Rest Days = Eat-My-Body-Weight-in-Food Days.

by Katelyn Block on September 16, 2012 · 25 comments

Seriously though. I’m eating everything. Let’s talk about what I ate when I woke up this morning: 3 eggs in coconut oil (with greens and marinara), a protein shake (1 scoop NeoCell chocolate, about 30 grams of protein per scoop), then approximately 3 tbsp. almond butter with chocolate chips. Just barely full after all of this. Two cups of espresso with coconut oil and stevia. Been eating all day constantly since and it feels awesome.

Just the eggs. The rest didn’t look quite as pretty.

The thing about rest days, is I love to hate them. I can say as much as I want that “my body needs rest” but really I’d rather be throwing around heavy things all day. The fact remains that my body needs recovery time. So I take it. The combination of two rest days a week (Thursdays & Sundays) with upped protein and fat intake has been paying off — I’m seeing PR’s almost every week and my muscles are finally coming out! I’m noticing especially my upper back and shoulders.

In the past, I’ve neglected my upper body strength and done a lot of isolated leg weights. One of the beautiful things about CrossFit is that every movement is functional and reaches multiple muscles and joint groups at a time — which means my upper body is really going through boot camp right now. Feels so good.

And these taste good. Fuel for my muscles.

I went to bed at 10pm last night (I know, what a party animal) and it felt seriously awesome. The day has been spent a. Eating, b. Answering e-mails (some of which make my day, I absolutely love my “job”), and c. Painting a banner for a fratlanthropy we’re participating in this week. For those of you that have experienced Derby Days (Sigma Chi philanthropy), you know I’m in for a treat this week. Ohhhh it’s going to be busy.

On a random note: Last night, I threw a ton of veggies in the slow cooker and made THIS:

It looks so ugly but I promise you life has taught me one thing: Some of the best foods in life taste better than they look. Fact. My belly says you should make this now. Just saying. (can you tell I love my slow cooker?!)

Slow-Cooker Lamb Shoulder

by Katelyn Block

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 2-4 hours

Keywords: slow-cooker entree snack soup/stew gluten-free high protein kosher low-carb low-sodium nut-free paleo soy-free sugar-free

Ingredients (2 servings)

• 2 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 package mushrooms, halved (I used baby bella)
  • 3 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2-3 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • sea salt + pepper
  • approx. 1 tbsp. avocado oil (or other fat)
  • 1 lb. lamb shoulder (or other cut)

Instructions

1. Chop all of your veggies and put them in the bottom of your slow cooker.
  2. Add spices and salt + pepper to taste, then drizzle on oil and mix everything together.
  3. Clean your meat and then place in the slow cooker, nestling it in with the veggies and coating completely with the spice and oil mixture.
  4. Turn on your slow cooker for either 2 hours on HIGH or 4 hours on LOW (depending on when you want your food ready).
  5. FULL MEAL waiting for you. Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

Seriously though. I’m always hungry. It’s almost 11 at night and I’m about to go get fake chipotle and possibly some froyo. I’M SO HUNGRY. On another note, I signed a lease on Friday night. This is really exciting. So much to comeeeee!

What did you eat for dinner?
Slow cooker addict? (do I talk about my slow cooker enough?)
How do you feel about rest days?
More importantly — what do you STUFF YOUR FACE WITH on rest days??!

kayla September 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I really need to get me a slow cooker… it seems like it makes meals a million times easier

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Isn’t it amazing what amping up the protein can do? I would have never believed it could make such a difference!

Love this recipe. I have slow-cooker envy. :)

Kayla September 17, 2012 at 5:22 AM

i feel the SAME way lately about eating! long story short, over the past 6-7 months i’ve had to change my diet and even though i don’t like dietary labels, i pretty much eat “paleo” but without the coconut/almond flour, so i find myself eating a tonnnnn of protein (i.e. fish, meat, veggies, eggs!) and i’m never full! i exercise 5-6 days a week, have never tried crossfit, but make sure to incorporate a weights routine in with spinning, running and yoga. it’s amazing what a change in diet and general “lifestyle” can do to your body! i never used to eat this much food in one day, or it’s been awhile at least. but it feels good :) reving that metabolism!

Miz September 17, 2012 at 6:04 AM

for me the rest days as just like that.
SNARF THE FOOD so I GROW GROW GROW.

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness September 17, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I totally have a love hate relationship with rest days too! I hate them because all I want to do is go to CrossFit but my body loves them so I keep taking them! Way to go on the PR’s! I promise the rest days and on point nutrition will pay off in major ways! Awesome work!

Anne September 17, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I love the anticipation of knowing a rest day is coming up, and I love getting to sleep a little longer!
I don’t love the lack of morning endorphins, I’m just not as nice of a person on rest days… work in progress ;)

Lisa September 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Hey Katelyn? Can you explain why you are adding coconut oil to your coffee? Coconut is still fat like a butter, although much better for you I am sure. I love coconut oil for cooking, when replaced for oil called in a recipe. Do you do it for taste? Thanks!!

Lisa September 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM

PS: ?=!

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 17, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Ahhh I always had so much fun at Sigma Chi’s Derby Days :) I’m going back to FSU this weekend so I”ll be reliving the glory days ;)

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free September 17, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I always eat a TON on rest days – then again, I eat a ton everyday! I’m the same way with rest days too, I know I need them but I have so much extra energy that I get antsy. So far, the combo of 1 complete rest day and one active rest day (usually some gentle yoga) seems to be working for me.

Amber @ExSoyCise September 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM

OMG this lamb sounds amazing! Thanks for the recipe, definitely going to have to try this out. I think it is time to pull my slow cooker out again! Pinned :)

Tamara September 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

For me, the ‘eat everything in sight day’ is Monday (yikes! time to prep!). I teach two tough classes in the morning, with only an hour’s break between. Monday evening I can’t stay out of the kitchen!

P.S. I love my slow cooker. At least I did before my hubby dropped the lid and smashed it. I need to buy a replacement now that the weather has cooled down. Thanks for the reminder!

Casey September 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

How do you go from #7 on your philosophy list to eating baby sheep? Might be time to change that page, Katelyn, unless you’re planning another 180 back into the cruelty-free realm. Only if it becomes the “cool” thing to do, I imagine.

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

loving all the eats! everything looks & sounds so yummmmmyyy :)

usually i like rest days especially if i’m sore & hurting, but you can’t beat that awesome post-workout high!

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I definitely don’t use my slow-cooker enough, but when I do I love it. Have you tried the coconut creme Larabars….they’re my fave!

Brad Gouthro September 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Yep…although I don’t plan “rest days”, when life gets in the way and I can’t get a workout in…I feel like I’m starving all day. Go figure! This is why i say, screw it to rest days. Workout like a beast!

Courtney September 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I loooove my slow cooker. and I dislike rest days. I get some psychological “on no i’m not working out” kind of guilt. Plus I like throwing around heavy stuff too.

Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset September 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Well, I kinda have rest days a lot and don’t work out nearly hard enough currently to work up that kind of appetite…so sad lol. I’m giving my adrenals a little recovery vacation right now :) Glad you’re nourishing your body so well and knocking out the PRs! Get it, girl! <3

Jen September 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I love rest days – or anyday that I can just eat anything/everything I see. It seems t o me you ate quite well!

sam September 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM

could you do an update on your weight loss goals/progress? (are you still trying to lose weight?) just wondering how paleo/crossfit is factoring into that

Leanne @ healthful pursuit September 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Ah rest days, how I love thee! I love eating pancakes for breakfast on rest days. It’s become a tradition!

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero September 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

My crockpot is my favorite thing in the fall. I love coming home and smelling it cooking.
So glad to see all these great recipes popping up on blogs.
Never tried lamb, this makes me kind of curious.

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans September 18, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I definitely love/hate rest days too. It’s nice to have an excuse to be lazy, but I whenever I have to take the day off I just get fidgety and jealous of everyone else who is getting an awesome workout in.
My appetite has been crazy lately, I’m taking it as an excuse to eat more protein and healthy fats. You don’t have to tell me twice to eat more nut butter, avocados and eggs!

jenna k September 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM

it’s awesome that you’re seeing those changes in your muscles! i was just noticing this weekend that my shoulders are looking a little more defined. i still want to shred more fat off my muscles and build my back though.

Alex (@alexbridgeforth) September 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I ate popcorn for dinner, cause I’m lazy.
Haven’t used a slowcooker yet.
Well, I am resting a bit more now that I’m in my taper weeks.
I eat normally.