Training + Diet Update {plus a meatbawl recipe}

by Katelyn Block on October 31, 2012 · 20 comments

Hi guys! How’s your day going so far?

Currently in my house eating a salad with pumpkin-seed oil and lemon juice, baby carrots on the side. I had a protein shake a couple of hours ago, so I’m having this and then probably some lamb meatballs from last night’s slow cooker experiment. They turned out UNREAL.

Either I’m a dang good cook or I’m just really good at throwing random things together. Probably the latter.

A lot of you have been asking about my training and diet, so here’s a VLOG update:

True fact, my biceps are getting too big for my t-shirts. Crazy, huh? That CrossFit stuff must be making me strong or something.

The last two days, I’ve been following the CrossFit Invictus Competition Program. Lately I’ve been loving experimenting with different programs. As many of you probably remember, I have been following Outlaw programming for a couple of months, but have started adding more workouts. My coaches don’t always like this, but I’m stubborn and get antsy.

I’ve  been doing a strength-oriented workout in the morning (via either Outlaw, Invictus, or something I come up with while I’m sitting in class), and then a MetCon at night. This has been working really well, and I’m noticing drastic improvements in my ability to maintain heavy loads over a long period of time. AKA, stamina.

This is a good thing.

Because I love breakfast. Current staple: 3 fried eggs, 1.5 cups blueberries, 1 tbsp. almond butter. Coffee + water on the side.

On that note, I’m currently the eating lamb meatballs I made last night in the slow cooker. Beef chuck roast currently in the pot, spiced and doused in marinara. I don’t have a picture (it’s nearly impossible to make meatballs look pretty, at least in my house), but here’s the meatball recipe:

Slow-Cooker Lamb Meatballs

Ingredients:

• 1 pound ground lamb
  • 1 medium-large red onion
  • 1 bag frozen mixed mushrooms, or other vegetable
  • 1 egg
  • Italian seasoning
  • salt + pepper
  • marinara sauce

Directions:

1. Dice your onion. Add half to the bottom of your slow cooker, as well as the mushrooms.
  2. In a mixing bowl, crack and whisk your egg.
  3. Add your seasonings, salt + pepper and mix.
  4. Add your ground meat and mix everything together by hand, adding in the remaining diced onion.
  5. Form into four meatballs (smaller or larger, whatever you’re into), and place on top of the mushrooms and onions.
  6. Douse everything in a healthy pour of marinara.
  7. Set your slow cooker on Low for 6-7 hours.
I cooked mine for 6 hours, and they were fully cooked but slightly pink on the inside. I don’t mind them this way because I end up putting them in the microwave from the refrigerator; instead of nuking to hot and dry, they get nuked to hot and perfectly cooked. Magic.

I recommend using whatever vegetables and spices you have on hand. The beautiful thing about meatballs (possibly the only “beautiful” thing) is that you can use nearly any vegetable, spice, or sauce (within reason) and they will turn out delicious. Awesome.

I’ve been eating more vegetables (adding up to probably 8 or 9 cups a day… not as much as I think I need, but getting the calories elsewhere), adding in more carbohydrates (berries or sweet potato at breakfast and lunch), and taking at least 2 scoops of this bad boy post-workout:

BSN, you steal my heart. I don’t know how you came up with this, but this powder quite seriously tastes like milkshake and I’ll be damned if I didn’t drink it at least twice a day. Wow. The perfect combination of post-workout nutrition (protein, carbs, fat) and still using ingredients I can pronounce.

For awhile I was using my trainer’s Syntha-6 (he convinced me to try it because Rich Froning uses it. Give me that reasoning and I’ll try almost anything), and then decided I had to buy my own. On Amazon, it’s $45 for a 5-pound container (tip: if you’re worried about which flavor to get, be very worried…. they’re all incredible), which is $0.49 a scoop. If I’m drinking this post-workout or as a meal replacement (don’t hate me, I’m always on the go), I’ll take two scoops.

Less than a dollar for a meal? I’m about it.

That’s what’s going on with my training and my diet.

Tell me:

How have you been Sweating Dirty lately?
Favorite protein supplement? Why?
How was your Halloweekend?! Unreal…. so good I forgot today was actual Halloween. Oops! Happy Halloween!

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

i haven’t been sweating it out as much as i’d like lately – it was tough to squeeze in quality workouts with midterms (especially since whenever i did want to actually squeeze in a workout it was prime-time for people to go to the gym and i HATE crowded gyms). but i am working on changing that and fitting in more quick n dirty workouts because i definitely feel like i’m losing a little bit of my endurance.

