{Double WOD} x2 + When Someone Makes Your Day

by Katelyn Block on November 5, 2012 · 25 comments

Wow, what a day. Hi guys!! I’m feeling so dang happy right now and I just have to share it.

First, let’s note tonight’s WOD, titled “Don’t Drop The Bar”:

Team of 2 (135/95)
3 rounds for time
- 10 shoulder to overhead
- 10 back squat
- 10 hang clean
- 10 front squat

* one person works with one bar at a time
** sets of 10 have to be completed before the next movement begins
*** if the bar touches the ground there’s a 10 burpee penalty at the time of the drop before you can begin your reps again.

Cool, we dropped the bar.

This morning’s WOD was fun (strength and skills, weee!), but tonight’s was… interesting. I really liked it because all of these movements rock my socks. But the first time I did this workout was with a 70# bar and it was way too light. But I took the opportunity to practice doing movements quickly more than just challenging myself with a heavy weight. I was happy with how winded I was at the end and high-fived a bunch of the other athletes.

Man, I love high fives.

After the workout, I was still feeling like I had soooo much energy (isn’t it funny how we fool ourselves sometimes?), and started on some snatch work. Then Kristin comes over and says, “Hey, you want to do the workout again?”. This is the part where my ears perk up. Yup. I’m about it.

Insert: Picture of an Americano I had yesterday that has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

So I do the WOD again, this time we get ambitious and decide to throw 85# on the bar. Oh yeah, that’s cute. This is when we dropped it (twice) and had to do burpees on the first round. That lasted about 40 reps and then we went back down to 70#. My muscles were smoked and my poor partner was probably petrified from the 85 we had on there before. Sorry, buddy.

After this my body was finally throwing up a white flag and I went to Wegman’s. It was a different store this time (I swear there’s one every 10 miles), and they didn’t have the eggs I usually buy, nor did they have the teriyaki sauce I love so much. But it’s cool. I’m going to load up on teriyaki and butter tomorrow. I have good priorities. In other notes, I had trouble finding the bacon and it was kind of embarrassing. This grocery store was laid out kind of like a mouse maze and I felt like a lost child about 80% of the trip. I got over it after my cart was loaded with veggies. I’ll do a grocery post soon so you all can see the embarrassing amount of produce I buy every week. Mmmm I love me some vegetables!

But really, I love green beans.

On a side note, my workout partner said something tonight that made me really happy.

I don’t think a lot of people know when they make someone’s day, but as I was bent over, sweaty, and cheering for my workout partner, I threw in a bunch of encouraging words because I knew how she felt. I could feel how each rep was burning and knew that distracting her a little bit with counting down reps, encouragement at the bottom of the movement, what have you, would help her get through the movements. This is second nature for me, to coach someone on their technique and encourage them to increase and maintain power while they exercise. It comes from being a tiny person and becoming a coxswain for a short period of time during my crew days.

Anyway, so after the WOD, she told me that the things I said during the workout were really encouraging. Which is such a simple thing to say, but honestly made my night and helped me to feel like I had done something good for someone else.

Same as above. Has nothing to do with the topic. I just like DMB.

I said thank you, and told her that I want to be a coach. There are so many things that you can learn as a person, but sharing it with other people is just an even more incredible thing. I can work day in and day out on a movement, but truly understanding a movement, a sport, or how to effectively coach others is a skill that is soooo incredibly amazing. It’s beautiful, really. To be able to take what you know and effectively help someone else, and instill confidence within them that they can do it too… is what life is all about. Passing on knowledge, confidence, and love to other people. And most of all, helping others to believe in themselves. Ugh. It makes my heart so happy.

Have any of you ever experienced this?

Anyways. Tomorrow’s WOD is yucky. I looked at it already. True fact, I stay until closing time at the gym and get to see the next day’s workout before anyone else does.

Oh, I feel special sometimes.

Time for this girl to hit the hay! SO glad so many of you loved this morning’s recipe. If you try it, be sure to send me a picture because I love food photos. P.S. I am currently eating bacon and eggs for the third time today. Fine with it.

Do you do breakfast for dinner?
Has anyone ever said something that made your day, without realizing it?
What are your thoughts on bacon?

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean November 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM

but really, you keep taunting me with this picture of green beans!!! :)

TriGirl November 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I’m so amazed by everyone who does Crossfit. I feel like I would be lying on the floor with the weights just sitting on top of me!

