True Life:

by Katelyn Block on January 22, 2012 · 17 comments

I just woke up. Last night was cold and tiring but it’s fine. My reasoning: I don’t have any. Maybe it was a tribute to Boeheim and the boys. We still love you! Promise ;)

Jimmy John’s at 3:30 am.

Yes, that is deli turkey. And wheeee! It was good. I never said I was an -itarian of any kind, except now I would kind of like to say that I enjoy a see-food diet of sometimes healthy things. Basically I eat whatever I want. Most of the time it’s plant yummies, and I think it’s because that is how I was raised. I like all of de foods.

Beach Club on wheat. Delicious.

I majorly need some brunch and some coffee. Before that happens, I am going to talk about something dear to my heart, because it is something that has been on my mind a lot the last few days. No one said dorm life was magical all┬áthe time, but when I notice my floormates getting salty with one another, it can get rough. College kids don’t mess around, and the weekends are the prime time for this to happen.

True Life Wisdom

I really think that when people get upset with each other, there’s something that they are not seeing. Each person misses something the other is saying, doing, or feeling, and we often forget that the other person is a person, just like we are.

I encourage you to see others as people today, and really put yourself in their shoes. There is a common misconception that you should just look at the surrounding circumstances. What I have found the most effective is to really put myself as the other person, and think about what they are saying, and how they are saying it. What would cause you to say that? What were you feeling? I think that you can really understand the other person better, and maybe see that the other person is also hurt.

True life, I like to get philosophical sometimes when I sleep a lot.

What are your thoughts on putting yourself in another’s mindset?

How was your weekend!

xoxo,
Katelyn

Diana January 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I get what you’re saying. That said, when a large group of people have rationally discussed a certain individual’s actions that have been occurring for a decent period of time, something can (and should) be said. Yeah, we’ve got the same thing happening here. You’re not kidding when you say we don’t mess around. (Especially at fashion school – we’re not all bitchy, but there are a few of those ones out here…)

Katelyn Block January 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

That is so true. And valid. I am in full agreement. I was talking more about people randomly (and often, drunkenly) getting upset for next to no reason. Being the mediator for your friends is rough. Your comment is really great though, I hope it sparks some great discussion!

Diana January 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Ahh, yes – drunken ragers are a different story altogether. My predicament (or rather, my friend’s) should have a rather interesting ending, but hopefully nothing too explosive.

Lauren January 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I’m really gonna miss college nights and late night snacks (falafel!) next year. Of course, it can still happen – I just won’t have the “I’m in college excuse.” That definitely happens in college, especially living in dorms. Sometimes, just removing yourself from the situation and going somewhere else or going to bed if you’re not in the best state is the best option.

Katelyn Block January 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

FALAFEL <333

KaraHadley January 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to be more compassionate, so I’m definitely in favor of seeing things from someone else’s perspective. But at the same time, there’s a fine line between being compassionate and letting yourself get rolled over.
Oh, and since when does JJ have regular bread?!?! I thought they only had sub bread.

Katelyn Block January 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

It’s very true. Move with caution. Also YES — they have whole grain bread! It’s so good too.

Sana January 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I eat all the food i see ;)

Katelyn Block January 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I like yo style.

Olivia January 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM

That drama sounds lame but your sandwich looks delish! That bread in particular…. yumm!

Katelyn Block January 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Around here, we call it “flama” = floor drama.

Taryn January 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

What a small stinkin’ world! I’ve been scoping out the blog-o-sphere in my effort to become a part-time vegan (I’ve been a dairy consuming pescetarian for the last 12 years) I stumbled upon your blog. I am originally from Rochester, and I did my undergraduate studies at Syracuse, and I’m addicted to coffee, tea and oat bran. I loved SU, miss it something fierce!

As per the drams, let me tell you my observation about SU second semester of freshman year. This is the time one of three things happen:
1. They fall victim to SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). This is particularly true for peeps from states with perpetual warmth and sun. They get snappy because they don’t know how to deal with it. You should be good though, just try to be patient ;o)
2. They miss their friends and family unbearably. For most this realization comes after winter break. My freshman roommate had this, she felt like she was missing out on what was happening at home, she gave it a good shot but ended up transferring at the end of sophomore year. Again, snappiness resulted from frustration.
3. You embrace the icky weather, the insane homework, you find the major that makes you happy, friends who support and care about you, and you strive.

I totally have faith that you’re a #3! Please also go to the Unique Tea House on Marshall and have a Papaya Milk Bubble Tea in my honor! (oh, and sorry for the short essay)

Katelyn Block January 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

omg!!!! NEVER be sorry for leaving an essay! I love those ;) I can’t believe we’re basically life twins. Who woulda thunk? I agree with you 1230842%. Completely accurate. And yes, I thiiiink I’m a #3, but I also miss my family unbearably. They’re only an hour away, but when I skyped with them tonight, I was close to tears. Where // what are you doing now? I love hearing post-SU stories!

Sarah January 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Ohhh I like this post! True life so true! Dorm life can get crazy roommates can get even crazier. I like the thoughts :)

Katelyn Block January 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Good thing I don’t have a roommate anymore!

kalamckala December 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

So inspiring. This is what I think and feel everyday but haven’t quite managed to put it in Post-form yet…expect a pingback soon!