{Thanksgiving Throwdown}: Competition Recap!

by Katelyn Block on November 14, 2012 · 21 comments

Post image for {Thanksgiving Throwdown}: Competition Recap!

Hey everyone! Good morning! I promised you all a recap of my competition, so I’m going to do that and then tell you about my new training regimen in the next post. Both are just too lengthy to squeeze in one!

On Thursday, we visited my grandparents in New Jersey (a convenient way to see family and get a free place to stay), and then headed out to Connecticut on Friday. We spent the day donating Hurricane Sandy donations from our Box, sipping on Dunkin,

And just generally being funny people.

After we got into the hotel, we were starving and had to scavenge for food. Because we’re, like, cavewomen.

Our cave of choice: Whole Foods.

1.45 pounds of pure awesome. Beef brisket, teriyaki chicken, and a few sweet potato wedges that aren’t that important. Let’s talk about this beef brisket.

Um. unreal. I could drink the sauce. I did drink the sauce. I dipped my sweet potato fries in the sauce. That sauce. I want it.

I had a kombucha too because I like to treat myself sometimes and we were thoroughly food-coma’d into blissful sleepiness. What I love about hotels: Everyone gets their own giant bed to spread out on. I jumped on mine like a little kid. Not a problem.

The next morning, I had three hard boiled eggs, trail mix (homemade), and an apple. And coffee.

Warming up!

America really does run on Dunkin. In the past I’ve been biased towards Starbucks, but lately I’ve been really digging Dunkin’s black coffee. I honestly think it’s the only coffee that I can get somewhere and enjoy drinking it black. I approve so much that I bought their holiday Peppermint Mocha ground coffee. Just because.

Who doesn’t want some peppermint mocha in their life? I’m so about it.

We got to the event, checked in, and had a look at the WODs. I was in the Women’s Scaled division, 0-135 lb weight class.

WOD #1:

3 minutes overhead squat @ 45#
4 minutes rest
3 minutes snatch @ 45#

Completed 93 total reps, placed first in my division.

WOD #2:

10 minute AMRAP:

30 singles
10 pass-thrus
10 back squats w/ 25# plate
10 step-ups w/ 10# plate
10 knees to elbows

Completed 4.4 rounds, placed second in my division.

WOD #3:

For time:

1000m row
75 air squats
2 mile run
50 push-ups

Completed in 32:00, placed third in my division.

WOD #4 (finals):

Battle ropes for 1 minute while being sprayed with a cold water hose
Car push
Tire flips
Sled pull
Tire hammer
Baseball throw
Football catch
3 rope ascents

This was nasty. So incredibly nasty. Throughout the day, I munched on fruit and trail mix, but for the most part, my stomach couldn’t handle much. After all of the events, I celebrated my 2nd place finish with 2 scoops of BSN Syntha-6. Because it’s my fave and tastes like milkshake.

Just for kicks, this is me working it out:

The blonde one on the left. All of the other pictures aren’t quite as flattering. I think I make really strange faces when I work out without realizing it. Okay with it.

After the competition, we went back to our hotel, retreated to our respective (giant) beds, watched the Hangover and fell asleep. When we woke up, it was shower time so we could go eat food. We were only kind of a bit starving.

Our restaurant of choice: McLadden’s Irish Pubhouse in West Hartford, CT.

We got burgers because there’s nothing better. Topped with mushrooms, bacon, and guac. Sweet potato fries on the side. Like that’s even a question.

We got Pinkberry afterwards.

WINNING. By the time we were finishing our dinner, our muscles started to really feel the pain. When we got to the mall for Pinkberry, we were really feeling it, and scarfed that ish down. Sugar is good for muscle repair, ya heard?

Kidding. No more sugar for this girl. Except for the froyo we had on the way home.

Now, seriously. No more froyo.

I’m taking this month and cutting out sugar, and eating so super clean it’s almost silly. One big cheat meal a week, probably on Saturday or Sunday. We’ve made a list of all the cheat meals we want to knock off the list. For serious. Cheat days are no joke.

Now some SERIOUS TALK.

Thoughts on the competition in general: CrossFit Thin Blue Line (thank you for hosting!) had a great Thanksgiving Throwdown, and it was good to see so many newbies competing with us. For many of us, it was our first competition, and for the most part, transitions were smooth and events were fairly scaled.

However, I had some issues with the group of judges and the head of the event in the third WOD. I had a judge while I was on the rower and for squats, went out for the run, came back because the running course wasn’t well marked (and to be fair, I’m not very good at following directions), and then went back out to do the run after getting more concrete directions from a judge. When I came back for the pushups, my judge pointed me towards another judge, who not only missed 7-10 of my pushups, but didn’t have his own stopwatch and had no idea what my finishing time was. Often, I would look up from my pushups (because he would stop counting) and he would be looking off somewhere in the distance and then look back down and start counting again. So not only was my time inaccurate (he had to take a wild guess based on the three minutes it took for him to find an “official” clock), but almost 10 of my reps weren’t counted. Not because I have bad form, but because my judge wasn’t looking.

This was disappointing. In the fourth workout, I thought it was literally insane that they would spray us with cold water hoses for a whole minute… IN THE FACE while we use the battle ropes. While it was 40 degrees outside. For some reason it crosses my mind that cold water is not safe out in the cold? Maybe that’s just common sense? The rest of the event isn’t so bad, but honestly the water just seemed unnecessary.

