DIY: Sea Salt Spray

by Katelyn Block on January 24, 2012 · 22 comments

It’s no secret that I don’t like washing my hair. While it smells nice and makes you feel clean (two things that most people should enjoy), I would rather sit on my couch or go frolicking around campus than take a shower and re-do my hair, makeup, and put on a new outfit. While many would argue that showering in the morning is a good thing, I would argue that coffee and sunshine are even better.

Priorities, people.

Occasionally, I’ll walk to class, stop and see my reflection and seriously ask myself, what were you thinking? My hair turns out to be just a pile of flat gorgeousness, thanks to the weather and my lack of ability to give two popsicles about my hair at any time. So I panic, and ask myself (I talk to myself a lot), To shower or not to shower. That is the question.

The answer 8/10 times is a resounding no. Kaybye, sudsy soap. I’d rather take the cheap route. Enter: DIY Sea Salt Spray. There are a million products on the market, telling you that you need to buy this bottle right here of sea salt spray, but folks, they are all a bunch of lies. Who needs to spend money when you can use just two ingredients?

Pin It

All you need is a drug-store spray bottle** or a recycled water bottle. Poland Spring will do. Just don’t go and buy a new water bottle just for this, kay?

As for the salt — I’m a salt snob (guilty as charged), and got the above Himalayan Sea Salt from Trader Joe’s awhile back. In the past however, I have used dining hall salt, which you can pour into a baggy // cup and take with you. If you’re not that thrifty, grab a handful of salt packets and stuff them in your pocket. I can almost guarantee you they would not mind one bit.

Boom. Salt, shake, and spray. It’s that easy. I was incredibly scared that my hair would end up being flat, but praise the sweet baby Jesus for salt from the sea. The salt spray revamps your hair by soaking up the water. When it absorbs into your hair, it volumizes. Sea salt is ionic; therefore, it keeps your frizz in check. How’s that for some daily chemistry?

The result:

Voluminous, beachy hair. If you prefer (or have more time than I do), heat up a curling iron while you blow-dry and add some subtle waves. Beachy FTW.

What do you do when your hair goes blah?

Check out my guest post over at the FitFluential blog!

xoxo,
Katelyn

** image removed because it was too big and I didn’t like it.

Jay January 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM

You might want to read the Pin Etiquette:

Avoid Self Promotion
Pinterest is designed to curate and share things you love. If there is a photo or project you’re proud of, pin away! However, try not to use Pinterest purely as a tool for self-promotion.

Katelyn Block January 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Juliette, thank you for your comment. I am proud of this project, even though it is something small. I spent a lot of time on this post and making the graphic. Pinterest is for sharing things that fascinate you and that you want to share with others — this is something I want to share. Thanks for reading!

Jamie Pelaez May 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

So let me get this straight… It’s not okay to repurpose your own content aka curate it and it is not okay to love your own things and want to share them?

Error… Your logic does not compute.

Many times we share what we have and love (whether something we made or bought or have been given) and what we do not have but wish we had.

This makes life fun and interesting and sites like Pinterest more appealing. Sharing knowledge is the greatest gift whether you came up with it yourself or from somewhere else. Who cares, if she wrote the post herself (besides you apparently) as long as it is something interesting and of value?

It is also pretty clear, if you take even a short glance at her pins she is not just ‘self-promoting’.

Some comment etiquette Jay… Please review things like the person’s pin boards before passing on your pin etiquette err I mean judgment via their blog comments.

It’s just the right thing to do.

Blessing to you & yours!

Jamie Pelaez
Skype: jamie.pelaez

Olivia January 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I also hateeee washing my curly hair and will often wait til it absolutely looks bad even in a ponytail! I have no tricks though, but usually us curly haired girls can get away with it longer!

Katelyn Block January 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM

It’s true! My hair is soooo fine, I often have to wash it every day.

Michaela January 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I have curly hair, too! It is soooo easy for me, I just wash it and let it air-dry (takes about 20 minutes max, my hair is really fine) and people always ask me what I did and how long it took me ;)
What I do, when I don´t feel like washing it every day, is to just put it into a high bun without brushing it, I only fluff it a bit with my hands. On top of that I put a glittery hairband and I am ready to go :) (with that I went 3 entire days without washing my hair, success ;))

Katelyn Block January 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM

My hair is soooo fine! Another reason why I’m so lazy. Washing every day = major issue. That is such a cute idea! Aaaaand I just got a couple of those in the mail ;)

Christina @ The Athletarian January 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

How did I never hear about this sea salt trick?! Genius. I usually have to wash every day because of my sweaty beast workouts but I think you may have just found me a solution… :D

Katelyn Block January 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM

There’s a cheater’s solution to everything. ;)

Brandy January 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

What the… I had never heard of that sea salt thing before. I am dirty and hate showering too lol. Maybe that’s why I’m 29 and single? FML. j/k. I usually use dry shampoo (the “Pssst” brand is the best.. the Tre Semme stuff is awful!) but I’ll definitely be giving the sea salt thing a try.. .

Katelyn Block January 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Hahaha omg STOOOOP. I’ve heard about that brands! And I’ve heard good things. I have also made my own dry shampoo before. That one’s to come!

Courtney January 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Hi Katelyn,

I just found your blog today and I love it! Does this trick help with oily hair too? I hate washing my hair but I have to because it gets oily after one day, major bummer :( Any tips?

Thanks!

Katelyn Block January 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Ah! Yay :) I hope you keep coming back!! Yes it really does. That’s part of the reason I used it today! It LOOKED oily, but wasn’t at all. This fixed that right away. Mine is the same way — I use this trick very often, and I also use a bit of cornstarch or baking soda powder in my hair. Works wonderfully!

Theodora January 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Interesting! I <3 the bumble + bumble spray, even if it's basically a $20 bottle of what you just made. I'll have to try this when my bottle's done.

Katelyn Block January 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Bumble + Bumble = love the name. How cute? Let me know what you think!

Ann @ Day By Day January 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Wow that’s awesome! I’m a huge fan of dry shampoo, so I’ll definitely try that. I usually buy Klorane (powder kind not spray can), but Sephora quit carrying the kind I like. I can’t wait to try this. Oh and I’m totally with you on the not liking to wash my hair thing.

Tracy January 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I love this and can’t wait to try it!

Diana January 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Super cute idea! Love!

Alexis @ Hummusapien January 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I MUST try this! Geez, is there anything TJ’s can’t do?? Your hair looks gorg! By the way, your blog looks so great. It has grown so much since I first started reading!

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Ah! I do love you. Thank you :)

Rachel @RunningRachel January 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Oh! This is definately something I woudl love to try! Thanks for sharing! :)

Leighann February 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I love this! I usually buy Bumble and Bumble Sea Spray but lately its getting too expensive (I’m a college student too.) Thanks for the tip!