Let’s Get #PrettyMuddy.

by Katelyn Block on September 30, 2012 · 15 comments

Hi everyone! HOLY EXHAUSTION, it’s been quite a weekend! I spent Friday getting my WOD on, and then driving from Syracuse to Rochester, then Rochester to Columbus, Ohio for Pretty Muddy.

It’s time to get dirty.

Pretty Muddy is a mud run designed just for women, and not only did it deliver on the mud, it was an insanely fun experience.

When I first got to the course at the buttcrack of dawn (7am, don’t judge me) for my 8am wave, I was amazed by the scenery. On-location at one of Columbus’ most-loved ski resorts, the Pretty Muddy team took advantage of the landscape and the lodges surrounding it.

Fog, gear check tents, lodge, and stage.

Madre spent some time talking with the event staff, and found out that this is the location of one of Ohio’s highest peaks! How cool is that?

I took a look at the starting line and realized where I would be going: Uphill.

The starting line.

At the beginning, the emcee (not really sure what to call him, but he’s awesome) warmed us up with some dance moves and some motivating chat about the obstacles we would be facing and the free beer afterwards.

Thanks, Coors Light, for being an awesome sponsor. (and no I didn’t have any, everyone keep your slippers on)

There were food goodies for sale too:

I grabbed a water and a coffee, aka necessities to life. Here’s me pre-race:

Looking bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, clearly. I have to apologize for my appearance. I’m actually feeling really vulnerable putting this picture up. No makeup, not the most flattering outfit, but hey, it was a MUDDY run! And way too early to function.

(Disclaimer: No pictures in-race yet, hoping to get an email about those soon!)

Anyway. The course was awesome. It began uphill and the first obstacle was soap bubbles. Awesome. Have I said that enough? Second obstacle was straight-up water being sprayed. The next few involved over-under jump-and-crawl type obstacles, alternating between those and a rope-climb-ladder, running while carrying a log, and tons of over-under crawling obstacles through mud.

I actually really liked these. It was kind of gross and scary at first, but part of what I loved most about this race is that it pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Just like the shirt says: The comfort zone is a made up place. The only time you’re going to get excited and make moves in your life is when you push yourself to do the things that scare you at first. Like getting down and dirty in the mud!

Post-race:

That’s yours truly with the emcee. At the beginning of the race, he asked if any of us were from out-of-state, and I was the only one in my heat. From then on, my nickname was New York.

I can work with that.

He was totally down for muddy hugs and pumped everyone up for the race beforehand, getting us excited while listening to the spins of DJ RedLine. (who he mentioned is single, so any of you Columbus-area readers…… maybe it’s time to date a DJ!)

I don’t look that muddy, but I promise I was dripping (and squishing squeaking) mud for an hour. Madre was smart and packed me an extra pair of pants and a jacket to change into. I was smart and brought socks and my Reebok RealFlex’s. Got to hang out by the fire post-race and sip my coffee in dry, clean clothes ;)

Later in the day, I headed to lunch in Columbus with Madre and my cousin, but that’s another post.

Have you ever done a Muddy Run?
What did you do this weekend?
Is there a Pretty Muddy event coming your way soon??

FitFluential LLC compensated me for this Campaign. All opinions are my own.

Ben Ingber October 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

looks like you had a blast!!!!!!

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM

that looks like such an amazing race!! definitely one that i want to do in the future!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 1, 2012 at 6:39 AM

I think you look beautiful without make-up on :)

I’ve never done a mud run, or a run at all actually lol. I’ve got my first 5k in November and I’d love to find a womens only run sometime!

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries October 1, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I’ve always wanted to do a mud run, but I haven’t yet! It looks like so much fun. I’m sad there’s not one coming to Boston! :(

Melissa October 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I didn’t get muddy this weekend, but I did go to a wedding in which the bride and groom (yes, she was in her dress) jumped in the pool.

Pretty Muddy doesn’t come to California. I’m sad now. :-/

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

SO Awesome! I did it in Chicago and had a blast. I’m actually working with the Race Director on a few projects. Any of your readers in Tampa or Miami? Send em my way! Did you feel like CrossFit helped you maneuver the obstacles easier? I DID!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige October 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Sounds like a blast, and I think ya look great, Katelyn :)

Carly @ Snack Therapy October 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I’m dying to do a run like this! You look SO happy at the end- you’re glowing! Looks like you had a fabulous time : ).

Jenna October 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Great recap!! And you look great!! No need to be self conscious! Spa love!

Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

The race sounds like so much fun! I wish they would have one closer to New York, because I would be soo signing up for it!

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I have never done the mud run. It looks like you had a blast. But, I think I’ll leave all of the fun to you! ;) Have a great week!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I did this run this weekend too! Not gonna lie, I spent the first mile or two whispering under my breath, “I can’t believe this is what I signed up for,” (just because of the incline), but I survived :). I wish they still had a fire going when I was finished — it was chilly!

Emily October 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Super jealous of this run, it sounds like a frickin’ blast! And you look b-e-a-yooooooooteeful in that picture!

Amber @ Exsoycise October 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Pretty Muddy sounds like a blast!! Thanks for sharing your photos! Can’t wait to see the actual race photos!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I’ve never done a muddy run but I am doing the Rebel Race in November which I am PUMPED about, but also a little nervous!! It’s a military style obstacle course type race which involves jumping over fire, crawling under wire, climbing walls and some other crazy stuff!<—–Talk about being out of the "comfort zone" A few years back you couldn't have paid me to do a race that involved me getting all muddy!