BIG NEWS.

by Katelyn Block on December 17, 2012 · 60 comments

And I choose the picture with sunshine, because it SCREAMS “happiness”.

Hey guys! I’m such a tease. For months and months I’ve been talking about this opportunity, that opportunity, and the possibility of taking one semester off, taking a year off, going part time.

Well, it’s finally hit me. I need to take time off. It’s so simple and been staring at me in the face, but I haven’t taken the bait.

Until now.

On Wednesday, I took my last final exams. Leaving my last exam, I had the feeling of such pure happiness, I can’t even begin to express. I felt happy. I felt FREE.

For months, I felt chained by classes I loathed, assignments and projects that stressed me out more than they would ever play a positive role in my growth and learning.

I’m going to get flack. And that’s fine. But I am so incredibly and deeply happy that I have decided to take the spring semester off.

To figure out what it is I want to do with this thing called “life”. To fuel passion. To find utter, pure happiness and inspiration. To be at peace.

There are a lot of things I’ve learned in these short years I’ve been making both good and confusing decisions. And one of them is this.

Life is too short to do something you hate.

Life is too short to wake up every day and not be excited to start a new adventure.

Every day should feel like a new adventure. Every day should be happy. Filled with love. Inspiration. Joy. Passion. Excitement. The feeling of rolling with the punches and letting life be completely and 100% under your control, while still surrendering yourself to what each moment has to offer.

I know not everyone will agree with me. Many of you will. But what I know is that this feels right. And right now, I’m looking forward to the next six months to a year of finding that spark. That happiness. That joy. The snowball effect of everything you love turning into something even bigger and better every time, without even realizing what’s happening.

I found that last winter break. I found that this summer. And I’m here to find it again.

I’ve moved into another apartment in Syracuse, and I couldn’t be happier. The stress of moving was crazy, but to be honest, it was kind of fun to take multiple trips across town, seeing what I could fit in my car, and figuring out how few cooking utensils I could survive with in order to make an omelette.

I’m stubborn and had to sleep in the new apartment last night. I started moving in yesterday. What can I say, I’m a sucker for bigger (and better) beds.

Plus, Technogel pillows just feel so much more awesome on a bed I can spread myself out on. Can’t wait to indulge you in some more info on that pillow and fun selfies where I pretend to be asleep but am totally and utterly content.

I love you guys. Life is a constant journey. If something doesn’t feel right, it’s not. If something feels beautiful and makes you happy in ways you can’t explain; it’s probably right.

xo,
KB

p.s. Have a look at this awesome article Claire wrote about CrossFit! Hmmm I recognize a name in there somewhere… ;)

Katie December 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Katelyn! That is such big and exciting news!! I did the same thing at your age and eventually went back to school. But you have to go for YOU and you have to find what you LOVE.

You seem to have a lot of passions and passion for life. Embrace that! Enjoy the moment and look forward.

You’ll be great and do fabulously no matter what you choose.

Katelyn Block December 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Thank you!!! Ugh. SO much passion for life. I’ve been told it’s contagious. ;)

Sarah December 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Congratulations! I’m happy for you! You seem to be sure that this is what you want and that’s what’s most important!! I’m sure you’re going to make it work for yourself and do what you need to do :)

Katelyn Block December 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

:) Thank you girlfriend!!

Kasey@powercakes.net December 17, 2012 at 11:05 PM

GIRLLLLL <3 we are meant to be. I graduated in may with a health & PE degree but jumped right into learning how to start my own business. after 5 months of hard work while working a long term sub job, I am finally moving forward with my business! There is no better time to take this leap! For both of us. Let's do it together <3 LOVE YOU!

Katelyn Block December 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Omg we MUST Skype chat! It’s all about love, hard work, and the inability to let anyone EVER tell you that “you can’t”! Love you so much. We’re all in this together. <3

Elisabeth @ CHAARG December 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM

YAY you know that makes me excited :) as of a few days ago we have an extra room in our apartment……………you are welcome to stay here any time you come to cbus !!

Katelyn Block December 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Smileeeeeey faces over here! You know I’m going to be coming to Columbus a lot more often! ;)

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer December 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

SO happy for you girl. Time to breathe. explore. and lift. we all know what’s going on… you’re planning on going to regionals…. and then the games. ha.

