Why I Can’t Sleep

by Katelyn Block on January 28, 2012 · 32 comments

I’m a vampire. Kidding. No but really. I don’t sleep. I mean I do, but the main issue comes down to this: as soon as I decide I am going to bed, I am a bouncy ball of energy and my brain literally goes a mile a minute. True life, I’m a space cadet. I don’t know where my brain goes.

My brain was clearly not on whatever class I was in. Pita chips? Kay!

True life #2, I am a nocturnal squirrel. Sometimes I wish I actually didn’t have to sleep because then I could be so productive. Can you imagine how my GPA would look if sleep wasn’t a real thing? Think about it! I would solve the debt crisis and vlog while doing it.

I will sing for you. Oh, don’t make me sing. You’re making me sing. Fine, I’ll sing.

Rush starts today…. AT 8:15 AM.. I mean that’s fine, I’ll get up on a Saturday at 7am I guess. Hashtag, what the fudge. (????) Coffee = best friend. When sleeping is stupid, you take into account how much caffeine you’re going to be consuming and then realize it’s going to be a lot. That’s totally fine. Keeping Starbucks in business.

EMERGENCY ALERT: I can’t use my phone all. day. That means from 8:15 when rush starts to 11pm or even midnight. Wheeeee! No but actually, this is a problem. If you haven’t noticed, I kind of have a umbilical cord to social media. It’s not my fault. I’m just really into tweeting. (if you haven’t noticed)

It’s an issue. (but not really)

I think the main reason why I can’t sleep, is because that’s when my best ideas come to my brain. This post? Happened at three in the morning. This post? Happened at midnight when I had just finished schoolwork and was “supposed” to be in bed. Priorities, people.

I have to keep a stack of small note papers by my bed so I can go through and write down all of the ideas that come through my brain furiously in the dark. I’m not kidding. If you saw these little pieces of paper, you would wonder which chicken scratched those words onto the paper. Not me, apparently.

I’ve created a whole side of my room where I tape these ideas up — a la Elsie. I actually tape them onto my second wardrobe (the perks of not having a roommate), so when I go and get ready in the morning, I can take a stroll down idea lane if I have writer’s block. The best way to stay inspired is to write down ideas as they come to you. Keeps your brain free, ya hear?

With that said, I’m about to down coffee #2 (with stevia and cream in tow) and get ready to rush. I’m wearing all black, with the exception of a few accessories. Girl’s gotta stand out from the crowd somehow! Besides the fact that I’m a seriously luminescent blonde with the demeanor of the energizer bunny. No big.

See you when I see ya! I’ll be disconnected from the universe for almost fifteen hours so hopefully I’ll do okay with only people to talk to and schoolwork to do. Veil of silence = no chatting in between houses or at lunch. Guess the sorority girls are getting all of my tweets …..out loud. Also I’m wearing two pairs of pants. It’s cold outside!

What are your plans for the weekend?

Are you a nocturnal squirrel // space cadet? Don’t be ashamed! Let’s revel in it! Toast: to coffee.

xoxo,
Katelyn

Brynn January 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Ooh, have fun! Best of luck talking to the real people :)

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Hahaha thank you.

HollieisFueledByLOLZ January 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Wahh! Being away from social media for that amount of time. HA. I really don’t know if I could handle it-but you’ll love rush I think. Have fun girl! :)

Diana January 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM

When I was in college (I say that like it was decades ago, it was 2 years ago) I used to be a nocturnal night owl too! And I loved it. Now, however, that I have a “job” (ew), and I work out in the mornings, I go to bed at approximately 9:30 – 10 pm on weeknights. My 20 year old self is so ashamed.

HAVE FUN AT RUSH!!!

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Hahahah I mean it’s fine. DON’T BE ASHAMED. I am going to bed in like five seconds, forreal forreal.

Meredith @ DareYouTo January 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM

UGH I’ve been the same way recently. I’ll be falling asleep all evening and then the moment my head hits the pillow, my mind races a mile a minute. I toss, I turn, I consider bringing my computer into the bed so I can put some thoughts to blog or to do whatever research it is I’d like to , or read blogs (like yours!)… but I know that bringing your laptop to bed is, like, the worst thing ever for your sleep. What to do!!

Good luck with rush! Hope whatever choices you and other girls choose make you happy :)

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

You are too sweet. IT’S SO TRUE. It keeps me up forever! Thanks lady ;)

meg pinkgiggles January 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM

You are seriously the cutest! Have fun and good luck at rush :)

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I can neverrrr fall asleep. I get SO tired and then I lay down and I’m just thinking of everything. Have fun at rush today!!

julie January 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM

haha i can’t sleep because i spend too much time scrolling through pinterest at night in bed. #iphonefail

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

True life, I am a Pinterest addict. #itsfine

Emily January 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

love love love your blog. i’ve been reading for a month or so and just admire your honesty & funniness!
I go to WVU and spring rush begins here in two weeks. I’m already in a sorority – and it’s been the best four years of my life, I can’t even imagine how my college experience would have been without it. Good luck today – i’m sure all the girls will love you, go with your heart!

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I seriously love you. Wheeee! You must be so excited :) I love hearing about peoples experiences!

jenna k January 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM

i’ve been so bad about bedtimes the past year or so. there have been countless times where i’ve stayed up until 7am, and then had to think “well, clearly i wont be making it to class tomor– in 2 hours…” i started an adult job this week, so i’ve been getting up at 7am on the reg now. :(

have fun at rush!! seriously. this is my first year as an alumni, and you would not believe how sad and depressed my friends and i were on bid day this year. recruitment is a BITCH, but we actually missed it a lot.

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Hahha. GOOD FOR YOU! A true idol for me. Seriously!!! The sisters work so hard, I can’t even imagine the routines you guys work on. The inner workings are seriously intricate.

Sarah January 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I am most definitely not a night person! I fall asleep at 10 pm most nights and wake up at 6 or 7! I love my mornings! Good luck rushing!

christina January 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I’m the same way. I can never sleep. There are so many more fun things I’d rather be doing!!! And I let them keep me up. Sleep is overrated. haha

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Hahhaha true life, we are such twenz.

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

good luck today lady! you’ll do awesome!

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

thanks! love you <3

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} January 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Have fun rushing!!

Dolce January 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I have the exact opposite problem. I sleep like it’s my job. I have the sleeping patterns of a grandma (no offence grandma!), I go to sleep early because I’m so darn tired, and usually wake up early without even trying.

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Jeal. ous. Are you a college student still? If you are …. teach me your ways.

Dolce January 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I’m actually a senior in high school still. Sooo I’m pretty much going to get a butt-whoopin from college life with all of the late night parties and all-nighters, ohhhh boy, I need to learn to like coffee!

KaraHadley January 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I had no idea you were rushing. G’luck with all the craziness.

Katelyn Block January 28, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Hehe thanks girl. I hope you’re having fun in London!!

Jocelyn @ Enthusiastic Runner January 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I miss your all day tweets!!! But I hope everything went well today!

Lily January 29, 2012 at 5:14 PM

AHH goodluck! I can’t wait to go to college next year, everything seems great, hope everything went well today! I’m new to the whole blogging community and lately I’ve been reading your blog. I looove it and it was immediately added to my blog roll! keep posting xo

Sneakers2Sandals January 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM

ahh, i remember the days of rush. so glad that’s over :)

Kit-Kat January 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I often get my ideas at night, too! It’s hard to go to sleep when you want to put those plans into action before you forget them!