The Bullying Stops Here.

by Katelyn Block on June 21, 2012 · 13 comments

Have you seen this video?

I watched this video last night with a friend, and half of the time I couldn’t even speak. This happened 20 minutes away from me. TWENTY. MINUTES. I am so disgusted there aren’t even words for it.

The word “bullying” has so many ideas tied to it: children, taunting, and generally being young and silly. This is wrong, people. One thousand. percent. wrong. There are so many reasons that bullying happens, whether someone has deep-rooted unhappiness, fear, or despair, and takes it out on others. This woman did nothing. Nothing.

I would like to take this opportunity to make you think for a few minutes. To think about how you interact with others, and why you interact with them that way. At home, in the workplace, with friends. What are the factors in your life that make you respond to certain situations differently? How you see others? How you see yourself?

The bullying stops now. We are a town, a state, a country, a world of people that all have problems. We all have stressors, sadness, and reasons for us to be unhappy sometimes. It’s not right, but that’s how it is. What needs to change is how we channel that unhappiness. How we interact with others, what we say, and how we say it. What changes now, is you. All of us. Me. The world we live in will only change once we all start to change ourselves. That’s the bottom line. These children may have done their part, but we all do our part in some way, everyday.

As our parents’ children, as siblings, as friends, as lovers, and as parents, we set an example for the next generation. I was bullied in elementary school, middle school, high school, and now at work. It’s not easy being on either side. Stand up for yourself, and stand up for others who can’t do it themselves.

This stops now. The world needs more love, and this is your time to start giving it.

So much love and xo’s,
Katelyn

Jamie @ couchtoironwoman June 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

This is disgusting and unfortunately this happened maybe 5 minutes away from me! So sad that I live in this town, but it doesn’t just happen here. I wish she had done more but maybe she was in shock, truly couldn’t hear everything they were saying, I don’t know.

Bullying, harassment, etc. NEEDS TO STOP. I was bullied in middle school and high school and it was horrible. It makes me very sad that these children (really they had to be 12-13 years old) were saying such horrible things, that I wouldn’t have even known to say when I was their age.

Laura June 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM

This is horrifying and almost unbelievable. STOP BULLYING.

Lisa June 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Ugh. I saw this this morning and am so saddened by it. It is just so awful and I don’t understand how others can treat people this way. It literally breaks my heart to see people interacting with humans in such negativity. Do they not realize how it affects the people suffering from this harassment. As someone who has been treated horribly throughout high school with horrible comments, it brings back those awful memories, and I would never want someone to feel this way.

eric June 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

less than 5 minutes from our house… super sad….

Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I heard about this on the radio and was seriously disgusted. Kids can be so cruel – we all can be, but I just don’t get how you can be so cruel when you’re so young and often have nothing – or far less than others – to be angry at the world about! I guess it’s the crowd mentality…one starts, and another follows…

I also heard that donations had come pouring in for the lady to take a vacation, but they’re now so high that she might be able to retire early. Like, 7 hours ago the radio said they had received over $180,000 in donations! So there is good in the world too. Just brutal.

Kara June 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I’m also from around the area and was appalled when I heard about this story. This just proves how serious of an issue bullying is becoming. Unfortunately, nearly every kid nowadays is subjected to similar bullying and hopefully now that this has gone public the issue will finally be addressed and properly dealt with by administrators. Kids are not disciplined nearly enough for their harmful words and actions and this is clearly what their behavior escalates to when left unpunished.

In regards to the funds that have been raised.. here is the website for anyone that is interested: http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein
If nothing else, it is worth looking at simply to remind yourself that there are still good people in the world! It truly is remarkable how much support this woman has received and I hope that people realize that she is not the only one being subjected to such cruel behavior.

Jenn's Adventures June 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I couldn’t even watch the entire video my heart ached so much. I consciously stay away from negativity & your response is phenomenal — I couldn’t have said it better.

Lea June 21, 2012 at 11:54 PM

It’s hard to believe that people can be so hateful. My heart breaks for that woman and any other person that’s been bullied. There is absolutely no excuse for putting down another person.
However, it’s wonderful to hear that people are raising so much money to send her on vacation. It shows that there are some truly good people out there amongst all the hate and negativity.

Liz June 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I read but rarely comment, but I had to comment to THANK YOU for this post. I know this has gotten a lot of media attention lately and I am so glad. I can’t bring myself to watch the video because I know it will bring me to tears. I can’t stand bullying and because of it I am scared for when my five month old son goes out into the world. I wish people were kinder and had more compassion.

alyssa June 22, 2012 at 8:19 AM

This makes me so, so sad.

Sarah June 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Hey lady, so glad you posted about this. It’s so true and I completely agree. What would our world be like if there was no bullying? A pretty amazing place right?? If kids could grow up without it all around them they would be the most amazing adults. I’m an education major and that’s my goal for when I start teaching is to be able to give my students the confidence to make good choices, stand up for themselves and others.

Gillian June 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

This video is so upsetting, I’m glad the world is reaching out to this woman is such a lovely way in response though. Bullying is scary. Kids can be so mean without realizing the consequences. I was a nanny for 6-year-old girl, and I swear that kid brought me to tears some days! Here’s to love and respect and teaching our (future) children the same.

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee June 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

The video made me cry. I remember back in middle school, there were some kids who made fun of the bus driver and this just brought me back. I could never understand why those kids felt the need or want to ridicule my bus driver (who was actually a nice person, a little eccentric but in a good way) or why these boys would be so mean to their bus monitor. The important thing in ending bullying is probably to find out why bullies think this way. I sincerely hope that they write apology letters to the bus monitor.