{It’s All About Balance}: Veggies + Cookies

by Katelyn Block on December 12, 2012 · 19 comments

Hi, guys! So, guess what. I’m trying out this thing where I’m eating more vegetables. I think it’s kinda working.

For awhile I wasn’t eating much in the way of vegetables (too much effort, too much crunchatizing, doesn’t taste at all like cookies), and focusing more on my protein and fat intake. Which is fine, but I started to overdo it on the meat and fats. If that’s even possible.

So, salads are back in my life.

I made brussels sprouts the other night, too, and those lasted a total of 1.5 days. I even had them with breakfast today. Can you believe?

Since I want to lean out, I figured adding more veggie nutrients to my diet would be a good thing. It feels awesome to have more FRESH veggies in my diet. Lately I’ve been loving mixed green salads with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, green bell peppers, cucumbers, baby carrots…. definitely more of the “milder” vegetables. I dig some Wegman’s steam-bag organic broccoli and green beans as well.

But where there are vegetables, there must be chocolate.

Chip cookies.

I made this recipe, but went half coconut flour, half almond flour. I had to add an extra egg and at least a half cup of coconut-almond blend milk. I baked them for 12 minutes and they turned out perfect! Incredibly gooey on the inside. My favorite.

So I am FINALLY free of school, I completed my last final exams today and am SO HAPPY to be done! The feeling of relief is unreal. Waking up tomorrow morning with only responsibilities of blogging, CrossFit, design, and planning out the next six months will be the best feeling in the world.

xo,
KB

How has your week been so far?
Do you keep thinking it’s Thursday like I do?
What’s your favorite type of cookie? (I have ideas rolling around in my head..)

Sarah @PickyRunner December 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Veggies AND cookies? A girl after my own heart :)
Yay for being done with finals!!

Molly@happy&healthy December 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM

That salad sounds exactly what I used to make everyday! But I went overboard with veggies and now it takes effort to get them back in my diet…hello green smoothies! Congrats in being done, it’s a wonderful life ha

Miz December 13, 2012 at 5:25 AM

IM SO GLAD IT IS FINALLY THURSDAY :-)
and we are like you up in herre, too.
balance balance balance.

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness December 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Yay for being done with school! Congrats! I’m always trying to up my veggie intake! I love my proteins and fats (and cookies!) but veggies not so much! I’m always working on it!

Natalie @ freshlifefindings December 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Yum those cookies look Delish! And I had Brussels sprouts for dinner last night and having them for lunch too, trying to add extra veggies at every meal. Breakfast is harder for me too unless its an omelette. :)

Ariel December 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM

HALLELUJAH PRAISE GOD WE’RE DONE. Doesn’t it feel way too good? ;)

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige December 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I find I often ebb and flow with veggies, too. Sometimes I’ll have them at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and other days I’ll look back and realize the only veggie I had was a sweet potato with dinner. Woops!

Elle December 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Nice to have the exams over with.

I will be baking these cookies – thanks for sharing. I made up some with almond meal and flax but they are not the ‘cookie’ my husband was expecting… perhaps yours with the coconut flour will be more appealing to him. They do look really good.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run December 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I am so happy about this post several reasons. First off, congrats of finishing up the semester! I remember how GREAT that feels! Second, yay for veggies. I think my daily mission in life is to balance my veggies with my dark chocolate ;)

What are you up to over break? I can’t wait for more Chef Katelyn posts and CF talk! xoxo

Grether @ College&Cardio December 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Congrats on finishing up with school! I still have 3 more days of torture :( Gotta push through! I’ve been listening to your WOD Killa playlist recently to kill my papers!

xoxo, Grether

Sarah Jane @Fit Betty December 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I can completely relate to the whole focusing on proteins and fats and not enough on veggies, I do that a lot! I always need help in the vegetable department : )

Mary @ Lost After Losing December 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I’m DETERMINED to make those cookies tonight. Do you know if coconut flour is available at Wegs? (I’m from CNY too, and I share your love affair with all things Wegmans.)

Lisa December 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM

The cookies look yummy…. and the salad does too! I’m working on getting more veggies too–for a while I was just buying green juice everyday and not feeling bad if I didn’t eat any veg somedays… But I do think there’s a place for both fat/protein foods and veg!

Glad you’re done with finals—must feel great!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans December 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Veggies and cookies are some of the best things in life. Hooray on being done with exams! I just finished on Wednesday too and it feels so good to be FREE. Enjoy your break!

Molly@This Life Is Sparkling December 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Yay for school being out! I finished my last final yesterday so I’m excited to have a little break for a month.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I’m all about veggies + cookies. It’s PERFECT! :)

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut December 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I just finished finals on Friday and I felt like a free woman!! Yay for more blogging time and more LIFE!! <3

Hallie December 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Hey Katelyn! I’ve been stalking your blog for the last few months and have been reading a ton about your Crossfit workouts. They sound awesome and I really want to start soon! I’m an avid runner and work out weekly, but sometimes I don’t feel like I’m ready to start Crossfit…I can’t even do a pull-up without assistance. Any advice on how a newbie should start Crossfit or should I keep working out on my own until I get a bit stronger? Thanks soo much!!
btw I’m 15, do you think thats too young?