The World’s Biggest Paleo Cupcake {makes my day better}

by Katelyn Block on October 16, 2012 · 46 comments

Woo! Hi everyone! Raise your hand if you’re riding the struggle bus. Both hands raised. But I’m here to be a positive force in your day. Lift you up.

First, let me tell you:

• I woke up today and the sky turned pitch black. This was not only kind of scary but made me wonder when I’d see the Zombie Apocalypse. (which apparently a lot of CrossFitters are preparing for, not competition)
  • I go to class in my favorite blue jeans (Levi’s, tried and true), white v-neck tee, and flannel. Moccasins because I can. And it starts to rain. I SWEAR weather.com did not forecast sprinkles. Wet hair, cold toes.
  • Park my car (because I go to train immediately after class), and the dumb people in front of me took up two spaces. So, half of my car is in the parking zone, other half is in the handicap zone.
  • Katelyn gets parking ticket. I blame the dumb people in front of me. PSA: Please learn how to park your car. You don’t need five feet in front of you.

Can you tell I’m bitter? I’m trying not to be. The $25 ticket sitting next to me is stressing me out a bit. That moment when I start to resent parking meter readers, if that’s what they’re called. Not resenting my car. Car is my baby. No one puts baby in a corner.

Anyway. I see the ticket, take a deep breath, curse the parking gods for a moment or two, and then drive to training. Training makes everything better. This is a true and obvious fact.

And then I remembered I have chicken in my fridge. I made a whole chicken last night. In the crock pot. My house smells like Thanksgiving. It’s always a good day when your house smells like food.

So as I eat my fall-apart-tender perfect crock-pot chicken (am I tempting you? too bad. this recipe is chocolate), I’m thinking about everything that happened today. The little things. The naggy things. The things that suck. And then I think to myself….. how can I rise above the bad and embrace the good?

How can I not let the little things knock me down? I decided. I decided to rise above and embrace the good. I decided to live in that moment, where I was. Worrying about one thing or another won’t solve the problem. All I could do in that moment was train and be my best self in that setting.

If I let all of the sucky things in my life take over (read: dark clouds, rain, spilled coffee, stubbed toes, ripped hands… I blame you CrossFit), I would be an incredibly unhappy person and probably not get much done.

So at the end of the day, I know where my priorities lie and what my values are. Where I want to spend my time, and when I need to decide to say Too bad, I’m going to be better in a bad situation.

And then I make the biggest cupcake ever.

The World’s Biggest {Baddest} Paleo MicroCake

by Katelyn Block

Prep Time: 1 minute

Cook Time: 3 minutes

Keywords: microwave appetizer breakfast dessert snack side gluten-free high protein kosher low-carb low-sodium paleo soy-free sugar-free vegetarian cake

Ingredients (1 giant cupcake)

• 1 cup egg whites
  • 3-4 tbsp. cocoa powder (more or less depending on how much you love chocolate)
  • 1/2 tsp. stevia powder
  • pinch of sea salt

Instructions

1. Add your ingredients to a medium or large-sized bowl.
  2. Whisk together.
  3. Microwave for 3-4 minutes, or until it bounces back to the touch.
  4. Top with: Milk, nut butters, protein frosting, nuts, fruit, chocolate chips, honey or maple syrup.
Powered by Recipage

I’ve also made a smaller version of it, eyeballing the cocoa powder and stevia:

This is about 1/2 cup of egg whites. Smaller snack, equally as nutritious and delicious.

My roommate loves that this makes our apartment smells like brownies. She also likes that I make this every night. Protein, healthy fats — like a bedtime snack of awesome.

Can you tell I love chocolate?

What makes your days better?
Frosting: Chocolate or vanilla? (I’m all about the chocolate fudge)

Sarah October 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM

1) that looks delicious! and SO easy! I’m definitely trying that for dessert one day this week, like tonight
2) I hate getting parking tickets. This summer, my friends at my marina put a fake one on my car and I freaked out. Sometimes you can get them retracted if you explain what happened? (i.e. someone parking awkwardly causing you to park illegally)
3) vanilla, yummmm :)

Katelyn Block October 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

So scared to argue the ticket :( I’ll just pay it. Merp. Gotta suck it up and be an adult. ps let me know when you try it!! ;)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Well I know what i’ll be eating as soon as I can eat eggs again! This looks fantastic!!! Cupcakes are the secret to world peace.

Katelyn Block October 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

You can’t eat eggs?! I think I would cry.

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Mmmm yummers! Cupcakes are always the best way to brighten up a cloudy day. Keep your head up buttercup.

Katelyn Block October 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Thanks lady ;)

RunEatRepeat October 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I make a similar egg cake in the micro because I always have cocoa powder on hand. It’s important stuff :)

Katelyn Block October 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

And so EASY! I can hardly call this thing a recipe. So awesome.

Joanna Broadbent October 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Sorry for the bad day, but yum!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing the cupcake!!!!!

