Pre-Workout Meal + Crossfit {Games}

by Katelyn Block on July 13, 2012 · 27 comments

Hey there! Happy Friday night. (or Friday the 13th for the superstitious)

I’ve been watching the CrossFit Games all. day. I’m addicted. I even listened to the competition in the shower. Dedication?

Before CrossFit today (my first official workout at a Box), I had some iced coffee and a pre-workout meal of a chopped banana, blueberries, Trader Joe’s almond butter with sea salt and flax (uh, yum), and a splash of almond-coconut milk.

It was quick-digesting, and held me through the whole WOD. I wasn’t hungry until I got home, where I had a huge green juice, corn (SO good and fresh this time of year!), and a filet of salmon.

More CrossFit watching.

See leetle nugget in the corner? She’s so weird.

Off to the Drive-In with baby sister! It’s a Ted // Magic Mike double feature, probably going out afterwards as well. I live a seriously awesome (and Channing Tatum-filled) life. Packing home-made snacks and iced coffee for the long night ahead!

Are you watching the Games?
What do you eat before working out?

Ash Bear July 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Drive in double feature? Did I read that right? That sounds epic!

Katelyn Block July 14, 2012 at 2:01 AM

IT WAS <3

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I am loving the games too!!! I can’t tear myself away! I think I just need to accept that not a lot is going to get done this weekend :) I try to keep my pre workout meals small cause I can’t tolerate much before I work out and usually just stick to something simple like a piece of fruit!

Lauren July 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

can’t wait to hear more about crossfit. my first class is tomorrow! Eeek!

Katelyn Block July 14, 2012 at 1:59 AM

AHHH you will love it!

sara July 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM

For your pre and post work out meals, you shouldnt include fats for optimal performance + recovery for your body. It slows digestion and this is an optimal time to replenish your muscles, so you should strive to do so as quickly as possible.

Jessica @ Busy Living Healthy July 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Your pre workout meal looks awesome! So jealous that you have a Trader Joes near you!

Diana July 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I just found out that the CrossFit box a few blocks away has free trial classes on Saturdays, so I may pay it a visit next week. I haven’t been watching the Games, but everyone seems pretty psyched about them so I’m intrigued to see what might get thrown at me next week as a result.

jessie July 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Hope you had a wonderful time @ the driveins with your sister, and whatever else you may of done afterwards :) How did you like “Ted”? I’ve heard that it was hilarious, but then heard from a couple of other people that it was just okayyy??

When it comes to eating before I work out, it kinda depends on if i’ll be doing a higher intensity workout or not. For 45 min + workouts, i’ll always try to eat a little something that involves pb & banana.

Catherine @ Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth July 14, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Literally drooling over your Pre CrossFit meal! I wish I wasn’t allergic to blueberries! I WANT! Can’t wait to hear more about your CrossFit adventures because I am dying to try it! xo

Katelyn Block July 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM

You’re ALLERGIC??! Girl….that is so awful. My condolences to you. <3

christy July 14, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I really want to do more cross fit! On my Marine base, we have ‘warrior training’. Basically it’s cross fit. Haha. With a cooler name.

Katelyn Block July 14, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Dude. That’s what I’m going to start calling it. “Is everyone ready for warrior training today?”

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat July 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I’m addicted to the games too! So cool – I’m seriously in awe of the athletes! I haven’t tried Crossfit but I’m dying to. The box near me holds free trial classes too so may give it a try sometime soon :)

MizWannaBeCrossFit July 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I’m soooooo glued to the games and twitter (about the games :-))

Tamara July 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Whoa, CrossFit and Magic Mike all in the same day????
My middle-aged, suburban self would explode with all that excitement!
Enjoy!

Lisa July 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

The double feature sounds pretty dang fantastic. I love watching the games, so intense! Why can’t I find the almond-coconut milk mix, its killing me on the inside.

jane July 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM

confused.. your fit blogger profile you just posted about lists crossfit as one of your favorite exercises… yet this is your first official time in the box?

Katelyn Block July 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Hi Jane! I’ve been to official boxes twice. Until now, I’ve been doing at-home and Travel WODs. Who says a sport can’t become one of your favorite after doing it for a couple of months? I’d call that Love at First WOD.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile July 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I was watching the games last night and it makes me want to try it even more now!

Julie (@ROJRunning) July 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Not watching the game since I don’t have cable, but loving how excited everyone is about them

Katelyn Block July 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

You can watch it live streaming on http://games.crossfit.com/spectator-stream/!

Kimberly July 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

That is an interesting breakfast! I would have wanted some crunchy to go with it, like cereal/granola/oats or something. My usual preworkout/long run meal is pb and banana on toast. Boring compared to yours, but yummy :)

megpinkgiggles July 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I think I really need to try crossfit. I’m just so nervous that I’m not in good enough shape at the moment. regardless, I hope it’s not too late for me to adopt the eat clean sweat dirty mantra for myself!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy July 16, 2012 at 7:06 AM

I love seeing what other people have as a pre-workout meal. I have pretty much the same too.

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate July 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Your pre-workout breakfast looks yummy! Actually, looks very similar to mine, minus the Kellogg’s FiberPlus cereal underneath! But I’m usually an evening workout sort of girl. I like to keep my pre-workout meals/snacks super simple so that they don’t bog me down during my workout. I think you’re right on with yours.