Intro: Why + How I’m Changing my Training

by Katelyn Block on November 27, 2012 · 38 comments

Howdy! How’s everyone doing?

I just wanted to quick catch you guys up on a few changes I’m making in my life and why.

This is me right now. I like my body. I love my body. But I’d like to build more muscle (a lot more) and cut down on my body fat. I haven’t done any measurements for body fat percentage, but I know from previous years that I can build a heck of a lot more muscle. And I’d like to do that. I’m hovering at a healthy body weight right now, which I want to keep (or raise…. who knows), but I know that some of my body fat can be changed into pure, unadulterated muscle. I’d like to be stronger. The ultimate goal.

So, how do you get stronger? Eating well and lifting heavy.

I’ve been focusing more on getting plenty of healthy fats in my diet to lower my body fat (sounds counterintuitive, doesn’t it? let’s talk more about that), and adequate protein to maintain muscle and hopefully build more. These are what I focus on.

I’m also focusing on lifting heavy. Not only lifting heavy often, but doing fast, intense, metabolic conditioning, usually less than 20 minutes long.

Why so short? Because the shorter, more intense the workout, the more conditioned my nervous system and muscle fibers will become. In this short time frame, my body is trained to burn fat, not muscle. Additionally, with shorter intervals, my body becomes more conditioned without losing strength. Longer, less intense workouts would deplete muscle, and therefore, strength.

Like this guy. He’s got serious balls.

I want to stay strong. This cycle/season of CrossFit is the time that we start to focus less on strength training and more on metabolic conditioning and gymnastics. Until the beginning of December and the new year, we focus on lifting heavy and building strength, not necessarily on being fast. At the end of the cycle, we begin a new one where metabolic conditioning and gymnastics take precedence. That strength is maintained by lifting regularly, but we cut down on body fat and improve speed by performing fast cycles of gymnastics and barbell movements.

Some parts of BroScience have it right. Build build build, then cut down before competition season. By the CrossFit Open, we want to be strong and fast. As Clare once said to me, “You have to build a mountain before you can break it down.”

Fact. I’ve been building strength and hitting PR’s regularly, and it’s almost time to start winding down and performing more workouts and more conditioning. The CrossFit Open begins at the end of February. I’m stinkin’ excited and just ready to be part of something worldwide.

With that being said, I’m getting my CrossFit Level 1 Certification this weekend and I couldn’t be more happy and excited to finally get the knowledge I’ve been waiting for. Not only because I want to be a coach, but because I want to be a better athlete. It’s all about keeping the end goal in mind.

This book and my diet — we’ll talk about more in depth next time. I figured breaking some of this into multiple posts would help a little bit! Goodnight all! xoxo

Have you ever made a conscious choice in your training to meet a goal?
How was your Thanksgiving weekend?
Share your tips on how to beat a case of the Monday’s!

Candice November 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Sounds like a great plan! go for it girl! keep your nutrition in check and you can reach your goal!xoxo

Tamara November 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Love this plan! I’m very interested in what you’re doing; you and I have a fairly similar physique and I’m trying to build and cut too!

Joanna @ Running Places November 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Yes PLEASE talk more about eating healthy fat to lose fat/stay healthy. My Mom loves to eat healthy but is a die hard low fat/ fat free person. She just can’t get out of this mindset. She was harping at me over walnut beet pate having a lot of fat in it today. I was like, Mom, they’re WALNUTS! It’s GOOD fat!!

And good luck with your goals and changes! I look forward to following along :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I focusing on bulking and heavy lifting right now… my post today is addressing my strategy. I do have healthy fats, but in order to gain I’m also adding more complex carbs. Can’t wait to hear more about what you’re doing! And congrats on the certification!!!

Mindy November 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM

So excited for you on getting certified! The course is so useful and beneficial to you as an athlete and coach. I would do it all over again if I had the chance…. (well I will in 5 more years ;-)) You will without a doubt fall in love with the sport even more than you are now. GOOD LUCK!

As far as your training, I think it’s good that you’re focusing on leaning out and getting faster. Met con is definitely something I need to work on especially when I know the strength is there. At the end of the day, you know what your goals are and what you need to do to get there. We all have different goals and different strategies, we just got to do them :) I’m looking forward to following your training journey and hopefully I will start recapping my Crossfit workouts, too.

Sarah Kay Hoffman November 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Love this….I’ve been doing this for several months now. With consistency you’ll be amazed at what can happen:)

Miz November 28, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Im so weird as I LOVE MONDAYS :-)
and consistency.

xoxox

Angela @ happy fit mama November 28, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Good luck! I think you are on the right path. I just started reading that book too. It’s very interesting so far!

Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness November 28, 2012 at 5:51 AM

I have definitely tweaked training to meet a goal. In fact I did just that starting last week when I decided to transition from a stability running shoe to natural running. My Thanksgiving was amazing!

I’ll be watching for your post on It Starts With Food.

misszippy November 28, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Having a solid plan like this is always the best way to achieve a goal. Good for you. You already look amazing, so I can only imagine the end result!

