{Sweating Dirty}: Caught In a Bad Fromance.

by Katelyn Block on July 16, 2012 · 19 comments

Hey guys. I got my ass kicked today.

Today was Day One of CrossFit personal training sessions (required at my Box to teach you correct technique and build up strength). If you haven’t all noticed, I’ve become more than a little obsessed. My tweets and social media posts all seem to include something CrossFit related, and I like to think of this as the Honeymoon Phase. Which I’m hoping will never end.

We practiced kipping, back extensions, sumo lifts, bar squats, and yokes (or is it yolks?). Holy crap my butt hurts.

I’ve become obsessed and in LOVE with the rush that CrossFit brings. The intense drive to do one more rep, dig deeper, and lift more weight. I’ve always been attracted to activities that rely heavily on form. Think: Rowing (crew, did it for almost four years), BodyPump, Track & Field.

Reasons I love CrossFit? Form is essential, technique is an acquired skill, and you get your ass kicked in every way possible.

How I feel when I wake up the next morning sore with muscles I didn’t know existed? Awesome.

I’m a driven person. I have the “watch me make this happen, I don’t care that it’s twice my body weight” mentality. I dig deep. I get angry. The weight isn’t dragging me down, I’m freaking flying it.

So, yeah. I’m caught in a bad romance. With CrossFit and Rich Froning.

Remind me why you’re married again?

CrossFit lover? Let’s bond.
What do you eat Before and After CrossFit? I love chatting workout fuel/recovery. Talk to me. I don’t care if you’re Paleo, vegan, or eat nails for breakfast.

Read this: Why You Suck and Look the Same via HybridAthlete. Woah. Talk about keeping it real.

Ashley July 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

oh Froning… so delicious. total CrossFit inspiration.

I usually don’t have time to eat before CrossFit – I usually leave from work and go straight to my box. If I do have time I’ll have a banana. Maybe a spoonful of PB. After CrossFit, I usually have dinner. Chicken and veggies. Or some version of protein and veggies/fruit.

Love that you LOVE CrossFit. :)

Anthony Vennare July 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Great post, pumped to see you getting into the CF game and props for being a rower, I was a coach for a while that is one Badass sport… Keep doing work! oh and thanks for the link, I will let Joe know you liked his little “rant”

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I love that link you posted! So happy you are enjoying CrossFit so much! It only got better for me and I only loved it more the more I did it! So just wait!!!

Jody - Fit at 54 July 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I was having trouble moving fro the pictures to actually reading your post! ;-)

Katelyn Block July 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM

True story, I go through and read each post after it goes up to check for spelling/grammar errors, and I had the same problem. Spent the whole time looking at his biceps.

wymberley July 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM

You can have him! I love Dan.
The CF honeymoon continues into month 8 for me! Im excited to hear your progress!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! July 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I want to do crossfit so badly. Especially after watching the games this weekend – it’s *pure* fitness, and I adore it!
But anyway – I usually workout first thing in the morning so I don’t need much fuel – just a bit of coffee to wake me up. Then a nice big protein-packed breakfast, usually full of fresh fruit. Or protein fluff on sprouted toast – had that today, so good!

Liz @ iheartvegetables July 16, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I swear I’m the only person in the world that hasn’t tried CrossFit!!! I want to do it, it’s just so dang expensive, and I already have two gym memberships!!! haha I need to keep an eye out for a groupon!

Lisa July 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Glad you are in love with a new fitness style.
I do crossfit adaptable workouts at home, since I so can not afford to attend crossfit boxes right now. Being a poor student blows. I bet I’d love them though.

christy July 17, 2012 at 4:53 AM

So my Marine gym has crossfit, but I am too scared to go. I do not want to embarrass myself around buff Marines.

Katelyn Block July 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Nuh uh girl, do it. Maybe you’ll pick up a buff Marine in the process!

Courtney July 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Gosh, could there be anything more appealing to look at then the fittest man on earth?! Welcome to the CrossFit Club, you only get more sore and it only gets better!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy July 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Wow – those biceps!

Mindy @Road Runner Girl July 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Froning….serious eye candy!!! I’ve never tried CrossFit…I know, I know don’t look at me like that!!! I hope to try it soon!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

YAY! Excited for you!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I feel like we’re living the same life right now! I am totally 100% hooked after my first class yesterday. Granted, every single muscle in my back and quads are so sore it pretty much just hurts to exist right now. And sickly, I’m counting down the hours until class #2 tomorrow. :)

Katelyn Block July 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM