Progress + PR’s: It’s All About Day-by-Day

by Katelyn Block on October 25, 2012 · 20 comments

Hey everyone! How’s your day been so far? Mine has been SUNNY. It’s 75 degrees and absolutely beautiful here – and of course I’m stuck inside doing work. Typical.

Today I figured I would give you a little update on my training and the awesome GAINS I’ve made. Lately I’m all about embracing progress, gains both big and small.

Small steps lead to big ones, and that’s what I tell myself every day. If I can lift with better form than I did yesterday, or lift five pounds heavier than I did last week, I’ve made notable progress. Over time, this adds up to PR’s that surprise you.

LAST WEEK:

• 75# snatch
  • Kipping AND butterfly pull-up (thanks to awesome coaching by Mani)

Source

THIS WEEK:

• 100# squat clean
  • 150# back squat
  • FINALLY able to do hand stands away from the wall — free standing for 5-10 seconds at a time

Maybe one day I can rock THIS awesome move by Scott:

One day. Eventually.

Shout-out to an awesome coaching team that celebrates these little victories with me. Forreal. They can all lift exponentially more than I do, and are way more proficient in their movements, but know what it’s like to get a PR, especially in the beginning. Five pounds more than last time? Ten pounds? Twenty-five? I’ll take it!

TRAINING:

I did regular training sessions last week (one a day, following Outlaw), and this week I’m taking a slightly different approach. Monday and Tuesday I split my workout in two: Strength portion of Outlaw in the morning, and the regular CrossFit 315 WOD in the evening.

It was BRUTAL and my body was definitely shocked. So I took Wednesday off. I got good rest, hydration, and nutrients, and am feeling awesome today. Waking up to sunshine really does amazing things for your day!

I already did a strength workout earlier today (short, did a warmup and then snatch off blocks, push presses, and weighed GHD sit-ups) and practiced my handstands because they’re too fun :) Everything is better upside-down.

How did you Sweat Dirty today?
What’s it like in your neck of the woods?
Do you like your coffee sweet or black?

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Way to go on your PRs girl!! I PR’d my Clean & Jerk this week at 95# I love celebrating the victories!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness October 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Congrats on the PR!!! One of the many things I love about CrossFit is celebrating constant progress! You are always fitter after every WOD you accomplish! Nothing better!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 25, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Congrats on the PR’s! :) The pull up pictures are awesome! It is chilly here. I kind of like it but I don’t want it to get any cooler. As for coffee, I’ve been drinking it black with either cream or coconut milk in it. I’m getting ready to head to the box now to work on lots of mobility + snatch.

Jen October 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Congrats on the PRs. The pictures are great :) It is snowing today, not ready for this :( Need extra coffee to moving today!

Candice October 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Great Job! PR’s def. make you badass. ;)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Congratulations on the PRs!!! That’s so exciting.

I drink my coffee black. Like my soul. ;)

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans October 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Congrats on the PRs! That’s awesome!
It’s sunny and 75 here too, but it’s supposed to snow on Monday, booo.
And black coffee is the only way to go in my book!

The get in shape girl October 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Butterfly pull-ups?! You beast! Congrats on the snatch. I just got 3 at 80# yesterday, which I’ve done two before, but they’re feeling much better. Of course if love to report that I got a PR at 85# but it def takes patience!!!

Ali October 25, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Congrats on your PRs!! I’m really jealous of your weather; it SNOWED here today :( Way too early!!

Bethany Lee October 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Great for the PRs!!! i like your pictures–I need one of those on my garage. :-)
The video was exceptional. Is he a friend of yours?

Sarah October 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Today I did a 5 mile run with 10 starts at the end… not a “dirty” workout by any means.
Congrats on the PR! That’s always such a good feeling!

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 25, 2012 at 7:22 PM

awesome job on your PR’s! I don’t think I have been taking crossfit enough yet to make any little jump in weight a PR!

Laura October 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Yes, handstand are so fun life is waaay better upside down. :) I do em everyday.
I like my coffee strong and black.

Hillary October 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I just hopped on my computer tonight hoping for a new ChefKatelyn post :)

How long have you been doing CF, girlie? Do you have a blog post about your first CF experience? How often do you practice/train? Do you do other exercise in addition? Love hearing about your progress, keep it up!!

Clare October 26, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Awesome PR’s, biggest congrats Katelyn!
Yeess we have been enjoying some delicious sun here too ;)

Ariel October 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Girl you are KILLING IT. It’s amazing how your improving so fast! Jealous! Handstands and handstand walks are something I’ve always wanted to do (as well as a million other things haha) good for you! And is that you in the picture? I couldn’t tell and it was driving me crazy! Haha

Sarah @ Run, Write, Conquer October 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Congrats on your PRs! The best part about CrossFit is that you get to experience small victories weekly, if not daily. It might not always be those 5+ pound jumps in weight, but simply doing one extra rep at the same weight is just enough to keep people coming back! Keep up the good work!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Way to go on the PR’s! It’s about 55 and sunny in Boston today :) I like my coffee with just skim milk :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Haha. I love how you said that everything is better upside-down. Sometimes it’s the only way to see things clearly. It really does clear up your head and you’re able to think. :)

Reid October 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Katelyn,

Your site is very inspiring. I just wanted to let you know I have enjoyed the recipes and great blog. Congrats on your PR. Feel free to view my site if you want to put a name with a face. Your site is so much fun…great energy.

Enjoy the week,