HollieisFueledByLOLZ November 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Love this and I love how much you have made your body into a muscle machine. What means I don’t even know LOL.

Jenna November 28, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I enjoy your dedication and drive!!! I, too, have a goal of losing body fat while keeping strength. What are your thoughts on fasted cardio? I’ve been experimenting with it for the past 2 weeks. It’s still too early to provide an opinion, but i’ve heard a lot of controversial views on the topic.

Caroline November 28, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Sounds like a good plan! I love how motivated your are

LeeLee November 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM

All of this makes me smile KB! I am so happy you are doing whatever the hell you want. :) You are lookin fab and happy. I like.

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Sounds perfect Katelyn! I’m with you on the training. I’ve been working on my met cons as well lately and gymnastics because that’s where my weaknesses lie. I am in love with the whole 9 book too. Couldn’t put it down when I got it. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts and how you’re tackling nutrition!

Debbie @ Live from La Quinta November 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM

You have some great goals! I look forward to reading about your experience with your cross fit certification as well as seeing the changes in training. Good luck!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans November 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I would love to hear more about what you’re doing for this plan! It sounds great and I’m hoping to do something similar so I would love to hear the details!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Love this! Look forward to hearing how things progress for you. I definitely found that going through my NASM training has made me a better “athlete” as well and I’ve seen significant improvements in my body but also noticed what isn’t working and therefore what I need to do more of (hello flexibility training!)

Kaitlin November 28, 2012 at 9:49 AM

girl you’re lookin FIIIINE. gorgeous and strong! you inspire this cardio-junkie to pick up something heavy every once in a while :)

Katelyn Block November 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Haha YESSSS that makes me so happy! Lifting heavy things is FUN. I definitely encourage it wholeheartedly. ;)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM

You’re going to be such a fantastic cross fit coach!! :)

clare @ fittingitallin November 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM

congrats girl! You’re going to kill it.
and you look SMOKIN.

Karli November 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Good luck at your L1 cert! You’ll come back and want to work on EVERYTHING you learned…I spent a week strictly working on my air squat after it, hahaha. SO great!

Shoshana @ ShoDelicious November 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Awesome! I’m quite the opposite and maybe I’ll write a post about it too. I’ve got loads of muscle and would be happy without so much of it. My goal now is to lose body fat as well while maintaining my muscle but I have no interest in getting stronger or competing in the open (even though I’m an avid CrossFitter). I’m excited to watch your journey! good luck!

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer November 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Have fun at the cert! I’m still on the weight loss portion of my journey, but I have been trying to get stronger. My goal is to be able to RX weights (so close!) on most workouts. Body weight movements are my weakness now, but I’m working on it. Tips appreciated!

Kierston November 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I’m excited for you and this new training. Looking forward to reading on how you are liking this change :)

Robin Senne November 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Katelyn! Your blog is so inspirational!
I enjoy, ok Love, the recipes and every time I read about your crossfit experiences it makes me want to try it even more! I’m proud of your decision on gaining muscle. That’s the current routine I’m on at the moment. For me it’s been difficult because my body just will not gain the weight! I’m up to 4,000 calories intake a day and I’m finally seeing results! I hope for the best for you and I cannot wait to see your results! :)
-Robin Senne

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf November 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I’m excited for you to get your certification and for your plan. I’ve been super curious about It Starts With Food and have heard great things about it. Can’t wait to hear more.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail November 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

1. I currently live in my CrossFit 1/4 sip–it rocks. 2. Stay after it and keep pushing yourself. That’s the fun of CrossFit, constantly varied, seeing big improvements. Happy for you! And, very jealous of your cert!! That’s on my bucket list!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Congrats on your cert!!
I just got that book in the mail the other day. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

Rachel November 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Are you not following the usual WOD? I’d love to know because i’m feeling the same sort of thing. I’d love to start building more muscle. I’m curious about your diet, etc. But smart decision, i like how you acknowledge that you want improvement without tearing yourself down.

Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters November 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

It’s awesome to read that you are going after a goal! You’ve come very far into loving your body and there’s no doubt that you will reach your goals of building more muscle. You go gurl.

As for me, Thanksgiving was great- but now I’m super homesick and missing my family like crazy… seriously counting down the days until Christmas break! I beat the case of the Mondays by making plans for something special in the middle or end of the week, that at least there is something to look forward to!

Natalie @ freshlifefindings November 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Love this post! You look fabulous by the way and I’m with you on the training. I started focusing on more weight and clean eating this summer and noticed a big difference in my body shape and strength. Looking forward to your posts on it!

This Fit Chick November 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Excited for you!! Getting a cert is awesome and such a great accomplishment.

anne@lovemintchocolatechip November 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

good for you! i am so impressed :)

Robyn @thereallife_rd November 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM

seriously you could totally beat me up. this cardio queen could definitely use some more weight in my life- my twice weekly yoga sessions are so not cutting it. so inspiring!

a good sweat and cup of coffee always gets my good going on a Monday..but then again I sometimes think sweat can cure just about anything :)

good luck on finals!

Meredith @ DareYouTo December 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Excellent. I’m right there with ya! Great post.