{Eating Clean}: I like to snack.

by Katelyn Block on July 26, 2012 · 34 comments

And eat in general. That’s why working out is so awesome, because it definitely justifies the unreal amount of food I eat every day.

When I’m at drawing class, we get there around 9am and immediately start drawing. This is fine, because it’s messy and I love having graphite all over my face for the rest of the day. But I have this thing where I can’t focus for more than say…. 30 minutes without having to pee. That’s just how it is. What can I say, I like water and coffee. Since I have a metabolism that doesn’t really make sense, I have breakfast before I go to class and then end up hungry around 10:30 or 11 am. Class ends at noon. I’m hungry. Give me food now.

Because I have this serious issue with not being able to go hungry for more than five seconds, I pack snacks. Snacks on snacks on snacks. Think: Portable, healthy, and simple. KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid. (I know stupid’s a bad word, but we’ll keep it for now)

Right now I’m drinking green juice. Not simple or fast, depending on your attention span, but hits the spot. For about an hour. Now I’m having tilapia with a tomato and avocado. Sea salt on top because it makes everything better. Notice there’s no ketchup? Look at me nowwww. I also eat too fast. Avocado just makes everything a thousand times better and irresistible. Truth.

Let’s get back to what this is all about. Snacks. I like to snack. Snacking is an awesome thing because hey, small amount of food = I have food in my mouth and it will keep me full for a bit longer. That’s what really matters here. The three basic components of a snack = carbohydrate, protein, and plant fats. Basic stuff. Carbs can be from vegetables or fruit, depending on what you’re into, and protein should definitely be hefty. Heavy on the protein, please. While fats taste yummy and are good for you, I’ve found that it’s not so good if you’re eating nuts by the handful. I mean, that’s fine and everything, I just want to have room for dinner.

So snacks = mostly protein. I like using leftover fish, chicken/turkey, eggs, or protein powder. Healthy plant fats = cold-pressed or coconut oils, avocado, nuts, seeds. If you’re using eggs for your protein, use the yolks. I promise they’re good for you. (everything in moderation) Carbs for me usually are taken care of with a green juice. If you’re going to get your veggies in, might as well use a straw.

^^ Ugly.

So, here are some of my favorite snacks. Some are healthy, some are kind of healthy but are pushing it, and some are just straight up easy. Do what you gotta do, but always follow the three-component rule and you won’t be chewing anyone’s arms off.

• Egg scramble with sauteed spinach and avocado. Fruit optional. (I recommend berries)
  • Fish or chicken with veggies, nut butter with chocolate chips for dessert.
  • Banana with shaken-up protein powder (see above).
  • Paleo cookies with almond butter (see above…. times a thousand).
  • Smoothies: Almond-Coconut milk with protein powder, chia seeds, and almond butter.

Time for some more coffee shop blog work!

CrossFit at 4:30. Good thing I like to get my ass kicked, because it’s Dave’s birthday and we’re doing a nine-move ladder up to 33 reps. Um, hi. Won’t be able to walk tomorrow.

Do you like to snack? Give me your faves!

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files July 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM

i love your snack choices..i have this issue where every time i go into my kitchen i need to eat something so instead of grabbing for random bites of nothingness i should make myself a more filling snack!

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

It’s true! ALWAYS go for the protein. It will hold you over, no problem.

Melissa July 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Great post :)
Maybe KISS could be “keep it simple silly” :). My favorite snacks are definitely fruit (love the summer fruits like nectarines and cherries or mangoes), nut butters on fruit/quinoa/rice cake etc, bars (larabars or simply bars, although I haven’t had them in the house for a while), and smoothies!

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Hehe. Truth! LOVE Larabars.

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Have fun at CrossFit tonight!!! I am a big snacker too and try to keep my snacks protein packed, greek yogurt, apples, cottage cheese, baby carrots, protein smoothie, almonds, hard boiled eggs, and turkey slices are all up high on my snacking list!

