{#EatCleanSweatDirty}: How I’m Working & What I’m Eating.

by Katelyn Block on July 17, 2012 · 31 comments

Today was a benchmark, you guys. I wrapped up my personal training sessions in two days. These usually take a month. Guess who will be WOD-ing tomorrow at 6am?

This girl. Two thumbs up.

Why do I get myself into this stuff again?

After drawing class today (where I made a mess and had lots of battle smudges), I went home to a small (but calorie-packed) lunch that fueled me through my workout.

Millet toast, coconut oil + sea salt, tuna salad (non-dairy mayo), and sliced avocado.

Not as good as Madre’s, but still super bomb.

Today’s session included overhead squats, clean and jerks, kipping, kettle bell swings, box jumps, wall balls, ball slams, and burpees. I left exhausted and my body hurt. My Sweat Dirty mentality thinks this is a good thing. I took two scoops of FitMixer aminos at the gym (really loving this stuff lately, and keep getting compliments on how it smells. You decide how normal that is), thanks again FitMixer and Blend Retreat! Went home and had a giant smoothie before hitting up Starbucks Happy Hour with a couple of my favorite boys.

Two scoops Vega Vanilla Performance Protein, 1 cup pitted cherries (have you ever tried to pit cherries? impossible), 2 cups coconut water, 1 tbsp. raw maca powder.

So ugly, but so yummy. I always try to refuel with tons of protein after CrossFit, minimal fat and carbs. In my mind, I’d rather have carbs earlier in the day, and fat later (after my recovery meal). Homegirl’s muscles need it.

I just got home and I’m still full from my smoothie (holy protein powder), so instead of showing you an awesome and fancy dinner, let’s talk about stuff I eat and often don’t show you guys.

Weekday work day meal: Small salad, sautéed spinach, dijon-roasted free-range organic chicken, and brown rice with corn.

Green Juice on the side!

Late night snacks:

Quinoa with chocolate chips, blueberries, sunflower seeds, stevia, and almond milk.

TJ’s Almond-Flax Butter with chocolate chips.

Millet toast with coconut oil, sea salt, and Madre’s tuna salad. (unreal)

These snacks are just a small snippet of the weird things I whip up. Including protein cupcakes, which really aren’t that weird but incredibly delicious.

Off to recover with some serious sleep! Lately I’ve been needing more, as I’m challenging it in different ways and booking my schedule way tighter. Can’t wait for the weekend!

What do you like to eat as snacks?
Before-bed snacks?
Even better: Favorite recovery meal?

Go!

Ritsa July 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Tonight I had a banana with organic creamy peanut butter! yum! Dinner was a portabella mushroom with feta cheese, avocado, and hot sauce on ezekiel bread.

Courtney July 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Oh, Do you like the Vega protein? I’ve been itching to try it… I should just order some samples…

Congrats on completing your class so fast! That is a lot of info to take in, but seems like you did well. I can’t wait to hear how your first WOD goes. yay for another CrossFit convert!

Katelyn Block July 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I LOVE it! I’ve been using Vega for a few years now, and nothing so far has compared.

Chris Donnelly July 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Great job!! Can’t wait to hear more about your Crossfit adventures! I know i’m 8 months in and there is no turning back. I love it! haha

Katie Levy July 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM

congrats on almost wrapping up the personal training sessions, and on finding CrossFit! I’ve been doing it for a little over a year and haven’t looked back. it’s just been such an amazing thing for me to throw myself into!

as far as my favorite recovery “meal,” I’m a huge fan of blending SFH (http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.com/) natural flavor recovery mix, SFH fish oil, frozen fruit and coconut milk into a smoothie. I’ll throw some spinach in if I’m feeling adventurous :) I also love love love Primal Pacs as far as snacks go. lots of protein and completely clean!

