{Serious Talk}: Privilege + CrossFit.

by Katelyn Block on July 19, 2012 · 31 comments

Morning everyone! I’m feeling inspired this morning, so I’m just going to let it happen.

Today’s WOD: Elizabeth, completed in 8:22.

I almost didn’t go to the Box this morning to work out. Yesterday was a long day for me: 6am WOD, 9-12 class, eating and blog work // graphic design until 4:30, work 5pm to 9:30. By the end of the day, I was famished, tired, and needed some serious TLC. I had plans to go out with some friends after work, but ate a giant salad with grilled chicken instead. So when I woke up at the asscrack of dawn (5am, hello, nice to meet you), I almost rolled over and went back to sleep.

Instead, I thought about my coach, my fellow BoxMates (I think I just made up a new word), and how much I would miss grunting and sweating with Lil Wayne in the background. That was enough motivation for me to trudge over to the fridge, pour myself some iced coffee, and get my Beast Mode outfit on. Read: Syracuse pinny and spandex. Whenever I rep my school colors, I kick so much more asphalt.

As soon as I got to the Box, I was glad I went. I felt chipper, awake, and ready to get my ass kicked once again. (sorry guys, I’m using foul language a lot more than usual today, but it comes with the Chef Katelyn experience)

We started off with the warm up (left on the board), and practiced the WOD moves before starting the clock. We had a cap time of 10 minutes, and I completed the workout in 8:22. One of the girls at my gym finished in just over 6 minutes (I was so proud), and said, “Joe, I don’t know how that happened!”. In the middle of my ring dip, I yelled, “BEAST MODE is what happened.” True statement.

So after my workout, I drank my FitMixer (which I recently discovered has 100mg of caffeine in each scoop, no wonder I love it so much) and sat in my car, harmonizing with T-Pain and thinking about what just happened. How I spread myself too thinly the day before, but was able to work up the drive to do power cleans at 6am, both challenging and listening to my body. It’s amazing, the people I’ve met just in four days of doing CrossFit, and how awesome it is. Clare put it right; you really do gain a whole new family.

I thought about something my coach said today. About how CrossFit is different. If you’re in the middle of an exercise and your body literally can’t do one more, don’t lower the weight. Instead, stop. Surrender. Let your body speak, because you’re not working just one isolated muscle, you’re working a whole load of muscles. If you have to stop an exercise, do so, because tomorrow, you’ll be stronger. Don’t push your body in ways that it’s telling you not to.

And then I thought about a recent comment from a reader. One that really rubbed me the wrong way, and caused me to stand up for myself. I haven’t had everything in my life come easy. I’ve worked for athletic titles, good grades, the money I have, and most importantly, for this blog and the opportunities that it has brought me.

I am privileged, fortunate, and incredibly blessed to have all of the things I do. A family that can afford to send me to a top-notch university, feed me, and put a roof over my head. But there is a fine line between having an opinion and making it sound like I have it all together. I don’t. I work 52 hours a week waitressing, take summer classes, blog full time, and still have time to eat, sleep, and work out. I don’t have a car; I pay my parents for gas. Anything that’s not a necessity, I pay for with my hard-earned money. That I get from waitressing more hours than I can handle and working with awesome, amazing graphic design clients. I live in a suburb with my family, which is by no means “wealthy”. I’m not trying to make any of you feel bad whatsoever, for anything you may say or do. This is just the facts. I’m not okay with anyone coming to my blog and telling me otherwise or making me feel less than human. Because that’s what I am. Human.

I love all of you, so so much. Thank you for coming back each and every day, and thank you for bringing your positive, beautiful light to shine on all of us.

xoxo,
Katelyn

Linz @ Itz Linz July 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Amen! And I’m just now joining the CF fam, so I’m super excited! :) :)

Nicole July 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM

<3 just want to reach out and give you a HUG.

Sarah July 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Katelyn-
I know I speak for myself and many others when I say that you are an absolute inspiration. I have been reading your blog for over a year now and I absolutely love it. I can’t tell you how much I admire your determination and grit. You are an absolute beast, girlfriend.
I was seriously considering just blowing off my morning run, and this post completely changed my mind. I’m ready to go grab my sneaks and get moving!!
Thanks so much for always being such an inspiration. I also just finished my first year of college, so the #eatcleansweatdirty challenge has been a lifesaver in keeping me motivated to reverse that evil freshman 15.
Well, I am off to go for a run! :)

Haley July 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I love your positivity and your constant busy-ness!! It inspires me to get more done and have a good time!!

MizFit July 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Im with nicole. The older I get the more I realize we are all just doing the very best we can.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM

you go girl. way to stand up for yourself. never let anyone make you feel less than human. you’re AMAZING. keep up the good work. you’re inspiring A LOT of people

Katie (@k8tlevy) July 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Wow, that’s a seriously kickass time for Elizabeth! I’ve only been able to do it as prescribed for a little while and it took me twice as long as it took you. Awesome job! Keep doing what you’re doing :) (p.s. I’m from Ithaca and love talking to folks from Upstate NY!)

Courtney July 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Way to go girl! There is a deeper sense of accomplishment that comes with working out even if you don’t “feel” like it. Great job on the WOD today! And I’m SO glad that you stood up for yourself today. Sometimes I don’t understand how people think its ok to put other people down like that. You’re an inspiration!

Ritsa July 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM

You go girl!!!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! July 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Tell it like it is, and have no shame. You’re awesome – more people should take a page from your book.

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Aww Katelyn you are awesome!!!! Push past that negativity! It’s not worth giving it a second thought! You are amazing and deserve everything single fabulous thing you have because you and only you have worked hard for it! I am so happy that you have found your “CrossFit family” because there truly is nothing better than that sense of community you get from a fabulous box!

alyssa July 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Let people judge. You know YOU best. I think life is a constant progression of growing, learning, and maturing. We’re not always going to be perfect. We’re all just doing the best we can. We’re all dealt a different deck of cards. It’s up to us how we play our respective hands! I respect your work ethic and think you’ve got a good head on your shoulders. :)

Danielle July 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

You rock, lady love! Sorry you had to deal with some recent naysayers. Sending hugs your way :).

Christine July 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Nice job!

ps – delete that comment from Christina. Sounds like spam and blatant disrespect to me.
pss – I didn’t know Fitmixer has 100mg of caffeine. no wonder i learned to love the stuff. ;)

Catherine @ Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth July 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM

“You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” – The Help
Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!

I am so proud of you for everything you have accomplished! It’s not easy to go to school full time and have a job, let alone blog too! I know how much work it is and how rewarding it is as well. Don’t let one negative person ruin all of your joy, you have so many other readers who support you and want to watch your blog grow and that’s what really matters! I have dealt with some really inappropriate and flat out disturbing comments from readers. It’s easier said than done, but don’t let them get to you. You are much stronger than that (Hello, you do CrossFit!) and they are not even worth your time! You don’t even need to explain yourself to anyone, this is your blog, and if people don’t like it, they can exit, it’s that simple. I love your enthusiasm for health and fitness and LOVE that your personality shines through in each and every one of your posts! Keep doing what you do!

I think it’s time for a Protein Cupcake now!
xo

Meredith @ DareYouTo July 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Just like each WOD will make you stronger, each slice of adversity and negativity that comes your way will make you stronger, too. It’s all in how you respond.

Props on getting to the gym on a morning you didn’t feel like it. Sounds like you rocked your workout anyway :)

Jay July 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I never made you out to be anything less than “human.” That’s just a silly thing to say. How do you think the owner of that car might have felt if they saw you and your friends laughing hysterically and posing like that by their vehicle? How do you think that old lady would have felt if she’d known you posted that photo of her in the wheelchair? And you think you’re being dehumanized? That’s just funny. Too funny.

Anne@LoveMintChocolateChip July 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM

i love this. great post! ignore whoever that was. clearly they are jealous and have nothing better to do! your precious personality just shines even through your blog!! ugh i am so sorry. that is not fun to deal with!

Laura July 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I love you & your blog, and ill always keep coming back!
You are an inspiration <3

christy July 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Loved this. At least you seem genuine and down to earth. You work for what you got.

If it makes you feel any better, I wake up at 4:45 everyday.

Lisa July 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Great post girl! We all have different versions of what is hard in our life. And just because you go through a rough time compared to someone else who is not as “well off” does not mean that you don’t deserve any less. Or you aren’t able to feel upset over certain things, that’s just plain silly. You clearly are a busy gal and work hard! Keep rolling with the punches, you are amazing!

Mindy @Road Runner Girl July 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Great job on the workout and great job for standing up for yourself!!! You’re awesome!!!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM

your blog is just too fun to read and you are such an inspiration to so many other people out there! keep it up! don’t let anyone else ever tell you otherwise!

Jen July 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Girl, you are SERIOUSLY inspirational…I truly mean this!!! And, don’t worry about your language…5:00 a.m. IS the asscrack of dawn…I really don’t think that there is a more polite way to say it. Hahahahaha :)

Hope your serenading cricket has moved along by now!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM

You are such an inspiration, Katelyn. :)

Bekah July 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

You are such an inspiration to me. I’m preparing to be a freshman (yay!) and thanks to your blog, I have so much advice on how to keep fitness part of my every day schedule, even as my life changes like crazy! Thank you so much for keeping me motivated, accountable, and prepared!!

Kristin July 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I believe Jay-Z summed it up best when he said “Either love me, or leave me alone.” Keep doing you, girl. After all, that’s the best all can do… be ourselves :)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Seriously, AMEN! People who make comments like that also rub me the wrong way. I will freely admit I am so so lucky, but I don’t think that’s a free pass at saying a person doesn’t work hard/deserve it!

Emily July 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM

First of all, I LOVE your blog. It’s so motivating and inspiring. Plus, I love your honesty- that’s something you don’t always see, especially in the blogging world. You rock for standing up for yourself! Being yourself is all you can do…haters are always gonna hate. (:
Second, it sounds like you had an awesome workout! (It’s weird but I usually wind up getting the best workouts on the days I’m dreading it the most.) I’m glad you’re enjoying crossfit! They just opened a studio near me and I’m hoping to try it soon. (:

Corrie Anne July 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Thanks for the inspiring post!! Way to go for it!