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Mmmm. ALMONDS.

Kierston July 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I love snacking!

Before my lifestyle change, I used to snack on the unhealthy stuff (only!), now I love snacking on protein filled foods and veggies :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies July 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

One of my favorite, easy snacks is a date stuffed with almond butter & sprinkled with chia seeds. Oh – yum! I wish I had one right now. :)

Candice July 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I’m curious about this Vega stuff I see on your blog a lot. Worth a try? I’m snooping around their website right now.

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM

DEFINITELY worth a try! It’s hands-down my favorite protein powder.

Lisa July 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I love snacks. I’m definitely a snacker, no 3 meals a day.
My favourite snacks are protein cookie dough, protein muffins, or avocado pudding.
Your snack items are definitely things I could eat all day long.

Katelyn Block July 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

AVOCADO PUDDING. COME BACK INTO MY LIFEEE.

Kristin July 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I am a snack-aholic. And this post is making me crave almond butter topped ANYTHING! Thanks for the great snack suggestions!

Katie @wishandwhimsy July 26, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I love to snack too, and you reminded me of a principle I need to focus on again: K.I.S.S. I think that’s important in our eating. Thanks for including it (even if “stupid’s” a bad word.) ;)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hey girl! Tried to google the widget you were talking about for the instagram gallery but I couldn’t find it…would you mind telling me the specific name?! And also, how do write on your pics before instagram publishes them….I always end up having to go back into my camera roll and write/edit them after already being published on instagram.

Katelyn Block July 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Did a post on iPhone photo-editing apps! Check ittttt.

christy July 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I work in a chow hall and I still bring snacks to work.

Katelyn Block July 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

That’s dedication.

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl July 26, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I am such a snacker!! I am literally eating a big bowl of watermelon. I like my snack bars. Handful of nuts. Celery & PB, wheat toast w/ chocolate pb, bananas, xagave, cinnamon, and chopped nuts. It’s all good. ;)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail July 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I’m looking forward to learning some paleo snacks from this post!! I can only eat so much nut butter…wait, is that paleo?!! ha! Loving your journey K!

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM

It is! The only nut butter I think is NOT paleo is peanut butter. The rest is fair game. ;)

MCM Mama July 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I’m flat out addicted to nuts so that tends to be my go to snack. I also like raw veggies, so I’ll usually have a few nuts to get some protein and healthy fat and then eat veggies. I’ll also eat arugula by the handful out of the bag. Yes, I know that’s weird LOL.

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM

You are a CHAMP. Arugula kills me!

Kellie @ Compelled To Do So July 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM

(Disclaimer: This is a totally off topic comment.) My Mac keyboard covers ALWAYS warp like yours is doing in the photo above. I had a black one once and it literally looked like my keys were doing gymnastics. I confused every coworker at my last internship with that one.

Anyway, warped keyboard cover owners unite!

P.S. My snacks = dried fruit and soy crisps.

Katelyn Block July 26, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Seriously, why does this happen to us?! Looks so. weird.

Clare July 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I looove snacking! I just posted about my favourite snacks too :) And I MUST try your paleo cookies!

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

They’re from WhatRunsLori.com! She’s awesome.

Alex Bridgeforth (@alexbridgeforth) July 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I’m a total vegan popcorn type of guy.

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Popcorn with nooch? My. jam.

Scott @ Your Inner Skinny July 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I have homemade trail mix everywhere I go. I also always have at least 4 chicken breasts pre-cooked in the fridge for grab and go. Bananas and avocado are great too.

Katelyn Block July 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM

All great ideas. I need to find/order some free range/grass fed jerkey.

christy July 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I work in a chow hall and I still bring food with me to work for snacking. I usually bring protein bars, nuts, a protein drink, and if I eat everything I bring, I start drinking coffee or more water.

christy July 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

By the way, I got Vega Chai Vanilla in the mail. So good!

Katelyn Block July 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

You did not! Ahhhh. So yum.