • unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze

Usually I am a fan of black coffee (with stevia only — no milk), but lately I’ve been loving the luxury that the almond milk brings. No soy milk, though. It has such a strange taste, and I’ve never been a fan. Tofu, however, I will eat any day. Madre? Dinner? Tonight? Ok good deal.

Did I mention it snowed today? Yeah? I guess I’m just really excited because I live in Snow Country (or Upfrost New York as I like to call it), and I haven’t seen any snow until now this entire season. What is wrong with America. I want to go cross-country skiing! I used to do that so much as a child, it was byfar one of my favorite things to do. I used to live in Concord, NH and would go around the corner to a ball field where there were always groomed trails. From a very young age, I was taught the joy that is cross-country skiing, watching with awe as my Dad zoomed down the trails with a grace only he could muster. My cross-country skiing days were filled with trucking along (ch-ch-chhh), and occasionally falling over when I went down the hills. Those were the most fun, although they scared me terribly.

That reminds me — I hope you all know how afraid of heights I am. I think it comes from being so small, or maybe the fact that I never learned how to down-hill ski (it was always “too dangerous”). Although I do love airplanes. Something about seeing beautiful landscapes from the comfort of a lounge chair and free pretzels makes me a happy camper.

Posts of Note:

• Perfecting Perfectionism (via the ever-lovely Jenny): This girl has always had a spunk I adore, and wrote an unbelievably raw post today about her struggle with eating disorders and gaining weight.
  • Today Marks Two Years (via the always-sweet Courtney): Having spent time with Courtney this summer, reading her post about her second-year anniversary with her husband Jay warmed my heart. She is such a loving person, and they are such a joy to read about each day.
  • DISCLAIMER: BEFORE YOU STUMBLE FURTHER (via my best friend in the entire world Sarah): I helped her start a blog this weekend and I am so incredibly proud and happy to read her blog posts. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

xoxo,
Katelyn

Miz January 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM

annnd now I wants me some mocha java.
and snow.
and snugglage with the husband :-)

Katelyn Block January 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Wishing I had a husband. #justkidding #tooyoung

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life January 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Awww, girl, you are TOO sweet! Thank you so much for the awesome shout-out! Hopefully we’ll get a chance to get together soon…and then you can make me one of those amazing-sounding mocha java’s, mmmkay? ;)

Katelyn Block January 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Yes!! I get back to da cuse on the 14th, aka we need to meet up on some weekend. <3

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee January 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM

oh my gosh no snow? that stinks! i love snow but i’ve come not to expect it, living in texas. it snowed last feb though! it rocked. i can’t wait to read your friend’s blog! :)

Katelyn Block January 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM

WE GOT SNOW TODAY!!! :)

Diana January 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Cross country? LOVE IT. I’ve been skiing (downhill first, then cross country) since the age of three, and I just went again today to continue my three day streak. It’s such a fun workout, and I’m lucky to have the mountains so close – our local cross country trails are wonderfully hilly so you actually do get to sweat a bit! That said, if you’re afraid of heights, some of our slopes are a bit steep when you head down after coming up them, but exhilarating nonetheless ;)

Katelyn Block January 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

So jeal! I wish we had nice mountains around here. All we have is Bristol with the fake snow. Not cool.

Diana January 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Aww. I’m pretty spoiled as far as facilities go (we had the Olympics here back in 2010), but there is definitely a lack of snow on the trails too – we’ve got creeks coming down beside the runs. They almost need to start making snow :(

julie January 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM

omg i’m OBSESSED lately with making my own cappuchinos using my new frother haha i can’t stop frothing everything!

Katelyn Block January 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM