The Time Has Come.

by Katelyn Block on January 25, 2012 · 59 comments

There comes a time in your day — your week — your life, when you realize everything you’ve done, and everything you’ve gone through has a place. That you were meant to share them with others, and help them in the process.

As many of you know, I have the joy and honor of being a FitFluential Ambassador. Ever since I was asked to join this summer, I have been long awaiting the time where an opportunity like this would present itself.

Now is the time.

I have been given the opportunity to write for some of the largest health and fitness magazines on newsstands today. This is not a chance I am going to pass up. I mean, I only go to the top journalism school in the country. Lifelong dream? Here I come.

Why should I be writing for a nationally-acclaimed magazine?

Not only have I been writing since I first learned how, I have been talking. Developing powerful speaking skills has allowed me to strengthen my writing and enhance communication. I am told daily by readers about how funny, exciting, and easy to read my writing is; as though they are having a conversation.

Along with my natural ability to write articulately and in a reader-friendly manner, I have a powerful story. My journey has gone from overweight child to diseased middle-schooler. From carefree high school athlete to a teenager that was withering away. I took blogging, my writing, and my incredible hunger and love for learning more about health, and turned my life around. With my newfound vibrance, I developed a healthy relationship with exercise, and successfully trained for and ran a half marathon — all before turning eighteen.

Before that, I practiced yoga beginning in the sixth grade. That’s right, when I was eleven. Unusual for a girl of that age, but even now as a college student, I have kept my love for yoga and movement through all of my activities: crew, track, cross country, field hockey, swimming, and gymnastics. My eating habits have been equally as varied. I have been vegetarian, vegan (for over a year!), and everywhere in-between. Along the way, I picked up some valuable knowledge in nutrition and the vital part it plays in our health and in our everyday lives.

I am often told that I am an inspiration to both my readers, and those around me. I have been told on countless occasions how I have moved others to achieve their fitness goals, find health and self-love, and even pull themselves out of illness. That is what makes a powerful writer: someone who can create change. Whether it is my Daily Sprinkle feature, a bubbly vlog, or a more serious topic, I help others to live happier, healthier lives. With my history, it is only appropriate that my attitude is as exciting and optimistic as I hope my readers to be. Every day, I bring a light, passionate attitude to my blog.

As a writer for a major publication, I bring strong conviction and a fun-loving attitude. College students are often readers of nationally-acclaimed healthy living magazines, but don’t often hear from college students and twenty-somethings themselves. I know the mindset of Generation-Y, what they like, what they don’t, what they are looking for, and what they already have. We want things fun, and we want it now, but we want everything to be tailored to the hectic lifestyle associated with finding our way in life. I have major spunk; I don’t kid around. With that attitude, I transform often-stressful topics (such as how to get through a workout that makes you want to face plant into a wall, eating troubles, relationships, eating actual green vegetables) with grace, style, and most of all, sass.

I have been featured on Shape.com, written for well-acclaimed blogs, and been a feature writer for magazines and newspapers. I have experience working with editors, teams of journalists, and most of all, with people. There is a completely different demographic associated with college students and twenty-somethings when it comes to lifestyle and what we are looking for. Health is not just a treadmill workout or a healthy breakfast; it is a healthy mindset, and nourishment not only for your body, but for optimism and self-growth.

I am not perfect; I don’t eat salads twice a day, every day. Likewise, no woman is perfect. Women want a taste of how to live an amazing, healthy life that makes them excited to wake up every morning, without feeling inadequate. I bring that fresh perspective to women who crave balance; who crave the ability to be naughty and nice at the same time.

It’s a day like today that makes it all worth it. I believe in balance: being serious about your body, and keeping your sanity. Naughty and nice. Gym-sweaty and girl’s-night-out sweaty. Veggies and chocolate. Not together.

Who’s with me?

Christina @ The Athletarian January 25, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Congrats, Katelyn! I know you will be FANTASTIC!!! I’m not an avid commenter but I read your posts practically every day. They are so beautifully written, inspiration, and fun. GOOD LUCK! I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for you!

