Beautiful Things in my Belly.

by Katelyn Block on October 13, 2012 · 13 comments

The view from my apartment — absolute magic in the morning!

Hey everyone! I am loving all of your responses to Thursday’s post on comment etiquette.

Sure, we all love a good set of commenting “rules”, but a lot of you make valid points that not all of them apply all the time. Who doesn’t love to get a little silly in their comments sometimes? I sure do!

I encourage you to head over to the comments section and leave your thoughts. Join the conversation. Be one of the content creators and let us hear you roar. Now, a quick preview of a couple of recipes coming to you this weekend and early next week:

Late-night “snack” the size of my head (I’m completely serious. It’s bigger than my head), and….

PANCAKES! Both recipes are TOTALLY vegetarian, totally gluten-free, totally paleo, and totally high in protein. I don’t like to toot my own horn (just kidding I do), but these were unreal. I can’t wait for them to hit your bellies.

Don’t you love making beautiful things in the kitchen? (or on many occasions NOT so beautiful, but completely delicious ;) )

Now let’s move on to what I’ve been eating lately. I feel like I rotate a lot of the same foods (or ingredients, rather), but I’m trying to switch it up with new additions and some sick sauces. I’ve been noticing a lot more lethargy (due to lack of sleep and too much stress, I’m sure), but I’m trying to cut down on simple carbs (I’m looking at you, Agave Nectar) and bump up the protein and healthy fats, which I often lose sight of when I’m constantly GO-GO-GOING all the time.

Enter: Lots of veggies…

Steamed broccoli!

I love getting frozen veggies from Wegmans and popping them in the microwave! I need to stock up on these, but most of the time I eat veggies raw, either whole or in salad form with homemade dressing — usually a 2:1 oil-to-acid ratio.

Teriyaki chicken, because I can.

Snackles in the form of smaller versions of the above chocolate-looking “snack” the size of my head. (times two)

I am going to dedicate a whole post to this (unbelievably short and simple) recipe, so don’t you worry. Your bellies will be satisfied come Monday (or Tuesday).

Lots of espresso. Lately with unsweetened almond-coconut blend milk, not coconut oil. Girl needs ta switch it up, ya know?

And last but not least…..

EGGS! Oh gosh I eat so many eggs. Sometimes people ask so I’ll just tell ya: I eat 3 eggs a day (sometimes 4), and typically some form of egg whites later in the day.

Do you notice that these eggs are fried and not scrambled? I’m switching it up! Turns out I loveeeee love love the partially-uncooked yolk. Holy crap it’s so good. Plus I think they look kinda cool.

Note: Bacon is awesome.

I could eat bacon all day every day. I don’t care what anyone says about the fat content. Dangit, America. Fat is good for you! See above BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS.

Dalai Lama is a champion too.

Yes, Lama. You raise that hand way up.

Remember when I said I was going to see the Dalai Lama speak at SU? Well, people. My mind was sufficiently blown. But that is a post and a rant for another time. I leave you with this picture of my face, pre-concert:

Selfies are required around here. In fact, we run on them.

That’s all for now! See you tomorrow with a Sunday recipe for pancakes (want a preview? scroll back up. nom), and NYC recaps on a rolling basis. I know that I personally wouldn’t want to read three days in a row of recaps, nor would I want to write so many…. so I’m spreading them out for you. Like, really spreading them out. Until then, here’s Part I!

I want to know:

How are you Sweating Dirty today?
What have you been eating lately? (tell me all about your yummies — a girl could always use some food ideas!)
Selfies — do you run on them? (maybe this is a 20-something-year-old thing, but I think everyone should stay young)

Tracey English October 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I have such a sweet tooth, so I look forward to reading your recipes for the pancakes and your late night snack. Im curious about the post regarding comments, so Im headed over there now. Enjoy your day! :)

Grether October 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hey there Katelyn! Im thinking your special recipe is similar to my favorite breakfast every morning: scoop of protein powder, 2 egg whites, almond milk, & some roasted nuts. oh so delishhhhhh

Gotta go! I’m off to Crossfit & sweat dirty this afternoon ;)

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness October 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Love all these meals! I can’t wait for those recipes I’ll be checking in Monday and Tuesday! I love eggs too and it’s great to see someone else who is not afraid of eating “too many” eggs! I typically have 3-4 a day and still love them!

Sloane Pitman October 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Those snackies look SO yummy! I’ve been on a fig kick lately–new favorite snack is plain chobani, cinnamon, and figs (plus a little honey sometimes for extra sweetness!). I’m also addicted to pomegranate seeds! I made a “pizza” with a toasted FlatOut! Wrap, hummus, arugula, goat cheese, and those pretty little red beauties. For protein I topped with salmon, and then another time with grilled chicken. Both ways were delicious! Can’t wait to try those pancakes! Have a great weekend!
xoxo

Kristen October 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Sweating Dirty – cleaning my house like a MANIAC = lots of sweat and muscle. Mopping and scrubbing does wonders for the arms (just sucks doing it) but you can find a workout in there!
Your food pics – making me SUPER hungry
Dalai Lama – JEALOUS!!!! Have you read the Art of Happiness by the Great Dalai Lama? That book is A-MA-Zing! Love your blog I am official a follower :) Keep the good stuff coming!

Ed October 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

The Teriyaki chicken looks fantastic!

I am really excited to read your post about the Dalai Lama! That is a cool experience and your lucky to have seen him speak.

Sarah October 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I’ve been eating lots (and I mean lots) of grilled chicken lately. Time to mix it up and eat some STEAK! But that’s just me-I’m totally happy eating the same thing every day (sometimes twice a day). Frozen veggies are my jam! So easy to make after a long day of classes/practice!
And that chocolate thing looks like the bomb.com so ill be looking for that post so I can recreate it :)

Presley @ Run Pretty October 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I kinda really love the title of this post…

Katelyn Block October 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

can’t wait for those recipes!!

Natasha October 14, 2012 at 6:36 AM

OMG all of those eats looks delicious!!!!!
I love eggs too! Serioulsy they are the most delicious thing ever – yolk included of course
Today’s crossfit wod was awesome – running and clean and jerks!

I’ve been eating a lot of chicken topped with avocado and veggies! Also, kale chips = my obsession!

xoxo

Katelyn Block October 14, 2012 at 3:47 PM

OMG it’s a rest day and you are making me seriously jealous. As weird as it sounds, I live for clean and jerks. Love them. YOLKS ARE MY FAVEEE. Girlfriend… you just inspired me to make kale chips again. My house is about to smell like vegetables.

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM

The Dalai Lama picture cracked me up! Haha I follow his twitter and it’s awesome. I’ve been eating an obscene amount of pumpkin lately in everything, and also am loving goat cheese. My favorite side dish with dinner is roasted brussels sprouts with goat cheese all melted in. Yummyyy