Katelyn Block December 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I literally just laughed out loud because you SO understand me! HAHA. Girl I WISH I were ready for Regionals this year, but you can count on one thing: I WILL be there in 2014. <3

Courtney December 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Congrats! Enjoy this time in life! It’s always best to follow your gut/heart :) I went to school for marketing and my passion has now transitioned to fitness – things change – go with it!

Katelyn Block December 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM

So funny how that happens, right?! Best of luck to you as well lady!!

Kasandra Raux December 17, 2012 at 11:26 PM

That is big news!!! Good luck!! You are going to do great!! You’re young, tons of time to figure out what will make you tick. Take it from me… it took me 4 years post college graduation. But now I am happy. And I know you will be too!

Katelyn Block December 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Thank you!! It’s incredible how long (or short) the journey can be, but I know that every second will be beautiful. xo!

GiGi Eats Celebrities December 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM

What an AMAZING feeling… Knowing you DON’T have to go to school in the spring! :) Does this mean you won’t go back to school until next FALL or will you do SUMMER classes instead? I finished college in 4.5 years and it was kind of AWESOME that I did that because, well, I didn’t stress as much and I really was able to get everything squared away for my move to Los Angeles! I cannot believe I have already been in LA for two years!! Nuts!! I literally graduated from college two years ago, OMG! Time totally flies and lets just say, I don’t miss COLLEGE AT ALL!!! Can’t wait to hear what you discover in the spring about what you might want to do with your life :)

Katelyn Block December 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Haven’t decided yet! Seeing how it goes, day by day, week by week, month by month :) I’ve realized that your gut instinct is usually right. We’ll see where that leads me!

This Fit Chick December 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM

SO PROUD Of you for going after your heart and your dreams! I have no doubt that this semester off will be nothing but a rewarding adventure :)

Katelyn Block December 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Thanks girlfriend!!! I sure hope so!

Lisa December 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Way to go! I’m proud you are going to get out in the world and figure out your passions and dreams. You’re still young, so you have time for sure! I’m 22 and still don’t know what I want for the future. That’s why we need to test out all our possibilities, to find the right fit. I hated school, got out of it and am much happier now! You can do anything you put your mind to! Wishing you the best luck!

Katelyn Block December 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Thank you! It’s so true, taking the time to explore what you love most is absolutely important. Props for finding what’s right for you!

Jacqueline December 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I found myself nodding my head in agreement throughout this whole post. Especially the “life’s too short to do something you hate” line.
You are such an inspiration!!

Katelyn Block December 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Thank you!!

Alex Bridgeforth (@alexbridgeforth) December 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Congrats! Glad you were able to make this decision. Honestly, I felt the same way when I was out on the trail after I pushed through the worst dark place I’ve ever been in. I knew I wanted to be there. I wanted to just be out running and seeing how far I could push my body.

Katelyn Block December 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Haha thank you.

Jenna K December 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM

So happy for you!!! I graduated college a year ago, feeling slightly unsure about exactly how I wanted to make my future happen. And I have learned more about that in the past couple months than I did during all my searching in college. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and give yourself some distance before you can see everything as clearly as you need to and weigh all the many different angles. And so now I’m taking steps towards a second bachelor’s degree, in nursing, for if my med school applications don’t end up panning out. You’ll find your way, and you’ll be glad you didn’t waste time finishing school then taking a break then having to go back to school. Happy for you!!

Jenna K December 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Ps we’re shoe twins! :)

Danielle December 18, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Congratulations, Katelyn! I remember chatting with you about not being sure about the future so I commend you for following something that feels so right. Best of luck, darling! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Good for you! i wish I’d taken some time to breathe and figure out where I was headed while I was in school.

Cute shoes, btw! :)

MizFit December 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM

That should be our life mantra. Life is, indeed, too short to do something we hate.

Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) December 18, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Enjoy the free time and the new apartment!

Alyson @ AlysonBoyd.com December 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Congratulations! I always love moving into new places (which is good because I tend to do it a lot, haha), because it always feels like a fresh start, no matter what’s going in your life. I’m a big believer in following your heart.. as you said.. life is absolutely too short!

Betsy December 18, 2012 at 8:49 AM

You sound very happy! Enjoy the time to yourself!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness December 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM

So excited for you Katelyn! I think this is such a great decision for you. I’m in the process of moving forward with my own business too and while it is so scary it couldn’t be more exciting either! So awesome to hear this! Can’t wait to follow you along on your journey!