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM

You are my favorite. It’s okay!! I love having you either way, commenter or not ;)

Mindy @Clueless Nut January 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Get it girl! I’m sure your contribution will be amazing.

Michelle@PeachyPalate January 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Congradulations!!! Well deserved and wonderfully written post; great synopsis. Wish you every success and looking forward to seeing upcoming features!

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Thank you, Michelle! I love that word: synopsis. So dictionary-chic.

Misty @ Life Off the D List! January 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Congrats!

Michaela January 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM

wow, that is just fabulous!! You totally deserve that, you are so determined and positive and, of course, very inspiring :)

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I mean I try. ;)

Ben Ingber January 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!

Heather Montgomery January 25, 2012 at 8:47 AM

love it! great job!

Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete January 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Very well done. I seriously need to get working on a post like this for myself!

Carolyn January 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Get it gurrrll!! I can’t wait to read your articles on glossy pages :)

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM

They BETTER end up there. #notkidding #wantthissobad

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

AWESOME post…I’m a fellow FFA, and I would love this opportunity as much as anyone, but you sound great for the job!!

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Ahhh!! I really hope you get it!

Laury January 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Great job, Katelyn!!

Ali Mc January 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM

YAY!!!! congrats girl you deserve it. I’ve been following you for a while now through facebook ;) you are awesome! I love your writing style.

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM

No way! I’m so glad. Has it ever crossed your mind that I should put more on the fb page? I love ideas from readers!

Ashleysh22 January 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Wowkatelyn! IAm totally rooting for you. What magazine is it? I’d read it if you’re writing in it :)

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM

No idea yet! Still waiting to hear if I got the job :)

amber January 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Good Luck !

Eric January 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Nice picture of you and fleet feet pete, will you be running the FLower City Challenge this year? That is my favorite event. Oh… and way to go nabbing one of those spots, well earned, well deserved!!!!!!!

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Noooo I wish I could! I’ll be away, aaaaand I haven’t been running, like at all. Yoga is my thaaang.

Kat January 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Wow, you’re taking the whole ”love yourself, be content by yourself” thing to a whole new level, aren’t you?

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Kat — this is a magazine pitch. A cover letter, basically. So yes.

Claire January 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Wait… I don’t understand the purpose of this post. If you have already been “given the opportunity to write for some of the largest health and fitness magazines on newsstands today,” then why are you writing a cover letter?

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Great question, Claire! This is an “audition” post. I am auditioning for the opportunity.

kit-kat January 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Congrats, girl! Here’s to a great new start in your life! :-)

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Amazing dollface!!! YOU GET IT!

xxoo

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Kadee January 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

You are basically my hero. :) Just sayin’

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

You just made my day.

Stephanie @ On the Road to RD January 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I’m lovin’ all this real, honest, positive energy on your blog lately. So inspiring. :)

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Thanks, lady. Shoot for the moon, errday.

Tracy January 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Awesome chicka! You would do an amazing job :)

Diana January 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Get it girrrrl! Your positive words would be welcome in any magazine, and I totally agree that mainstream mags need more young voices!

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM

AMEN, sista!

Diana January 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Good luck! I can’t wait to hear how this all pans out – I know you will do an excellent job should you get the position, and I’m very interested to find out who you’ll be writing for…

mel January 25, 2012 at 4:49 PM

No offence, but you and many other girls I know are interested in health and fitness. It is not a feat to have been doing yoga since you were 11, nor is it inspring that you’ve given up animal products for a year. Also, I guess I’m not surpried that you consider eating vegetables and working out stressful situations, since you are only 19, but it undermines those who actually, uh, are dealing with real stressful situations. I admire your optimism, but come on, you need to humble yourself a little bit.