Rant over.

Are you a CrossFitter? Have you ever done a competition? What was your first experience like?
How was your weekend?!
Froyo or ice cream/other dessert?

@PamelaMKramer - A Renaissance Woman November 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Good job! Way to kill it.

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Congrats on your first competition!! I would prefer to do one with more of the lifting involved instead of ropes/water craziness. But you did it! Get it girl!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Congratulations! That is such a big accomplishment! I’m with you on the water – I would have DIED. I hate being cold. And being wet.

I plan out cheat days too – it’s an important thing! Who wants to waste a precious cheat meal? :)

Elizabeth November 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Girl, I would have killed whoever it was spraying me in the face with cold water. For serious. I know CrossFitters are supposed to be able to do anything at any time, but that’s just seems silly. There’s a point at which it becomes a bit ridiculous.

But ANYway…AWESOME! You got such good placings!! Oh and I am being a judge this weekend at a comp….so you KNOW I’m gonna kick ASS at it after reading about your judges. Lame.

PS. You’re a badass. I love your shoes. I got the purple and regret it…did you know purple goes with NOTHING?

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife November 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM

this competition seemed really hardcore. I don’t know if I could do WOD 3 and 4. Sounds crazy! Running 2 miles in the middle of a wod! woah now! Congrats on your second place though! That is awesomeeeeee! You did a great job!

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} November 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I can not imagine doing 4 WODs in one day. #3 looks especially tough after 2 WODs – ouch! NICE JOB! #getafterit

Sarah @ Run, Write, Conquer November 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Congratulations on your first competition and on your second place finish! My first competition was a strength-based one. Since I’d prefer to do a one rep max to a metcon any day, I was surprised when I came in first place for the crossfit WOD portion of the event. I even brought home a cute trophy! (My maxes were not so hot, though!) Keep up the great work, Katelyn!

Kelly ~ Leafy Not Beefy November 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Wow, that is intense! Congrats on doing so well!!! Though sorry for the incompetent/unorganized judges. What is the hunk of goodness in your froyo?

Kelly ~ Leafy Not Beefy November 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Wow, that is super intense! And water on your face…in the cold…?!! A huge congrats for doing it, and for doing so well! Sorry about the incompetent/unorganized judge! What is the hunk of goodness in your froyo? (looks like a brownie or fudge or something?)

Kierston November 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Congrats on your first competition!!! Wow! You did awesome!

I have not tried Crossfit b4.

Fro-yo…or gelato :)

Sarah November 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I think froyo is a very important food group. I see nothing wrong with having it twice in one day :)
Congrats on placing so well in your competition! I don’t know anything about crossfit but it seems wicked intense and I can’t imagine having a hose with cold water sprayed at me while I was doing something super physical. Actually, I can and I know for a fact I wouldn’t like it.

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 14, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Congrats on finishing your first competition and in 2nd place no less! Awesome! Sounds like it was a bit unorganized with the judging! I competed once at the Garage Games at CFNE and it was super well run! Judges were awesome and everyone was so professional! I think it just depends on each competition! That pinkberry looks awesome. Love that you are cutting out the sugar and I’m super curious to hear your thoughts!

Siobhan McCarthy.ca November 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Congrats on placing first, second and third in your division! That’s amazing! But that water in the face?! Really not necessary.

I do CrossFit but I’m not competitive with it. And I’m a fro-yo girl! But I will never turn down baked treats and pastries!

Belle @ Rebelle Fitness November 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Great job on the competition Katelyn! You should be sooo proud!! Although, I haven’t competed, I have judged competitions before and I feel your pain with poor tactics, etc. Some judges get it, others are in la-la-land. So lame :( but it looks like you powered through and still kicked butt. well done lady! on to regionals :)

clare @ fittingitallin November 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM

YOU KICK ASS!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean November 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM

you rocked it girl! you’re awesome!

Jane T. November 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM

fantastic job competing! so awesome:)

i have that coffee from dunkin (the peppermint mocha one)… i bought it last week and it’s already almost gone. i’m an addict. SO GOOD

Melissa Kirkham November 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Wow, you are a total badass!!! Thanks for sharing the good & bad – cold water in the face?!? Effffff, I don’t think I could take it. Congratulations on placing, you did amazing.

ps I am now headed out for fro-yo with a stop for coffee along the way. Thank you very much ;)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner November 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I’m so sorry about your judge not watching you. That is so annoying. :( It’s sad that you would have to take the dirt for something that wasn’t your fault. You did the work, you made the effort, and then someone turns around and doesn’t respect you enough to watch you and keep count on how many push-ups you do. Great job on your competition though! I know you did your best, and that’s all anyone would ever ask. :)

Rachel November 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Congrats on your first competition that’s awesome! I’m new to your blog (found it like 3 hours ago and i’m already going crazy reading all the posts), so i don’t know if you’ve posted about this but how did you get into your first competition? Do you plan on doing more in the future? I was on my high school rowing team for two years and now i’ve decided that the fall season that just ended was my last. I love Crossfit but i still want that competition with others. How does one get involved in competitions? Thanks! (Sorry for all the questions, i just love hearing other peoples experiences with Crossfit)