Angela W October 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM

OMG! That cupcake looks AMAZING!! I will have to try this out! I love how you were able to turn your day around. I struggle with that sometimes, and really try to put the effort forward to keep smiling and stay positive. Thanks for this blog!

Katelyn Block October 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Of course lady!! Thank YOU.

Brittany October 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM

This looks awesome. I want to try making it tonight!!

Katelyn Block October 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Did you try it out?! Would love to know what you think!

Candice October 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I have made something similar! a little chocolate in your day really does make things better, right?!
and Ellen!;)
No frosting for me! ;)

Katelyn Block October 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Right?! Chocolate makes everythinggg better.

jenna October 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM

that cupcake does look so cool!!! i am really sorry to hear about your crap day! that really stinks!!! i must say i love the shoes youre wearing though! when my days stink i just pray really hard and know that God will hear me to take care of me. chocolate definitely always helps too!!! spa <3

HollieisFueledByLOLZ October 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM

MM girl the weather in upstate was ridiculous today! I want those mocs! I’d love to come to Syracuse and get dinner with you sometime! :-)

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM

this looks really yummy and easy to make in my dorm room! would a packet of stevia be equivalent to 1/2tsp stevia powder?

Debbie @ Live from La Quinta October 17, 2012 at 12:10 AM

So it’s really like a chocolate egg, right? Interesting. I’m still vegan, so not my cup of tea, but interesting.

Chris Donnelly October 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

i’m not going to lie! I’m a sucker for a Cupcake (who isn’t)!! Add chocolate and i’m pretty much game. I’ll have to try this out but if it becomes a bad addiction…it’s all your fault! lol ;)

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate October 17, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Looks delish! Got to love a “cupcake” that you can make and eat under than 5 min. :-)

Miz October 17, 2012 at 4:58 AM

that AND my family? :-)

Katie @wishandwhimsy October 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Sounds amazing (and easy too!) Pinning!

Sarah October 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Got to love paleo cupcakes, but really this sounds epic. Going to make this and top it with some almond butter (and who am I kidding… probably enjoy life chocolate chips). Thank you for the recipe idea girl! As for your day, it was definitely a long haul and there’s no doubt there. Cold feet+yucky weather+parking ticket (so dumb, yes blame the person in front/parking meter readers), definitely a bad combo BUT you made it good. You made it a positive day by focusing on what is good, what you want, and re-focusing yourself. I think it’s so key to be able to maintain that positive energy even when negatives happen. At the end of the day, good and bad are both going to occur, probably not creating an equal balance… whether or not the day is good or bad though it all up to us and how we can focus our energy. Keep rockin’ ;)

Katelyn Block October 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Your comment just made me SO HAPPY. Love you girl!!!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness October 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Everything is better with some chocolate! I think you are a genius for this recipe! Looks amazing and so simple to make! Perfect for when you just need some chocolate :)

Kate @ Kate is eating October 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM

YUM! I cannot wait to make this. Who doesn’t want to open their microwave to find a giant cupcake in there? Great recipe!

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I love paleo desserts! Pinned! Hope today is better!

Patty October 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I am so trying this tonight! I have everything in my fridge! Thank you!

Kat October 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

God bless you and your protein muffin :)

Pavement Runner October 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Looks great.

Sorry to hear about the ticket. That is no good. Glad you were able to get your workout in.

LA October 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Great recipe!

But I have to say, no one MADE you park illegally. You made a choice. It sucks that someone took up 2 spots, but you could have chosen not to take up 1/2 of a handicapped spot.

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal October 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Wow that is so easy! I’m skeptical about the texture this may have… might have to try it out for myself! The smaller version first, to be sure :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 23, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Oh my gosh. If caffienne didn’t affect me like it does I’d make that RIGHT NOW! But I’ll wait til the morning. I am SO making this, Katelyn!!!!! :D (Just pinned it too!)

Elle October 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I do make something SOMEWHAT similar but mine has less egg whites and a TBS of flour. I like yours better and am going to try it this afternoon.. it will be my after workout snack… egg whites are good recovery protein right?

topaz21 November 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM

This sounds great,I found it on “We can begin to feed” and was directed here for the recipe,I now know what is for breakfast tomorrow Thanks.

topaz21 November 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM

This sounds great,I found it on “We can begin to feed” breakfast tomorrow Thanks.

topaz21 November 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM

This sounds great,” breakfast tomorrow Thanks.

GiGi Eats Celebrities November 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Okay this seriously JUST MADE MY DAY too!!!!! I love this recipe, I can finally eat it! So many paleo recipes include flours like coconut flour or almond flour, and I just don’t eat flours in general, BUT THIS I can eat!!! Does it really taste like harsh dark chocolate cocoa though? Not a huge fan of chocolate… Maybe I can make this with a little less cocoa powder and add a little vanilla or something? I am stoked, this sound AMAZING :) I love experimenting!

Ingrid February 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Hey, been reading since the vegan days, never said hi, so hi now! Anyways I made this and it really didn’t taste good (I was missing chic chips so obvi would have been better) but how much stevia did you use? I have the super condensed one