Tea a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

by Katelyn Block on January 15, 2012 · 13 comments

Good morning, my friends of sunshine! I can actually say that today because it is sunny and beautiful, and not a blizzard. It’s a wonderful life.

When I woke up this morning (for the third time), I checked to see if it was a reasonable hour to get up (it was), and continued to drink a whole 1.5 liters of water. Homegirl was THIRSTY, and my throat desperately needed it. You really don’t want to hear me talk right now. I sound half amphibian.

Had to brew some tea. Obviously. Christening the new semester with some echinacea tea? Double bagged? Good plan.

As you all know every well, I kind of am obsessed with this cup. How could I not be?

Pre-brunch snack of applesauce from my HLS Swag Bag. I still have a million things to use up from that swag, including some ever-famous phyllo cups. Maybe I’ll use them for baby quiches!

Before I get ready for brunch, a quick word. I mentioned last night that I am now blessed with a giant, beautiful room all to myself. I am so stinkin excited and happy I can’t even explain to you. My roommate from last semester and I started off as good friends, but around Halloween weekend (isn’t that when it all happens?), we didn’t get along so well anymore. We come from very different families, towns; we are very different people. And that’s okay. But, when it came to a point where our room was no longer a home, something had to be done. She moved out (thank God), and now I have this giant, beautiful room all to myself because I wasn’t assigned a new roommate. Baller. status.

I’m a bubbly, social person, but when it comes to my living space, I like having a place where I can just hang out that is my own. Having a roommate was an easy transition, but after being home for a month, I realized that I would love having a single (or an apartment) with a room to call my own. I like waking up and going to sleep when I want to, and not when my roommate decides to turn out her lights or wake up and turn them back on. I love the freedom of being able to open the window curtains without asking first. And mostly, I love the solitude. When I come home from class, or into my room from the lounge, I am looking for quiet and time to myself. I get so much more work done (both school and blog work) when I am in my own space and not distracted.

I am so happy, and so excited. I’ve only said that three times, but it’s true. Freedom to use one bed for sleeping and one for a couch, two closets and two wardrobes — best. thing. ever.

Have a wonderful Sunday! And enjoy the sunshine. ;)

Is it sunny where you are?

What is your favorite brunch tradition?

xoxo,
Katelyn

chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I had my roommate from freshman year move out 3 weeks after school started and had a single for the rest of the year, it is seriously the best! I live in an apartment off-campus now with my best friends, but still have my own bed room..I definitely could never go back to sharing my own room!
Have a great second semester:)

Katelyn Block January 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Isn’t it the greatest? All of my floormates are jeal because it is quite possibly the best room in Syracuse. So they all come. It’s the new social hub.

Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath January 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hey–just came across your blog, and I’m already looking forward to following it. It’s sunny where I am today, but VERY cold! Have a great day! ;)

Katelyn Block January 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Wheeeee! So glad you found me :) It is FREEZING here. Bundle up!

Diana January 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Aww, that’s awesome that you’ve got your own room now! I’m lucky enough to have had my own room and bathroom from the start, and I would go crazy if I had to share with someone who I didn’t get along with.

It is gorgeously sunny here (seriously, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky this morning), and I’m loving it. For a city that supposedly gets a ton of rain, it seems to be absolutely beautiful 90% of the time :)

Katelyn Block January 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The joys of going to school in Europe. #jealous

Mallory @ Have Your Cake January 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

sorry the roommate situation didn’t work out — it’s not the first time i’ve heard a story like that before though, so you’re not alone!

when i was a freshman in college i was lucky enough to be assigned a single. i met my best friend who lived in a single a couple doors down from me (who also had a single) and we’re still VERY good friends to this day (i graduated in May). i’m convinced it’s cause we never roomed together. haha! singles ROCK! enjoy it!

Katelyn Block January 15, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Don’t be sorry! All for the best ;) YOU ARE SO LUCKY. Seriously, the best friendships are with people that are NOT your roommate. True life.

Molly@This Life Is Sparkling January 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

That’s how I feel! I hated sharing a room with a complete stranger. It’s awful. I decided to transfer schools and live at home (Momma’s girl at heart ;)) so I guess my roommate gets a room to herself. But now I can have my own room at home, with a kitchen. I call it a win-win :)

Katelyn Block January 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Haha aw! I don’t think I could eeeever live at home. I love my own freedom and my own space too much :)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee January 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

That cup is adorable! Sorry that you and your roommate didn’t mesh well. I guess it just doesn’t always work out.

Katelyn Block January 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM

No need to be sorry! I have a room aaaaall to myself ;)

Lorin January 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM

I totally get what you are saying. I’m a second year but last year me and my roommate got along most of the time, but I liked doing my own thing and I think she had hurt feelings from that. Luckily though we are still friends and I talked to her tonight but there was a REALLY REALLY bad week between us. A lot of the time I would just avoid my room because I didn’t want to be in there if I was. Now, I have an apartment with 5 other girls and I have my own room which is nice because I can have it be dirty and I can keep the light on when I want ect. ect. 3 of my roommates I”m not super close to but everyone is pretty nice. Sometimes they have friends over which is great but they can make me feel as if I’m a stranger in my own apartment which can be annoying. I defintely enjoy being able to come back to a quiet apartment, not one wehre I have to try to get space to cook dinner and deal with loud guys talking while me and my other roommate are just trying to unwind to t.v. They are nice people but sometimes you really just want that downtime. In college you are always surrounded by people. Glad it worked out for you..