The WOD That Killed Me + Unusual Food Logic

by Katelyn Block on October 19, 2012 · 14 comments

Proof that the sun came out today! It’s been hiding for far too long. Soaking up the rays.

Good afternoon, everyone! Raise your hand if you’re SO HAPPY IT’S THE WEEKEND. I can’t wait. Although the weekend won’t be all play, I’m excited to see some of my best girls again, and see my family tomorrow. Living an hour and a half away from home is both a curse and a blessing — my family is close enough to visit, but they’re also close enough to visit.

Ha. ;)

Currently listening to:

Can’t get enough DM. I was first introduced to the magic that is Dave Matthews my junior year of high school, thanks to a boyfriend at the time who listened to Dave 24/7. Best way to get to know a band? I think so.

Get a load of my yoga pants post-WOD today.

Chalk. On chalk on chalk. That’s what happens when you almost die. Those are my Reebok RealFlex shoes (I love these, wear them everywhere) and the world’s (second) best foam roller. The first best has spikes on it. You heard me.

Spikes.

If that’s not badass, I don’t know what is.

Today’s WOD:

WOD 121019:

BB Gymnastics

1) Every 30 seconds for 4:30 (10 total reps):

1 Power Snatch + 1 Hang Snatch (full squat) @ 80% of 120914.

Notes: Reps are at 0:00 – 0:30 – 1:00 – 1:30 – 2:00 – 2:30 – 3:00 – 3:30 – 4:00 – 4:30

*rest 2 minutes

2) Every 40 seconds for 6:00 minutes (10 total reps):

1 Power Clean + 1 Hang Clean (full squat) + 1 Push Jerk @ 80% of 120914.

Notes: Reps are at 0:00 – 0:40 – 1:20 – 2:00 – 2:40 – 3:20 – 4:00 – 4:40 – 5:20 – 6:00

Conditioning

3 rounds for time of:

10 KB Snatch + OH Lunge (R arm, L leg) 24/16kg DEMO VIDEO
10 KB Snatch + OH Lunge (L arm, R leg) 24/16kg
20 Lateral Burpee Over the Box Jumps 20″
30 Jumping Squats 45#

Managed this in 24 minutes. When I say “managed”, I mean “barely completed this without puking”. Isn’t that a great feeling?

The conditioning was what really got me. The lateral burpee over-the-box jumps. They’re as awful as they sound, trust me.

Hurts so good.

I refueled with a load of slow-cooker chicken and steamed broccoli, then made a ton of green juice. Best decision I’ve made all week. Them good vitamin-loaded carbohydrates make my muscles feel like magic.

Sometimes, post-WOD, I pick up one or two of these at my Box:

They sell Tanka Bars, Bear Fruit Bars, and these Alligator things. They’re really good, and I usually finish it before they give my change back. YUUUM, protein!

Still snacking on cupcakes….

Pretty much every night before bed, I have one of these. Maybe it’s counterintuitive to have chocolate before bed, but I do it anyway. The egg protein puts me right to sleep!

My training has really started to make me tired and I’m making sure to take in plenty of recovery fuel. I can usually feel whether I need more protein, fat, or carbohydrate, respectively, and take care of it at that time.

A lot of you have asked if I plan my meals or portions, but I don’t. I put food in a bowl (usually whatever I’m craving — protein, fat, carbs, a combination), and eat until I’m hungry, or until I’ve finished the bowl. My reasoning is usually, if I’m full already but have more in the bowl, might as well finish it; less to eat later.

Do you have this logic too?
What have you been up to lately?
Do you plan your meals or weigh/measure your portions?

Let’s chat!

p.s. Shoutout to my pancake buddy, Elizabeth! She also just put up a paleo pancake recipe, with the addition of almond butter, flax, and other goodies. I’m a fan. ;) Go check out the Guilty Kitchen!

Emily @ Have Your Cake And October 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I have that logic too! Hah I know you always hear “eat until you’re satisfied/full” but I mean.. it’ll save me from a snack later so why not just finish what I have instead of wasting it????

Alex Bridgeforth (@alexbridgeforth) October 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I’m totally with you but that can get me into trouble with a bag of chips.

Joanna October 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Alligator Bobs… Definitely seen that. It’s a FL export for ya! :)

Sarah October 19, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I eat pretty much the same thing every night so I guess that counts as planning? I do portion out my serving sizes though. I use the exact same logic- I’ll eat even when I’m stuffed if it’s my favorite food haha

Alex Bridgeforth (@alexbridgeforth) October 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM

What do you normally eat every night? I normally have homemade popcorn when i get home every night.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

That WOD sounds killer! Box jumps alone FREAK me out–I can’t imagine doing the movement you did! lol. Nice job Katelyn! My portions and how much attention I pay to them depends on the day! lol. Sometimes I use a kitchen scale and sometimes I don’t.

Lauren October 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM

It melts my heart that you’re listening to the new DMB album. :) Happy weekend love!

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit October 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Dannnnnggggg, way to rep that WOD! Nice work! Spiky foam rollers are amazingly painful, in a good way! As for eats, I usually have a general idea in my mind of what is going to be for lunches & dinners throughout the week so I can grocery shop efficiently. Still need to try that big ol’ cupcake…yum!

Ariel October 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Wow that is a LONG killer WOD! Maybe try this one tomorrow? Who knows :) But with the jumping squat, is that a 45# bar you jump with? Also, have you tried Ostrich jerky? I know they sell it at GNC and I LOVE it. So good! So much protein too! Much better than those shit sticks..I mean SlimJims..even though I ate those like candy as a kid and washed it down with a Slush Puppy..oh the days ;)

Michelle@Peachy Palate October 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I eat until the plate or bowl is wiped clean, it’s ingrained in me! The only problem being a I have eyes bigger than my belly so I always end up a little over full…better that than hungry!

Alex Bridgeforth (@alexbridgeforth) October 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Being Vegan I have the same logic, I eat until I’m not hungry. I’m kinda crazy where, I’ve eaten like 10 peaches in one sitting or ten apples or oranges. I love me some fruit and crave it quite often. Who needs to plan what they eat when they are working out 3 times a day most of the time. I did an amazing 65 mile bike ride today. It was really mostly for one of my buddys. He really struggled mentally and fought through it to finish off the ride. I never plan out my meals. i got home form my ride and had my “all you need in life” smoothie; Green Machine, Udo’s Omega 3-6-9 Oil, Raw Coconut Milk, Veggie Protein, Quinoa, Oats, Chia Seeds, Goji Berries, Hemp Hearts, Raw Cacao, Orange Juice, and Ice,

Alex Bridgeforth (@alexbridgeforth) October 29, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Just want to respond to this, “If that’s not badass, I don’t know what is.” PVC is badass.
No one knows how bad a roller can tear you up until you put a piece of 5″ PVC on your muscle. That’s all.

Katelyn Block October 31, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Hahahahah oh goodness. I’ll have to try that out!