{Blast It}: Stress-Busting Playlist

by Katelyn Block on December 11, 2012 · 24 comments

So today was my first final exam and I’m harboring a pretty bad case of ADD.

It’s usually pretty bad, but today is just silly. It’s like. Dyslexia met my inability to concentrate. Both a blessing and a curse.

It makes CrossFit perfect because I end up practicing a thousand different skills every time I go to train, but makes schoolwork seriously difficult. Sitting in one spot and reading something that’s not about food or being buff? Answering questions with numbers in them? What?? Who does that!?

Yesterday I was feeling really funny and told everyone about it. “Guys, I feel funny.” I barely ate anything the first half of the day, and had one cup of coffee and couldn’t drink anymore. Which is fine. But unusual. I felt like my heart was about to beat out of my chest all day, coupled with the inability to eat anything. I think that’s called stress? Clearly I’m don’t do that much.

HOW I DEAL WITH IT: Sitting in my car for 15 straight minutes, blasting angry rock and rap music and singing at the top of my lungs.

My poor neighbors.

So, behold. My angry stress-busting playlist. Ironically, this is also one of my best workout jams. Enjoy.

What are some of your favorite workout songs?
CrossFitters: WOD music? I like heavy metal when I’m lifting, and RapSeriousness when I’m doing conditioning.

Sarah December 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Girl, you listen to some pretty intense music! No wonder why you’re beastin’ those crossfit workouts these days!

Sarah @ A Runners Heart December 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Nice playlist! I pinned that so I can get back to it later! I have Smooth Criminal on mine too, but none of the others! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Love it!!! I need to download some new tunes and the more “hard core” stuff is what inspires me to lift heavier. Have you heard Spider Bait’s version of Black Betty? It’s my power song.

Kacie Phillips December 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Okay. So, I literally have all of these on my workout playlist. We’re twins. Meant to be. That is all.

hillary | nutrition nut on the run December 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I love your playlists… not only the adorable graphics, but more so the ghetto tunes. Kind of ironic if you think about it, hehe. Anyway, I actually get a lot of my WOD music from your Spotify p-lists – thanks!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food December 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Totally forgot about Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm! Definitely a good one!

Miz December 12, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Im always always hip hop :-)
always :)

Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness December 12, 2012 at 4:58 AM

I see a lot of songs already on my playlist and some that are new to me. Adding a few to my playlist :)

Meg December 12, 2012 at 6:23 AM

thanks for the playlist! I love getting new tunes :) good luck on your final lovie

Meredith @ Dare You To December 12, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Oh mannn I need this, too. Thanks! Good luck on the rest of your finals

Christine @ Love, Life, Surf December 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM

I’ve been looking for new workout music. Thanks for this! Yes, good luck with finals.

Madeline @ Food Fit and Fam December 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Haha awesome play list!

Heather December 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

love it! I like anything with an upbeat-beat that makes me move faster!

Elizabeth December 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

This looks JUST like my playlist, but I like to add in some intense dubstep during intense metcons, and also a little more Indie!

Erin December 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

YES Thrift Shop is my jam right now. Love it. I’m like you and always go for rap and heavy metal when I workout hard. I know a friend who listens to mellow indie music when she workouts and I just can’t understand that.

Brad Gouthro December 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Where’s Brian McKnight, Boyz II Men, and Backstreet Boys? :|

Katelyn Block December 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Ugh you caught me :/ How could I miss my Backstreet Boys?!

She Rocks Fitness December 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

UGH I do not like that feeling of your heart beating out of your chest. Stress and too much coffee will do that to you! ACDC’s Hell’s Bells is a absolute favorite of mine. Have a great day! :)

GiGi Eats Celebrities December 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM

This may sound odd but I actually cannot listen to music when I work out. I need absolute silence. I even hate when others come into the gym when I am working out. Their grunting, loud music, movement… Drives me crazy! WOW – I am soooooo weird, LOL!!! I especially hate when they turn on the TV crazy loud… Without even asking, are you kidding me? Okay, I am going to stop sounding like a CRAZYYYYYYYY – by shutting up now, lol! Silence ;)

Pamela Hernandez December 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Lose Yourself does it for me every time! Thanks for sharing this list. :)

Purely Twins December 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

awesome playlists!!

Kelly December 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I just saw your playlist on Pinterest and was amazed to see Macklemore on your list. Love this song!