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM

No words. Honestly, this is just not nice. I really hope that you find kindness one day. And learn how to spell.

mel January 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Criticizing me for an obvious spelling mistake is just another example of your holier-than-thou attitude. If you publicly display your blog to the entire internet, I’d advise you to learn to take criticism. Just because I’m pointing out the obvious does not mean that I need to “find kindness”. It’s obvious that most of the people commenting on here are just blowing smoke up your ass. Your ignorance and naivety is laughable, at best. Most of your problems, or your sob stories, I should say, are perfect examples of “white girl problems”. Having struggles with diet and weight does not equal a powerful story (your words, not mine). You talk about this as if you have gained great wisdom and now have some secret knowledge to share with the world. Seriously? This is the life story of most teenaged girls in America. Your struggles are trivial, at best, which is never an issue until you blow your silly problems into grandiose delusions. You seem to have lost touch with reality, or else, which I have already mentioned, you are just plain ignorant and self-centered.

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

As I said. This is just plain unkind. I wish you the best.

Eric January 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Katelyn, you seem to have a real fan here. It takes high self esteem to get on the internet and pitch a fit about someone else…

If weight and diet struggles are the “life story of most teenaged girls in America” I would argue your content is more relevant than most any thing else. If that is a story every girl (especially the white ones as was pointed out) struggles with, perhaps it is time to write MORE about it. Stay positive.

Eric January 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM

So you want to make “public” comments about her need to accept critical feed back on a public blog when you yourself got upset when she offered some of her own? Hypocrisy at it’s best.

mel January 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Struggling with weight is a known problem for most women, but only the privilaged ones have the time to write a lengthy post about it and make it seem as if they deserve recognition. Plus, her eating disorder (if you can call it that) did not need intervention from a therapist, counseling, or any hospitalization, therefore I don’t see any reason to turn it into something it’s not. In fact, it seems she handled it quite well without any sort of help. Also, I am either a hypocrite, or I am capable of seeing when someone can’t take constructive criticism, mostly because that someone comes back with a childish attitude (ooh you made a spelling mistake, you are sooo stupid!).

christina January 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Eric: As a fellow fan/friend of Katelyn’s, I appreciate you sticking up for her. She’s a beautiful girl with a huge heart. It blows my mind that people will leave such negativity on someone’s blog. Who is miserable enough to find the time to do that? If you don’t like what you’re reading, keep your mouth shut, and move on to a different blog where you don’t need to complain. Your response was perfect and I’m glad you took the time to defend her. :)

Katelyn Block January 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Had a therapist and three counselors. Went to the hospital, was not hospitalized. I’d appreciate it if you lay off now. Thanks.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 25, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Amaaazing post. You are a beautiful writer girl. I’m a FFA too and need to post mine! I wish you the best of luck! :D

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Thank you love!! Good luck to you. I can’t wait to hear back!

Toni@Runninglovingliving January 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

What a great post!!! Good luck!!!

Mo January 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hey girl, just a friendly heads up to double check your semi colon placement. Not to sound nit-picky, but I’m sure that as this is a writing gig, whoever is evaluating this will find it important! Hope you find this helpful :) … Good luck!!

Katelyn Block January 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Ah! Thank you ;) I’ve always had issues with those!

Lorin January 26, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I saw in one of the comments that it was an audition post so the tone makes more sense now :). I kinda figured it was something like that. It’s great you have confidence and you are definitely a great writer, it just seemed very “this is why I’m a great writer”. But now I know why :)

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Thank you for your kind comment! I can see where the misunderstanding occurred.

christina January 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I meant to comment on this when I first read it but, I, too, am a space cadet. I barely know you but am so proud of you and so excited for your future. You truly are an excellent writer and are wise beyond your years. I mean that with all my heart. You are a blessing just to know over the internet and am so glad we “met.” Here’s to hoping we meat IRL someday!! XO

Katelyn Block January 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I love you. And WE WILL. Trust me on that.

healthy ashley January 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Congrats!

christina January 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM

who the? what the?? is someone being a biatch?

Katelyn Block January 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM