Rest, Country Music Obsessed + Savory Breakfast Recipe

by Katelyn Block on October 3, 2012 · 23 comments

Good morning! Holy nuggets. To say I’ve been busy the last week would be a serious understatement. But I’m back and working on getting my mojo (read: sanity) back. Clean eats, country music (not sorry), and SLEEP. An area where I have been seriously lacking is being tackled once again. New bedtime: 10 pm. Let’s observe that for a second. Party animal status?

On the note of country music, I seriously can’t stop. For those of you that are friends with me on Facebook, you see my Spotify music streaming all. the time. My favorite playlist (on my favorite app) right now:

Billboard Country Songs. On repeat. For example, right now I am watching CMT while drinking my coffee. Fact.

Let’s move on from Country Overload and talk about CrossFit. I’ve been riding the struggle bus lately because I’m not getting enough sleep. One thing I’ve been doing a lot more is reading CrossFit Journal articles. I found one that talked about sleep, rest, and athletes, and found out that as someone who trains 5-6 days a week, I should be sleeping 10 hours a night. That’s right, TEN! A typical night for this girl is class until 7:30 or 8:30, eating second dinner, catching up on a few emails (I’m not superwoman, ya know), and then getting some schoolwork done before bed. Pre-bed snack, then bed somewhere around the hour of midnight, before waking up again at 6:30 or 7am.

Does that sound crazy?? Because it IS. We all need more sleep for our sanity and our muscle recovery (HGH, human growth hormone, is only released in Stage 3 of the sleep cycle. Cut sleep short and you cut muscle growth and repair short!), as well as our daily functioning. When I don’t get enough sleep (read: staying up until 1am working on a paper, then waking up at 6am to continue working on it), I feel sluggish the whole next day with barely enough rest for a functioning brain. Functioning brains are kind of important.

Breakfast this morning:

Savory tuna cakes. Because I’m out of eggs (almost) and need to switch it up.

Savory Breakfast Tuna Cakes

by Katelyn Block

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Keywords: stir-fry appetizer breakfast entree side snack gluten-free high protein kosher low-carb low-sodium nut-free paleo soy-free tuna

Ingredients (1 serving)

• 1 packet tuna
  • 1 egg
  • 1 heaping tbsp. coconut flour
  • coconut oil for the pan
  • Italian seasoning and sea salt

Instructions

1. Break up the tuna in a bowl and add egg, seasoning, salt, and coconut flour.
  2. Mix together in a bowl while heating a pan on medium with a spoonful of coconut oil.
  3. Divide into two or three parts and add to the pan, flattening slightly.
  4. Cook until brown on the first side, then flip and do the same.
  5. Serve with your favorite sauce!
Powered by Recipage

Topped with marinara, espresso on the side! Had TJ’s FiberFUL dried fruit with peanut butter (out of almond butter, have to go to Wegman’s today) and chocolate chips after.

That’s all for now! I’m out of time. Heading out to train, followed by a chiropractic appointment (one of my trainers is also a chiropractor… I live an awesome life. My back can’t freaking wait), and then comin’ atcha with a VLOG involving some awesome new apparel in my life.

How are you Sweating Dirty?
What did you have for breakfast?
Country music fan? Yes or no? (I won’t judge/hate you if you say no, I’m totally cool with anything that’s not screamo)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Creative twist on protein for breakfast!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans October 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I have to say I’m not much of a country fan, even after 21 years of living in the south, I just can’t get into it. I am loving me some folksy stuff lately though! I’ve been listening to Mumford & Sons like it’s my job.
The box in my town offers a student discount on 10 CrossFit sessions and I am seriously considering hitting it up that deal soon! Every time I read your blog I get inspired to go do some CrossFit!

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Love your playlist! Hunter Hayes song Wanted is one of my favorites right now! and I’m seeing Josh Turner this Sunday! Yay! (:

Chris Donnelly October 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM

That’s you workout playlist! haha nice.. i can’t do country, perhaps some older Country/Blues stuff though. I DO like this folk music sound coming back though.

That’s not too bad Kateyln, a training athlete needs their sleep! It’s something i struggle with..i’ve never required much sleep and find it hard to get to bed before 2-3am and i can’t sleep past 7-7:30.. Its part of why my weight doesn’t come off like it should.. i’m just Busy! so as long as it’s coming off at any rate i’ll take it. lol

Kat October 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Hubs is trying to turn me on to country….but he also enjoys a bit of gangsta rap…puzzles me ;)

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed October 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM

my baby brother loves country, I cannot stand it. Tell me, is the the sound or the stories you admire?

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I love country music. No shame here. I’ve been loving Paleo Oatless Oats for Breakfast lately!

Jenna October 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM

The tuna pizza looks so fun!! I’m a country fan too, so I feel ya!!! ;0) spa lovE!!

Joe Bauer October 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Hey, Just found you in the FitFluential network. I like your writing style. It sounds like your schedule is pretty crazy… I’ve started using an app for my iPhone called Motion-X that tracks sleep. It’s been pretty cool to see how getting more deep sleep correlates with my recovery (work, CF, etc.). Might be something you could play with… Cheers!

Belle @ Rebelle Fitness October 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Sleeping is so key! Definitely try to make it a priority ;) I recently started taking magnesium before bed to calm my muscles and help me relax a little…it seems to be working!

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I LOVE COUNTRY. haha :)

and i’m not a big fan of tuna but those tuna cakes do look yummy! don’t know if i could eat them for breakfast, though – i’m more of a sweet breakfast person (greek yogurt, toast with almond butter, etc.) but when i do eat savory breakfasts they always include eggs.

Alex (@alexbridgeforth) October 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Sweating Dirty? Yea, ran a 50k (31mi) race Saturday night, came in 24th place out of 74 runners. Cycled 14 miles on Monday night, did Crossfit at 0500 yesterday and today. Breakfast today was my “All you need in life” smoothie; Dark Chocolate Almond Milk, Udo’s 3.6.9 Blend Oil, Raw Coconut Milk, Plant Fusion Protein, Chia Seeds, Goji Berries, Quinoa, Oats, Hemp, and Cocoa Powder. And yes, I like country music, it depends where I’m at in life.

Emily October 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I’ve been more tired lately actually and now I realize why! I’ve been workout out 5 days a week which is more than I used to. Thanks for the tip ;) also, not a fan of country unless I’m day-drinking on a boat somewhere on Lake Michigan in the summer! Sorryyyy

Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset October 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Umm, not a big country fan… *Sorry!* Breakfast was plain greek yogurt + frozen wild bluberries + ground flaxseed + almond butter + a ridiculous amount of cinnamon. So delicious! Greek yogurt is probably the number one reason I can’t ever be full paleo. Paleo-esque is fine by me :)

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy October 4, 2012 at 6:05 AM

I have been having loads of amazing breakfasts recently. On my Hungry Healthy Happy Facebook page, I have been posting a different and healthy breakfast every day. It has been a bit of a challenge, but I am loving being out of a breakfast rut :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 4, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Love the tuna patties….they look super easy and sound delicious! 10 hours….I thought I was doing good to get 7 hours. ;)

Kristi @ lifesprinkles October 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Why are there SO MANY good country songs out right now? I used to listen to country several years ago then got sick of it but I’m getting back into it lately. That “Hard to Love’ song is one of my favorites!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit October 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Love, love, love country music…hard! Not ashamed :) Made a similar version of those tuna cakes for dinner last night…used almond flour & some TJ’s “21 Seasoning Salute”, they turned out pretty nice. Thanks for the inspiration!

Katelyn Block October 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Were they good?! I love ALL SAWCE. Heading over to check out your blog post now!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit October 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

They were awesome! I <3 crab cakes but not with too much breading & these were just perfect! Thanks for stopping by!

Melissa October 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I LOVE country music! It’s one of the things that gets me through the day! We had country for our first dance at our wedding, the father/daughter dance, mother/son dance, and the bouquet toss!