The Way I See It: Moderation.

by Katelyn Block on June 25, 2012 · 15 comments

In my life, I’ve gone through periods of good moderation, and I’ve gone through periods of…. excess. Too much of this, too little of that. You know the drill.

For a long time, I was a meat-eater, a vegetarian, a vegan, a whatever-tarian, all of the above. That has all taught me that every “diet”, way of eating, way of living, has its bits and pieces that work for me. So below, some of the food “categories” and items that work for me. In moderation.

Dairy

• Cheese: I do feta cheese on salads when I eat out because it tastes good. And in omelettes. I don’t buy it for my own home because I have this weird idea that it makes my fridge stinky. Don’t ask.
  • Yogurt: Yogurt makes me feel so icky. In every way possible. Chobani is usually okay (I just can’t do the un-sugary kind, don’t know what’s wrong with me). I do frozen yogurt [a lot], but other than that, I can’t eat yogurt without cringing. It might be a genetical thing.
  • Milk: I do cream in my coffee when I’m eating out or occasionally at Starbucks. Of course, light with the wrist. Don’t want a belly ache ova heaaaaa!

Eggs

• I can do omelettes and scrambled eggs. Can’t not love om’s. They’re so yummy. Just not a lot. I can’t watch them being made and I can’t make them myself. I’ll leave it to the experts, kay?

Seafood

• I only like stuff that doesn’t taste fishy. I’m picky, I know. I’ve accepted this. I stick to shrimp a few times a week, the occasional tuna salad, and fish if it’s cooked fancy and I’m eating out. Otherwise, I’m so weirded.

Carbs

• Bread: Whole-wheat bread and Ezekiel are not a problem for me. I will gladly eat a sammich on some gluten-tastic bread and not have a belly ache. To me, this is awesome. So I eat sandwiches, I eat pita bread, but not too much. It does make me a little bloaty.
  • Fruit: I don’t limit myself on fruit. That would just be silly.

Bevvies

• Coffee: I drink as much as I want but try to balance it out. For example, two cups the first half of the day, and more if I need it later. I also try to drink some decaf. I’ve realized that I mainly load up on the cawfee because I like the taste. Solution: decaf!
  • Soda: I don’t drink it. Not even diet soda. I’m done with that. It makes me feel like poop and want to eat my arm off constantly. I feel so much better when I drink some fancy Zevia, water, coffee (with Stevia, not Splenda), or iced tea. Mmmm, so refreshing.

As for the other categories, I don’t ever eat meat (I just don’t like it. Go figure), and I eat vegan foods in copious amounts. I don’t limit myself on those foods because they make me feel awesome. Cause who doesn’t want to feel awesome all the time?

Soooo goooddddd. Part II: Exercise, coming up!

What does moderation (with food) mean to you?

Heather @ Housewife Glamour June 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Great post! Moderation for me is eating anything I want in exactly that – moderation.

I’ve found if I limit myself and cut off certain foods completely, it is only a matter of time before I crave it and in turn, binge it. Not good. Over the past few years, I have finally found a balance and way of working in carbs, sweets, cheese and even dessert to an everyday, healthy diet.

Diana June 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Let me preface this by saying that moderation is not one of my strong points. That said, I know what works for me; I’d rather be considered a health nerd than have “normal” eating habits.

When it comes to dietary labels, I am a combination of several: I do not eat red meat, but I love fish (salmon!) and have the occasional bit of chicken if my family is cooking it. Dairy is big over here, although it’s always low fat or skim. I agree with you about yogurt – the texture makes me gag unless I add berries or flax to it, but I always get the boring plain kind.

On the more extreme side, I completely cut out refined sugar at the age of fifteen. The only sweeteners I consume are natural – things like maple syrup, honey, and agave. I stay away from chemically things like aspartame and the like, but I won’t not eat something because it contains a tiny bit of the stuff (unlike sugar). Likewise, I don’t eat bread. It’s probably something to do with the fact that it’s processed and not the greatest way to get whole grains, but also because I had a tendency to go overboard whenever I got my hands onto my favourite multigrain loaf.