Melissa July 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Mmmmmm your evening quinoa looks amazing!!! I love having quinoa before bed, I also made your protein cupcake recently but added cocoa and frozen mini blueberries to it and made a cocoa protein topping with sunwarrior/cocoa/almond milk..SO GOOD!! :)

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Love the eats and nice work on the CrossFit Training!!!! I look forward to hearing about your progress as you continue CrossFit :) I love the pre and post workout nutrition! I want to start getting stricter about my own routine and am going to start add in the amino acids too!

Kaleigh July 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM

your green juice looks freaking delightful. what exactly do you put in it?

Katelyn Block July 18, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Usually a variation of (give or take): spinach, romaine, cucumber, celery, carrots, lemon.

Molly July 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM

ah my meals are all over the place, however one thing I CAN tell you is that I pack as much protein in as I can, and the only carbs I try to get are from fruits, and veggies (and nut butter. can’t live without it). I love almonds as snacks and pre-workout fuel. Post workout I either grab hard boiled eggs, chocolate milk, or protein balls (a mixture of chocolate vega, PB, stevia, coconut, and chocolate chips that I roll into a ball and put in my fridge. Beware: they are addicting!) Breakfast I try to keep as lean as possible…eggs over spinach with goat cheese. Snacks are almost always sliced turkey and/or string cheese (can’t get enough!). I am so intrigued by crossfit and want to do it SO bad. But already belong to two gyms. yikes!

Katelyn Block July 18, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Hold up girl. Those balls sound un-freaking-REAL. Making them!! And definitely adding spinach to my eggs. Yum.

Ali July 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

What exactly is the difference between juices and smoothies for you? I’ve considered buying a juicer…but I feel like it’s almost exactly the same as making a smoothie. Thoughts?

christy July 18, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Have you tried Vega vanilla chai?

Katelyn Block July 18, 2012 at 5:39 AM

I have! That stuff is soo good.

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy July 18, 2012 at 5:52 AM

All your snacks look delicious. I have been meaning to trying quinoa that way – will have to do it this week.

Lea July 18, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I need to try Crossfit ASAP it looks amazing.
My favorite snack lately is cottage cheese with a little peanut butter and cinnamon mixed in. It sounds a little weird, but it’s tasty and has lots of protein and healthy fats!

abbey July 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM

all of those eats look delicious! I was wondering though is there a certain brand of Quinoa that you prefer? I think all brands taste different?

Katelyn Block July 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I have noooo idea what brand it is! We buy in bulk. However, I did buy a box once from Trader Joe’s. They all taste the same to me!

Lisa July 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Yummy eats. Congrats on finishing up the personal training sessions early. Superstar for sure;)
Loving all of the coconut oil + toast love. Is it not the best thing ever?! I can’t get enough over how delicious that combo is together, especially with stevia and cinnamon. I die.

Jay July 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Katelyn, I have a feeling you and your friends never once considered that some people can’t afford to have their car windows quickly replaced, that some repair jobs are dependent upon having the necessary income. Perhaps in your life of luxury you’ve not had to make expensive car repairs, or to save for that potential disaster (but hey, you get to have lots of nice make-up and boutique clothing!).

I can’t help but notice that you often like to judge/make fun of people in different circumstances than you, much like that picture of the woman in the wheelchair. And spare us the story of how she was going against traffic. If that was really what you meant, you would have said so originally, and you wouldn’t have cropped the picture to only show her.

But hey, whatever, if making fun of people makes you feel good, you keep at it. So fratty! YAYZ.

Katelyn Block July 19, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Hi Jay. I see where you’re coming from, but I’m unapologetic. Not only is this window illegal, it’s kind of infamous around Rochester.

And P.S. That picture wasn’t cropped. I don’t have ulterior motives and dude, it’s my blog. Think what you want but don’t accuse. Thanks.

Jay July 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Are you aware it’s an invasion of privacy to have that license plate number visual on your blog?

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Your midnight snack looks DELICIOUS!!!!! <3 <3 <3

Shelby July 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM

What kind of tuna are you eating?

Katelyn Block July 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Sustainable, wild-caught canned tuna. In the organic section!

Shelby July 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Is it Wild Planet by any chance?