{Tough Love}: Excuses + Omega-3′s in Organic Eggs?

by Katelyn Block on December 9, 2012 · 13 comments

Hey there friends! How are ya?

It’s snowing!

I went to bed around 11:30 last night and woke up at 12:30 today. Which is a long time to sleep, but dang, it felt good. I’m convinced I’m still catching up on shut-eye from last weekend at my coach’s cert.

WHICH, by the way….. I passed!!!!! You are looking at a CrossFit Level 1 trainer. Woohoo! I’ve already begun to put my skills to good use by helping people at the gym who look confused. It’s so satisfying to take someone from not being able to squat, to being able to do it easily. Ah, the little joys.

Other little joys:

Trader Joe’s organic, fair trade breakfast blend. I swear it’s so good I don’t even think about putting stevia or milk in it. It has so many mind-blowing awesome flavors. Makes me way happy.

I had it this morning with bacon and sunny-side-up eggs. Love the runny yolks!

Omega-3′s in my eggs…. what?

I have to say though, one thing I’m kind of confused about is the omega-3 content of the eggs I bought yesterday. Typically, at Wegman’s, I buy the local “happy hen” eggs that they keep in a small cooler in the organic section. When I went to buy them, the cooler was filled instead with Organic Valley and Wegman’s Brand organic butter, and I was able to find organic eggs in the regular egg cooler. Which, first of all, was kind of strange. I was okay with buying the organic, cage-free Wegman’s brand eggs, until I came home and noticed that there was a label on the eggs reading “Contains — mg of Omega-3 fatty acids per egg!”. And I thought to myself… how the heck do you get omega-3 fatty acids (a MEASURABLE amount, at that), inside of an egg and still call it organic?

Honestly, I’m kind of confused, and kind of grossed out by the fact that I could taste the omega-3′s in the eggs. I’d be curious to hear if any of you have any input into this topic and/or are equally grossed out. I’m resisting returning them and getting the more expensive, less omega-3-doped-up eggs from the natural foods store. They just taste plain weird.

Tough Love

On another note, yesterday’s Invictus workout was awesome and equally painful.

Photo via WODTalk on Instagram

Oh, yeah. Dat be nasty.

The first round of back squats, I was able to do unbroken. The second round (front squats), I had to drop the bar and come back to it a few times.

I’m feeling it today, mainly in my lower back (clearly, once I got tired, the shoulder-to-overheads started to lack in good form), but I’m just happy that I did the workout. Lately, I’ve been making excuses. And guess what, people. Excuses are dumb.

I made excuses that I was smoked from the week (this muscle or that muscle).
I made excuses that I was getting over an illness.
I made excuses that I didn’t want to rip my hands again.
I made excuses that I ate way too big a brunch and would pukie if I worked out right this second.

I hate excuses so much. They just feel dirty when they come out of your mouth.

Since there was a group of about eight of us doing the workout, I swallowed my pride and did the workout. I was the last to finish, but I finished, and that’s all that matters. I did rip my hands again, but like I said. No more excuses. Wrap the hand, suck it up. That’s tough love I need to keep giving myself.

Study Time

Today I’m spending the better part of the day studying, recovery-fueling, and working on blog things. On the list of things that make me really happy, blogging is right at the top. I’ve been stressed lately, and coming back to this place and writing is the best outlet.

Love you guys! Look out for a post more in-depth into my diet and why I’m making changes.

xo,
KB

How was your weekend?
What’s your favorite morning coffee?! (or tea!)
How did you #sweatdirty this weekend?

Susie December 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Eggs labeled omega-3 are generally fed a diet fortified with omega-3s, often from whole flaxseed or fish oil. Organic egg certification just means that hens are fed organic feed; criteria for living conditions aren’t meaningful other than requiring “access” to outside (which isn’t specified–and thus can be fulfilled by as little as a door leading outside). Sources of omega-3 fatty acids can therefore be added to feed without negating this organic claim for certification.

I study agriculture, and labels can definitely be confusing! If you’re concerned with the production methods behind your food (and we all should be–so many implications for public health, environmental conditions, and so on), go to a farmers’ market and chat with your farmers–even better, take some time to visit the farm you’re supporting. And with regards to the omega-3 claim? While I don’t eat eggs myself, I am inclined to say that you’re better off consuming primary sources of omega-3s yourself (eating ground flax or fish, for example).