Coffee is a rare choice for me – I prefer tea, and drink it by the bucketload. Aside from that, water and hot chocolates made with maple syrup are my main source of hydration. Moderation? I guess I’ve got a bit ;)

Sarah June 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I’m the same way with meat but I don’t classify myself as a vegetarian because I hate hate HATE telling myself that I can’t have something ya know? It’s a mental thing I suppose.

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna June 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM

moderation to me means eating mostly healthy, but if i’m craving something indulgent, then i eat it! only eating to the point of fullness, enjoying dessert everyday, but also enjoying fruits and veggies every day!

i would say that for the majority of the time i eat a vegetarian diet – however, i don’t label myself as a vegetarian because every once in awhile i do enjoy steak or grilled chicken! when i can, i usually pick the meatless option. i love all of my other protein sources – greek yogurt, eggs, legumes, nuts, nut butters, this list goes on and on!

Caroline June 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I’ve had pretty similar experiences with “diets” as you – the all or nothing just doesn’t work for me. I don’t drink milk or eat much dairy, but I do love a greek yogurt once in a while. I don’t eat much meat, but I love fish. I don’t really classify myself as anything, because the minute I tell myself I “can’t” have something – I want it!

Carly@Snack Therapy June 25, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I am always SO jealous of people who can practice moderation! It is such a struggle for me. I tend to be all “good” or all “bad”. As of right now, I try to stick to a more regimented eating plan that involves little treats here and there. It is like moderation with training wheels!

Melissa June 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I loved this post! We seem pretty similar with our food moderation choices. I have been a vegetarian for many many years and played around with veganism but now with cutting out gluten I find it too restricting to completely cut out dairy/eggs especially with so many family/friends outings, it kinda singles a person out and makes others feel that they are eating “wrong” or something ya know? I have dairy on occasion, I drink almond milk at home always but if I am out and there is only cream/milk I have it in my coffee for sure. I have eggs now and again, mostly if I am out somewhere and want an omelet or easy over eggs but also feel a bit odd making them myself haha! And on the rare occasion I will have a piece of salmon..which happens every few months or longer, maybe when I am craving more protein? Like on my graduation dinner we went out for a fancy dinner and the Salmon dish was my dinner of choice. I think fro-yo is my favorite dessert and I love that I can still go there and get reeses cups (gluten-free yay!) on top of a variety of flavors!
Have a greaaaaaaaat day!!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats June 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I wish I had a definition for moderation but right now I have been on the struggle bus. Eating has been my “stress reliever” as of late when in turn it just causes more stress with all of the guilt, shame, and shitty feelings it causes. I feel like I need to find a balance with what works for me but I feel like I need to start by getting away from the sugar for a while because once I get started, I don’t stop.

Lisa June 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Great post Katelyn. I definitely relate to seafood, I actually don’t eat any at all because I can’t stand the fishy smell of it. Just me preference. And I’m with you on cheese, I live in my parents basement suite right now and only keep the cheese up there because I also am afraid it makes my fridge smell weird? hah. I’ve definitely gone through my ups and downs in my weight, right now in my down, which I’m trying to bring up a bit. And I love my coffee, I will never give it up. Starbucks addiction is a real thing.

Red Deception June 25, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Moderation is very reasonable for most people, but I find it doesn’t work for me and my chronic illness. Dairy? No chance. Red meat? Not unless I want to destroy my guy. Greasy food? No thanks!

I wish I had the option of moderation, but when I try it I always regret it! I need to find happiness in what options I do have available for me.

Chuck June 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Remember who got you try eggs?? : )

Meredith @ DareYouTo June 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM

It’s great that you took the time to go through and assess how different foods affect you and how often you do or don’t consume them. Whatever your choices, we should all be reflective on how foods make us feel, which are sometimes worth it, and how we want to make mindful yet moderate choices going forward.

Lea June 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I have that same coffee mug, it’s my favorite.

Moderation for me is only keeping foods that make me feel good in my kitchen, if I’m surrounded by healthy, clean food I will eat more of it! Until my roommate buys a huge a box of cookies. Moderation right?

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate June 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I think moderation is huge and finding what works for you is important. Afterall, if it doesn’t work for you, what’s the point?