Kelly@LeafynotBeefy December 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Way to go – I don’t think there is anything wrong with taking some time to decide what you want to do in life – it makes complete sense on many levels to me! I know you’ll find your passion and be able to implement it – you’ve got such drive and determination that comes through your posts :)

Shannon Colavecchio December 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM

YES! Huge fist bump to you for being true to you! You will never regret having taken this time for you! :) xo

christina December 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM

YAY!! I am happy you’ve made such a big, bold decision. You are so right about life being too short not to be happy, and if it’s something you can change, GO FOR IT. I support you all the way down in SC!!! : ) PS, I totally just googled technogel pillows. Do I need one? FOUR? XO LOVES YOU

Chivon December 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I can feel your happiness and passion through this post! I completely agree that life is too short to not spend it doing the things that we love!

Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian December 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Congratulations Katelyn on the big step. Sometimes we have to step away from a situation to gain some perspective before moving forward. My sister took a whole year off school, gained her perspective, and is now back with a much more focused approach – she knows what she wants now and is going after it. Good luck!

Elle December 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Good luck on your new adventure… I hope you will keep cooking and posting your recipes.

Heather @ Better With Veggies December 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I think too many people rush through this time of life, so take it slow and enjoy it! It’s a lot harder to take a break once you start working after college, so find what brings you joy now and chase it!

meghan @ little girl in the big world December 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Congrats on your big decision!! That’s awesome that you’re going to take the semester off and just think. It’s so important to make sure you’re doing what you should be doing to move you in the right direction! Go you!

Molly@happy&healthy December 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Congrats! That is so so exciting and a huge decision to make, way to be brave and recognize when things need to change! Looking forward to see what you do!

Brad Gouthro December 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Complete awesomeness… even though i don’t have kids, I don’t think i’d force them into furthering their education if they are completely passionate about something else. I graduated with a biz and marketing degree and YES, it opened doors for me to learn real world shyte in the corporate world…BUT i couldn’t tell you a lick about what any of those text books taught me. Go Steve Jobs style! Respect.

Eric December 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

As someone who has often felt “stuck” where I am because I was told the only thing to do was “stay the course” when I was in college, if I could have done what you are doing for spring semester.. I would in a heart beat. You have to follow your passion and wake up with enthusiasm every day. If you don’t, you’ll regret it.

imarunner December 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

That is a big decision. I wish you well and look forward to hearing how things work out for you.

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free December 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Congrats Katelyn – enjoy the time off and finding your passion!

purelytwins December 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

congrats girl! we are so proud of you for following your heart! life is too short to be unhappy. Whatever life leads you – you will be great!! Following your passion and your heart is the way to go, it has worked for us :)
love ya
xoxo

Caitlin December 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM

what a leap! such big news and i’m glad you feel so excited. i hope that during your time off you have time to foster and grow your passions even more than you already have – it’s been really cool to watch you evolve into a crossfit-loving fitfluential ambassador and i hope that you quickly find your path because i know once you do you’ll be sprinting down it!

Jody - Fit at 55 December 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Do it while you are young! From an older lady, it gets really hard as we age. So glad you are following your dreams! I wish I had learned that early! Good for you!

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries December 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM

SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU BEAUTIFUL GIRL! I hope you find the happiness and joy that you deserve. You are wonderful! <3

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit December 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Congrats on taking a big step, listening to your body and soul, and doing what feels right to you. People will agree and people will disagree, but it’s really your opinion that matters here. Only you know what’s best for you. :D I wish you the best of luck in finding that “spark” you’re looking for!

Patty December 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

How Awesome! Glad you are doing it. Enjoy every bit of your new freedom and follow your passion!

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna December 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

congrats! i can’t wait to hear how everything goes! :)

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Congrats! I took a semester off during my junior year, and it was probably one of the best things I ever did in college. I still graduated, so don’t listen to people who tell you you’ll never do anything with your life (people can be mean).

lisa fine December 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Wow – congratulations! That’s huge news, and I’m really curious to see what you plan to do. I love reading about bloggers who follow their own dreams and start their own businesses and things like that.

Part of why we moved to Vermont is to start our own homestead – gardens, chickens, goats, the works. I love sharing my thoughts on my blog, and can’t wait to share the actual happenings soon!