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Lovin the Pretty Muddy Shirt!! I need to email you about that… Also- I would do anything that Rich Froning Does

Claudia October 31, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I’ve been doing crossfit workouts at my school gym, it’s the closest I can get to a real box sadly! Your meatballs sound awesome, I love my crockpot too! It’s my savior when I have class and work all day and coming home to a warm meal is magiccc although I think my roommates think I am turning into a housewife. I just ordered the Progenex protein in chocolate last night after a whole lot of research, didn’t you use that at some point too? I’m curious to see what you thought of it! I’m hoping its worth the hefty price tag. You sound like you’re having a great time with crossfit and your pr’s lately which is amazing and I am jealous! Keep it up girl!

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM

those meatballs sound soooo good.. and in a crockpot! even better! I’ve never heard of these different workouts i’ll have to look into them! I’m not a big fan of protein powders! I wish I didn’t mind drinking my food instead of eating it.. but I love eating way toooo much!

jenna k October 31, 2012 at 6:45 PM

mmm meatballs. i’ve been heating up frozen ones as part of my breakfast, and they are SO yummy.
i’ve been curious about getting a protein powder. omg THEY HAVE CHOCOLATE CAKE BATTER. !!!!!! or chocolate pb. or caramel latte. nm, i’ll never be able to decide on a flavor from this brand.
i was sick about a week and a half ago. like, stomach upset, no moving, sick. it was only for a couple days, but i haven’t worked out since… until today. i sweat so dirty today. my legs were shaking, and i was dying during cardio, but i loved it. i love working out, but it’s so hard for me to get back in after i’ve had to take a break. don’t get it.

Tiff @ My Smile Saga October 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I love Syntha-6! I’ve been using it for years and I think the Chocolate Mint is my favorite flavor. It mixes so well with water and the flavors are all great! I haven’t been sweating it out as much as normal because I had jaw surgery a month ago and my mouth is wired shut. I can’t do any impact activities and my energy is really low despite the amount of protein shakes and soup I have to drink. I just about drooled when I saw your meatball recipe and NEED to try it as soon as I can eat!

jenna October 31, 2012 at 6:57 PM

ive never tried lamb meat before, but it must be good if you recommend it! i really don’t like meat on a bone, so doing the meatballs would be perfect for me!! Thanks for the new idea! do you use coconut oil when you fry your eggs? they look deliciously crispy! have a great halloween! spa <3

Amanda @ Run Principessa October 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM

As I tweeted last night, those meatballs look BANGIN and I’m so jealous that you’re snacking on them and not me. ;) I’m not very informed in terms of protein supplementation, but I’m certainly trying to learn more about it!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate October 31, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I have been taking it easy on my bod lately and decreasing the time of my workouts but still making sure to sweat plenty! ;-) The lamb meatballs have me dying, I will definitely be making them once I can get my hands on some good quality lamb.

Kat October 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Thanks from the reference to Invictus! I definitely gotta get back to more whole foods…sweets have gotta go, but sometimes us girls have tough times once a month ;)
FFA SPA <3

Grether @ College&Cardio October 31, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Hot damn! Your biceps are looking great. Congrats on all of the progress & keep pumping out those tough WODs :) My box is starting to get into strength heavy routines as well (goodbye for now beloved Metcon!) My upper body no likey

xoxo, Grether

Marissa October 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I’m gonna have to try that protein! I’ve been looking for a new brand.
What are some of your favorite healthy living blogs? I’m looking to add some new material to my google reader!

Hillary November 1, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Thanks for the update, Miss. I missed ya this weekend. You’re always gettin’ after it and I love it!

So do you go to your box 2x/day 5x/week, or…? I’m assuming you do all your workouts at a CF box, but maybe not. Do you have an unlimited monthly membership?

Keep up the work on those guns, lady ;) I love hearing about your meals and moves.

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

So excited to hear about your competitions! I think you should totally do one! You would love it! I always look forward to hearing about your training and diet! You are doing awesome with your training! If you’re ever looking for another competitors program to follow Ben Bergeron from CFNE posts daily programming on http://competitorswod.blogspot.com/

Hannah November 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

You seem so happy and at peace – with your work outs, eating, life. I love it. I know bloggers get flak all the time for their lifestyles, but I love your “I don’t care, this is my life and this is what works for me” attitude – something I need to adopt even as a non-blogger!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I think I’m in need of more protein because every time I’ve seen eggs today, my mouth starts watering. HA!

alyssa November 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I’ve never had lamb… I’m nervous! Might have to try this recipe!

Kat November 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I’ve never understood how people eat fruit + protein together! Fruits digest in under 30 minutes, so while your other food is digesting (which could take hours) the fruit is just fermenting in your stomach! Maybe people don’t notice it, but it makes for some serious and unnecessary discomfort.

Katherine November 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM