Top 5 @Forbes Resources for Women in Business

by Katelyn Block on December 27, 2012 · 7 comments

I’ve been doing an awful lot of reading today, and needless to say, it’s fascinating and women-focused. So dudes, take a walk around the block. There will be something we can all relate to later.

1. Top 20 Best-Paying Cities for Women: For those of you that live in the ‘burbs, are looking to move to a big city, or want to move somewhere new… these cities should be at the top of your list.

2. The 10 Best Jobs for Women in 2012: Based on job satisfaction, pay, availability, and projected growth.

Compare to

3. The 10 Best Jobs for Women in 2013: Even more fascinating, but also quite similar. Same qualities as listed above.

4. Success Secrets of the World’s Most Powerful Women: These secrets to success are, quite honestly, no secret; however, they are worth repeating. Employ these in your daily routine, and thank you foremothers (is that a word?).

5. The 10 Best-Paying College Majors for Women: Still in school? Going back to school? Check out these programs and see if one (or more!) is right for you.

Any articles of note you’ve read recently?
What are some of your best tips for women in business and other industries?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

This was really interesting to me, especially since I’m looking to move. It’s good to know Boston (where I want to move) is on the list but too bad it’s still so freaking expensive to live there. HA!

Katelyn Block December 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Boston is BEAUTIFUL. Hands-down, one of my favorite cities (NYC has its own personality, I can hardly compare the two). I hope you find your path!

Lindsay December 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I’ve worked and studied in a field that’s predominately male for a few years, and at this point I’m somewhat against the idea of having conferences, scholarships, etc. made specifically for women. I feel that to be respected as an employee/colleague I shouldn’t be given “handicaps” or special treatment just because of my gender. That could just be me though.

So I guess my tip is to be yourself and work to be treated like everyone else. I know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea and it’s not something you can always control though.

Katelyn Block December 29, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Interesting perspective! I definitely wish that we could be in a place where women don’t NEED to have conferences, scholarships, etc. just for us. You don’t see men given scholarships because of their gender, and that is a real issue: That women are downplayed as professionals and remain to be paid significantly less.

And you’re right! Women (all people, in fact) should just be themselves, and work hard. Demand what you’re worth. And know your value. I’m reading Knowing Your Value by Mika Brzezinski right now, and I highly recommend!

Mandie December 28, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Katelyn, I cannot thank you enough for posting these links. As a very career-focused young women who’s in the midst of college, I have been asking myself these kinds of questions. While these articles certainly helped me understand the best places, majors, and careers for women, the underlying message of these articles seems to be that while successful, women still aren’t making as much as men. I sincerely hope that women will continue to pioneer new fields and engage the world around them. We can achieve as much as men and should not have to take mediocre jobs or salaries just because of our gender. Hopefully articles like these will motivate women to keep aiming high and strategically placing themselves where success can go to new heights.

Katelyn Block December 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I sincerely hope so too! I’m so glad the articles helped you. Hopefully we can all take the initiative needed to find success.