Down at the {Boardwalk} + {Clean} Hotel Room Dinner!

by Katelyn Block on July 3, 2012 · 17 comments

Hey there! Guess who enjoyed the sunshine today?

Ohhhh yes, us nuggets. Until it started to rain. I swear, you could have scooped out the air with a spoon. Yes, it was that humid. We biked for about two hours up and down the boardwalk. It was a leisurely pace, given that these bikes were semi-hard-to-use. It was a great way to see the boardwalk and be in the sun!

Along the way, I got hungry (festive breakfast can only hold you over for so long) and found a place to get a smoothie along the boardwalk.

Holy yum. Got whipped cream on top. Not ashamed. This held me until mid-afternoon! Afterwards, I stopped at a surf shop and got some goodies (pictures to come), and then had a Larabar with some iced tea and a banana to fuel me for my workout.

WORKOUT: 5 minutes elliptical warmup, then I did a round of Gina’s most recent Tabata Thursday, followed by Jess’s travel WOD. Love these things, they make me burrrrrn.

Post-workout bod, reppin my Bid Day shirt. Seems like so long ago! Although I do love my body (to the ends of the Earth), I’m so glad that I’m getting stronger each day. I’m constantly challenging my body to complete more and more crazy-fun (and crazy-challenging) workouts. It’s paying off, and I can feel it.

Later on, we had Grams come over for dinner. We booked a hotel room that has a full kitchen (fridge, stove, dishwasher, yeah buddy), so we stopped at Trader Joe’s and got some goodies to cook up for a huge, (clean!) family meal.

My new favorite spice. It smells (and tastes) like serious barbecue. I’m a fan.

And such simple ingredients!

I couldn’t believe the effect this had on the Mahi Mahi we picked up. We got all of the barbecue taste on a skillet. Miracle.

I took a skillet, threw some coconut oil in it, and then let our Mahi cook well on the first side, and then flipped. Crackled the spice on the first side, then flipped back over to seal in the flavors.

Oh, yes.

I was psyched to throw some blueberries on my greens,

add the goods,

and throw on some new-to-me-dressing.

Holy yum. This tasted exactly like peanut butter noodles (or Sesame Noodles to normal people). And spicy? Just a hint. I can’t wait to use this on a noodle dish! (and it’ll be abnormally clean)

The final product. I just barely finished the whole thing. Afterwards, we headed down to the hotel theatre (so super casual) to watch Pay it Forward.

I love this movie because it’s so inspirational. It’s decided. I’m paying it forward even more tomorrow. You think a rando will like a free “COOL STORY, BRO” t-shirt?

I’m off to hit the hay! We have a big day planned for tomorrow, including a paddle boarding tour, 4th of July picnic, and some serious beach action. Fireworks, here I come!

What are your favorite at-home meals?
Are you a fan of Boardwalks?
What do you do at the beach?

Even more importantly:

HOW ARE YOU DOING ON THE EAT CLEAN SWEAT DIRTY CHALLENGE?? Go ahead, brag!

christy July 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I am doing okay with the challenge. I had onion rings yesterday though. I blame the three hours of sleep.

Katelyn Block July 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Onion rings are not a problem. Everything in moderation!

Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I think I’m doing pretty good!! TRX Sunday, tennis yesterday, and hot yoga today!! Definitely sweating dirty! My eats have been pretty good too! Feeling like a million bucks so far!

I want to ride a tandem bike so bad. Looks like tons of fun :)

Katelyn Block July 8, 2012 at 11:49 PM

TRX is AMAZING. Recently discovered it and kind of obsessed.

Lea July 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I’m doing good! I’m working on week 6 of LiveFit (half way done!), getting back into running and eating lots of whole foods. My fridge is full of farmer’s market goodies, which makes healthy eating that much more fun!

Katelyn Block July 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM

FARMERS MARKET = OBSESSED. Can’t contain it.

Meg July 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I am so proud of you and your motivation for working out, Katelyn <3 I loved this post :) I love that you are gaining strength <3 Keep going girl! xo you are looking fabulous! Did you use any weights for the WOD?

Katelyn Block July 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Nope, none! I think I would have died if I had.

Meg July 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Great to know ;) Just in case I give it a try! Hehe. I didn’t know if the squats should have weight hah

Katelyn Block July 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM

If you do, I would recommend starting with smaller weights. The burpees are killerrrr!

Charissa July 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM

It’s amazing what a seasoning blend can do – and it doesn’t have all the calories and fat that a typical sauce would!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 4, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I am such a beach person!!! So jealous of your trip right now! As long as I’m on the beach by the ocean, I’m a very happy girl! So impressed with your healthy eats while away and that workout looks awesome! I would have been dead by the tabata and then trow on an extra WOD!!! Crazy awesome girl! I’m loving your challenge! Trying to eat clean and definitely getting my sweat on! It’s hard not to in this heat ;)

Katelyn Block July 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Haha SO true!! And you can do it too! All it takes is some prep time. The best!

anne@lovemintchocolatechip July 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

your mahi salad looks amazing! yum :) glad your having such a fun trip!!! i am jealous!

Lisa July 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I’m glad you are feeling stronger and better about your body! You look great lady! I also did the WOD today! Twinsies. I’m doing great so far. Fab workouts and clean eats all day everyday so far. Have a super time at the beach

Tracy July 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I didn’t realize it rained on Tuesday. We spent the day hiking at First Landing State Park (Northern end of Virginia Beach) and we didn’t experience any rain! Funny how that works ;p

Absoultely love the beach, wish I could have stayed longer!

Katelyn Block July 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

That’s where I was on Wednesday! Small world!