Breakfast for dinner? Yes! I love eggs and bacon for dinner :)

Sarah November 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Two words: green beans.
Yum.
Glad you had a great day. It really does help when someone says something so meaningful to you. Raises up your confidence and makes you feel on top of the world- I definitely know that feeling. Hopefully tomorrow is just as wonderful for you!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl November 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Wish I had that much energy! Nice job.
And love your statement, “Passing on knowledge, confidence, and love to other people. And most of all, helping others to believe in themselves.” Makes me happy.

Lisa @ RunWiki November 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I am addicted to green beans too! You’re a great friend and workout partner; I am sure she is so grateful to have someone like you by her side, getting her through those tough moments. Have a great week!

Julie @ Better Life with Burgers November 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Ahhhh, CrossFit still scares me. I am ALL ABOUT breakfast for dinner! Probably three times a month: banana pancakes, whole wheat waffles, French toast…so delicious!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } November 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM

I’m a college professor (for about 5 years now!) and will be starting as a personal trainer as well in January and my life is absolutely ignited by passing on what I know to others and helping them achieve their goals. Seeing someone you taught finally ‘get it’ feels 100x’s better than when you learned it yourself!

Kierston November 6, 2012 at 6:49 AM

I love breakfast for dinner! I could eat breakfast all day long lol

NYC Fit GIrl November 6, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I love breakfast for dinner, I also love a big ol’ bowl of veggies. I wanted to extend and invitation to you and your box. CrossFit Fifth Ave (which I know you love) is having a Sandy WOD this weekend at 11 AM. Everyone is welcome so spread the word!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I loooove brinner. Especially if it involves bacon. ;)

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Love this post! Sometimes the simplest things really can make your day! I’m sure you will be a fantastic coach someday Katelyn! have you signed up for the level one yet??

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I think it’s just proof that it’s the little things in life that we cherish. The other day I dragged my huge back of books & laptop to Starbucks for an afternoon study session. When I got there and ordered my drink, it showed up in a red cup. Who knew that the color of the cup would bring a bit of joy to a long afternoon in the books? But it was perfect. :)

Jenna November 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

You would be a fantastic coach!! Im loving that dream for you! I also love breakfast anytime of day!!! Spa <3

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife November 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM

wow that wod seems like it would be awesome… once you are done with it! haha. It definitely seems challenging! What a great way to spend your day!(:

Heather @ Better With Veggies November 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

What a great complement, I love when I’m able to encourage someone else – that’s such a great feeling!!

Kristin @ My Mission Impossible November 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Hahaha, you beat me, I often eat eggs twice a day, usually when I’m too lazy to get more creative for dinner, but 3, don’t think that’s ever happened!

Elizabeth November 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Ummm. bacon. It’s meat candy. I eat a lot of it… it comes from local, happy pigs.My kids eat breakfast for dinner just about every night. Here’s how it goes:

“Hey kids, what do you want for dinner?”
Simultaneous explosion of squeaky child voices: “BACON AND EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Yup, I love my kids.

Ali November 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I miss Wegman’s!!! Ohh that brought back memories… How are your arms and legs feeling today ;). Lots of recovery foods are on the menu I bet!

kim@hungryhealthygirl November 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Sounds like you’re already an awesome coach! Love breakfast for dinner. I like bacon….I only get turkey bacon from Trader Joe’s with no nitrates or any other nasty ingredient.

Elle November 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Hey, we just never know how we affect someone else do we, unless they actuall tell us… so isn’t it good to be so positive and encouraging.. obviously just what your friend needed and how nice of her to let you know. You both came away feeling great!

I love green beans, especially raw or just blanched.

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I did 85# hang cleans in the WOD today and it really pushed me. I’m gunning for an RX’d WOD with 95# cleans before the end of the year…. BRING IT ON! LOL

Mary @ Lost After Losing November 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Hey Katelyn,

Dumb question. 70# and 85# means 70 lbs. and 85 lbs., right? If so, that’s craaaazy! We did a similar wod at my box last week, and 10 shoulders to overhead with that much weight would have absolutely killed me. Or I would killed myself.

Katelyn Block November 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Yes it does!!! Haha, there are no dumb questions around here, lady! ;) Thanks girlfriend. OMG my upper body is killling me today.

jenna k November 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM

omg i love reading people’s grocery posts. i’m such a grocery nerd, and i loooove seeing what other people buy and how they plan their trips and whatnot. i haaate when i can’t find something and have to circle the store millions of time. especially teeny stores like TJ’s. i feel so embarrassed bc i usually order my list in the order of the store, so when i do that, i totally feel like a lost puppy.

Miz November 12, 2012 at 6:05 AM

you are so badasshardcoreamazing.