{PureMatters}: Did you take your vitamins today?

by Katelyn Block on January 8, 2013 · 19 comments

Hey there! Serious question. How many of you remember taking Flintstones vitamins when you were a kid? pure-matters

Everything was better in the 90′s. Fun fact: One of my favorite apps, Songza, has a playlist under the category Guilty Pleasures called At a 90′s School Dance. I listened to it last night while I cooked dinner. Oh, how I missed the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys.

Anyways. These are not Flintstones vitamins.

But they work magic.

When I first received the vitamins, I realized that I was sent pea protein, which, during a time when I was eating a more plant-based diet, would have been a great addition. I swiftly sent a bottle of the Multi-Vitamin Essentials Sports Formula for Women in replacement.

I’m convinced it has helped to fill in the blanks that are often made when I opt for chocolate instead of a salad. For that, I am never sorry.

Anyways. Vitamins.

Vitamins

The Green Tea Extract gives me energy at the most obscure, energy-lacking times of day, and doesn’t give me the jitters. I’ve been taking this about an hour before my afternoon/evening workouts.

The GlucoChon MSM Formula (in combination with stretching more, which is a very good thing for the bod) has effectively improved my join pain from nearly debilitating to nonexistent. It’s also possible that I was overtraining, which is another story for another day.

And lastly (but definitely most importantly), the Multi-Vitamin Essential Sports Formulaemphasis on the sports, fills in for every missing piece that lacks in my diet. I hope truly and honestly that I don’t miss too many essential vitamins, but as an athlete, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Fun fact for us ladies: According to a study titled Vitamin and mineral supplementation to athletes, female athletes are more likely to be deficient in calcium, iron, and zinc. This doesn’t apply to all female athletes, but it definitely lends a sense of security to know that vitamins are adequately supplemented. I also believe that, supplements or not, a nutrient-dense, whole-foods diet is the best approach to good health.

Amen.

PureMatters was timely, friendly, and incredibly attentive to making sure that I had the best customer service possible. When the pea protein was received and I realized the miscommunication, they immediately sent me the multi-vitamin which I received a couple of days later. That’s speedy delivery.

Not only do they love (I mean really love) their community, they have a fun, personable online presence that really shines. Timely and friendly translates into all sectors, and builds great relationships with vitamin-loving health nuts like myself. For those of you that are source-conscious, all of the vitamins listed above are vegetarian.

100% Chef Katelyn approved.

Do you take vitamins?
Which supplements do you take and why?
If you are an athlete, what measures do you take to support your performance?

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy January 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I personally don’t take any supplements because I get everything I need from my diet. But we all have to find what works for us in individually :)

Katelyn Block January 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I think that’s the best approach! Go you!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I’m big on supplements. On a daily basis I take a multi-vitamin, vitamin D, omega 3s, biotin, iron (every-other day) and a probiotic. I also take aminos pre, during and post workout.

Katelyn Block January 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Love my omegas!

Liana@RunToMunch January 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I don’t take supplements but I also mostly follow a real food vegetable diet. Sometimes I take probiotics and omega 3 but haven’t in a while as I felt pretty good without them.

Katelyn Block January 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM

That’s the way to do it! My omegas definitely help fill in the gaps, and with joint pain as well.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I was JUST thinking about your previous post on these vitamins and I really want to try some. Did they send them to your for free, or did you purchase these vitamins?

Katelyn Block January 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I received them as part of a campaign through FitFluential!

Susan January 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Definitely any of us north of the Boston Latitude (and that includes everywhere west of there) — do NOT get enough sunlight during the winter. So, Vitamin D in moderation and the blood test to make sure you have an adequate (not over/toxic or under) amount in your system is important for your bone health, prevention of disease and in general, mental health. If you have ever had a serious illness or at some point were not eating enough and lost a large percentage of weight or overtaxed your body (injury/pain) I am fairly sure that the body may need catch-up to repair. Sleep is also key, as well as hydration and correct breathing.

Katelyn Block January 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

HUGE amen to that!! Especially the Vitamin D aspect… moderation. Enough, but not too much. Sleep is so important. Listening to your bodily cues of fatigue and hunger versus fullness. Water as well.

GiGi Eats Celebrities January 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Vitamins are tossed in my mouth on a DAILY basis (2x a day actually) because I have such a limited diet, thanks to stomach issues, that I need to supplement my life! I love my vitamins, I really give them all the credit when it comes to my amazing energy levels! :)

Katelyn Block January 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Dang girl! Do what you gotta do. Energy is key!

Axel January 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I tried several multi-vitamins that were formulated ‘For Men’… they all gave me heartburn. I could usually reduce it by making sure I had it with food, but I often forgot or had it toward the end of the meal rather than the beginning. I recently switched to a Centrum for Active Adults, and it seems to not give me problems.

Katelyn Block January 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Interesting! I’ve found that heartburn can (almost) always be avoided by taking said supplement with food, unless indicated to take on an empty stomach.

Alex Bridgeforth (@alexbridgeforth) January 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I do take vitamins. I take the Veggie Mens Vita-Pak from GNC, i have to removed the fish oil though (you know why). It has a Green Tea Pill, a (basically Sex) horny goat weed type pill, and then it has a multivi as well. Right now my supplements include Kre-Alkalyn (a PH boosted Creatine) and I also take BCAAs and glutamine. Most of my suppletments help me rebuild but I use protein to make sure as a vegan I get enough. I try to make sure that I maintain a low weight for most of my racing.

Katelyn Block January 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I have the women’s! Those are great and super convenient. L-Glutamine is great, and creatine is definitely incredibly beneficial in moderation.

Melissa January 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I’ve usually heard that if you eat a balance diet then extra vitamins aren’t necessary. Is this a lot different for athletes?

Meredith @ DareYouTo January 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I take a daily multivitamin and D-vitamins, also usually a B-complex. This month, I too started trying out some Pure Matters products and really like them! Feelin good :) They’re more for over-time results, so review to come soon!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables January 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Those look really awesome!!!