Mindy December 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Ouch that does seem like a dirty workout! Do you kip or use a band? I just got my kip Tuesday… I need to practice, practice, practice. I feel ya on the excuses- I just recently told someone the reason why I go to Crossfit 3x a week instead of 5x a week like a pay for is beside my body performs better when it rests when in reality I was just being lazy. So this week I went 5x and I felt great (obviously because I got my first kip) and I didn’t die. I was just making it an excuse to not go on the other two days, but since I used the weekend as my ready days, I feel ready ad energized for another week! Another 5x a week at that ;-) Loving your WOD recaps lately and I never mind seeing /hearing what you been stuffing ya face with!

KT December 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Not to be totally creepy, but it’s weird that it is snowing by you and not by me…I live off of Westcott! I’ve lurked for awhile and that picture made me come out of my hiding place :)

Katelyn Block December 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Hehe, I’ll let you in on my little secret — this is a picture from a few days ago that I ganked! I only wish it was so beautiful out right now… it’s totally dark and gloomy!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I’m a little weirded out by the omega-3s but even more weirded out that you could TASTE them which means they must have been in really high amount. Weird…kinda gross…but definitely weird.

And as for my sweat dirty this weekend, I just got home from a chest/triceps lifting + x-training session at the gym. Tomorrow I’ve got a big run planned so it was definitely nice to take it a bit easier today.

Shel@PeachyPalate December 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Because they organic they are fed a diet high in omega’s…typically flaxseed, sometimes seaweed!

Congratulations! December 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM

The certification passage means you are CERTIFIED CROSSFIT LEVEL ONE Trainer. Whereas anyone else who took the training can only refer to themselves as having completed the Crossfit Level One training.

As it goes for certifications, you can judge your own training by the exam. When I passed one Certification Exam years ago with a 21 page written exam and an additional one on one practical — it was so hard that I felt good to earn and wear the designation “Certified”. I also did another certification before that in the same fitness style but I missed one on the exam and the practical
was wishy washy. I did that one just to start teaching and prepare for the one with the mega training’/exam/practical.

Consider Level 1 a place to build from. What is required to maintain Continuing Education credits? Fees? Some certifications don’t require CEC’s from you in the first year.

Sarah December 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I always make excuses too. It’s really hard, but in the end you’re only lying to yourself. Aka what I’ve been doing for the past 3 days instead of using my reading period productively. Hopefully my grades don’t reflect that… oops. Use that cross fit to keep you going though! Congrats on the certification… that’s HUGE!!!

GiGi Eats Celebrities December 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

OMG HOW WEIRD! I just had omega-3 enriched eggs this AM and didn’t taste the “omega”… What ever that is supposed to taste like, lol!!!

I love when it starts snowing and I am in doors, in my PJs, with candles lit, drinking some hot tea! Best feeling EVER! :) The holidays are obviously near!

And CONGRATS on your level one certification!!!! ROCK STAR! Now you can kick some other people’s BOOTIES!

NYC FIt Girl December 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Congrats on finishing. My weekend was great! Went out with my boyfriend Saturday night and went on a nice 4 mile run on Saturday. Today I relaxed and watched lots of vampire dairies episodes!

Molly @ Happy&Healthy December 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Dang, that WOD looks so hard, congrats on finishing! Good luck studying, I have finals this week as well, so I feel your pain.

Sandra Laflamme December 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Hi Katelyn,
First congratulations on becoming a level 1 CrossFit trainer. You must be psyched. Secondly I can help you out a little bit with the egg issue. Our family owns Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs and yes, our eggs too contain Omega-3′s. Our hens are fed certified organic flaxseed, which contains high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids. The Omega-3 in the hen’s diet is passed on to their egg. Our eggs contain approximately 200mg of Omega-3 per egg. You should try our organic eggs if you can find them as we do not find that they have an odd taste. If the hens have been fed too much flaxseed then the eggs can end up with a somewhat fishy taste which is no good. If you are able to find our eggs I will even send you some e-coupons if you send me an e-mail. I hope that this information helps and to find out more you can check out our website http://www.peteandgerrys.com.

Congrats again from one fellow FitFluential to another.

Lindsay's List December 10, 2012 at 8:17 AM