In my life, I’ve gone through periods of good moderation, and I’ve gone through periods of…. excess. Too much of this, too little of that. You know the drill.
For a long time, I was a meat-eater, a vegetarian, a vegan, a whatever-tarian, all of the above. That has all taught me that every “diet”, way of eating, way of living, has its bits and pieces that work for me. So below, some of the food “categories” and items that work for me. In moderation.
- Cheese: I do feta cheese on salads when I eat out because it tastes good. And in omelettes. I don’t buy it for my own home because I have this weird idea that it makes my fridge stinky. Don’t ask.
- Yogurt: Yogurt makes me feel so icky. In every way possible. Chobani is usually okay (I just can’t do the un-sugary kind, don’t know what’s wrong with me). I do frozen yogurt [a lot], but other than that, I can’t eat yogurt without cringing. It might be a genetical thing.
- Milk: I do cream in my coffee when I’m eating out or occasionally at Starbucks. Of course, light with the wrist. Don’t want a belly ache ova heaaaaa!
- I can do omelettes and scrambled eggs. Can’t not love om’s. They’re so yummy. Just not a lot. I can’t watch them being made and I can’t make them myself. I’ll leave it to the experts, kay?
- I only like stuff that doesn’t taste fishy. I’m picky, I know. I’ve accepted this. I stick to shrimp a few times a week, the occasional tuna salad, and fish if it’s cooked fancy and I’m eating out. Otherwise, I’m so weirded.
- Bread: Whole-wheat bread and Ezekiel are not a problem for me. I will gladly eat a sammich on some gluten-tastic bread and not have a belly ache. To me, this is awesome. So I eat sandwiches, I eat pita bread, but not too much. It does make me a little bloaty.
- Fruit: I don’t limit myself on fruit. That would just be silly.
- Coffee: I drink as much as I want but try to balance it out. For example, two cups the first half of the day, and more if I need it later. I also try to drink some decaf. I’ve realized that I mainly load up on the cawfee because I like the taste. Solution: decaf!
- Soda: I don’t drink it. Not even diet soda. I’m done with that. It makes me feel like poop and want to eat my arm off constantly. I feel so much better when I drink some fancy Zevia, water, coffee (with Stevia, not Splenda), or iced tea. Mmmm, so refreshing.
As for the other categories, I don’t ever eat meat (I just don’t like it. Go figure), and I eat vegan foods in copious amounts. I don’t limit myself on those foods because they make me feel awesome. Cause who doesn’t want to feel awesome all the time?
Soooo goooddddd. Part II: Exercise, coming up!
What does moderation (with food) mean to you?