New Year’s Motivation: Graphic

by Katelyn Block on January 9, 2013 · 22 comments

Ask-what-makes-you-come-alive

I’m a bit unconventional. (is this a surprise?)

I don’t “do” New Year’s Resolutions. This year I’m (still) not going to make resolutions. I’m going to strive, every day, to be better.

Better:

• Strong
  • Happy
  • Inspired
  • Vulnerable
  • Kind

Act on:

• Making incredible things that inspire myself and others
  • Doing incredible things that inspire myself and others
  • Loving each and every person that I meet
  • Helping others without being asked
  • Spending time with my family
  • Smiling..a lot
  • Savoring moments as they are instead of losing them to the future
  • Becoming stronger and more vulnerable at the same time
  • Taking chances
  • Valuing my health
  • Letting go of fear
  • Writing more

I can’t believe I just teared up writing these, but I did. Sometimes you have to tap into your heart and let it be true and open.

This year, I want to be open to every opportunity that comes to me. Let myself be vulnerable. Scared. Excited. Ready. Not ready. Just where I need to be.

I want to spend ever more time with my family. I’ve grown to love and appreciate them even more over the last few months, and I know it is because they have shown how much they love and appreciate me through every (at first) confusing, scary, and exciting decision I have made and gut feeling I have had. I think that’s also part of growing up. Is realizing that your parents are so incredibly loving, ready, and able to support you every step of the way. And you also realize that they’re people too. With humor and fears and hobbies and love. There to be your friend as they guide and support you. This year, I decide to be that for myself and for the rest of the world.

Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.

Resolve to be better. Decide to be better. And decide to be more alive.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 9, 2013 at 6:07 AM

You go girl! :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } January 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM

My goals for the year are very similar to you! In fact, my one word mantra for 2013 is ‘open’.

Katelyn Block January 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I love that. I could definitely be more OPEN. I almost like that better than vulnerable!

lisa fine @ vermont vittles January 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I like that. Even though I’ve definitely been a “save the world” type for as long as I can remember, I think the world becomes a better place when you embrace your passions and live for what you love.

My partner and I moved to Vermont because we really want to live as sustainably as possible – buying some land and a small house, and getting chickens and goats and a dog, and gardening to grow most of our own food. He and I just want to live life to the fullest – to feel ALIVE.

Katelyn Block January 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM

It’s SO TRUE. Amen, sister! That’s INCREDIBLE. Vermont is great in the first place, but it’s so important to honor your values and take action to live the way that will make you most happy. I tip my hat to you!

Sarah @Pickyrunner January 9, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I love the graphic. I think it’s the perfect way to approach the new year. Isn’t it amazing that as we grow up we begin to appreciate our parents more? I never thought I’d see the day.

Katelyn Block January 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Thank you! And haha, SO true! As a teenager I thought I would never grow to see my parents as awesome people, and even more so, as incredible caregivers. Absolutely amazing.

Alex Bridgeforth (@alexbridgeforth) January 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I’m not a resolution guy either, I like to make goals throughout the year no matter what time and continue them. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Katelyn Block January 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That’s the best time to make goals — when you are most compelled to! Thank YOU.

M. Love January 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I’m with you – I don’t really do the whole resolution thing. But I set goals, and hope to make them!! :)

Katie @ KatieEnPursuit January 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Yea girl! Awesome graphic, Love it & the message behind it! Keep being YOU & you’ll continue to inspire :)

Katelyn Block January 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM

MWAH <3

Patty January 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM

So beautifuly said! :)

Amanda @ Run Principessa January 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Such a kickass message and woman behind the message. I love this, and I know you’ll achieve so much greatness in 2013!

Katelyn Block January 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Omg. Just made my day. xoxo

GiGi Eats Celebrities January 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I scream that at myself every morning: JUST GO DO IT!!! And I am screaming at myself right now: JUST GO DO IT! Cause I need to leave the house in 10 minutes and I am still in my robe, AHHH HA HA HA AH! Thanks for the extra kick in the pants!

Katelyn Block January 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Hahaha! That happens to me all too often, it’s so easy to get caught up in work!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I love this concenpt, and the way you categorized them. I am with you on the no New Years-specific goals. Being mindful throught the year is key!

Jen January 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM

LOVE this – you are such a beautiful person, inside and out! That is all. :)

Jen January 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM

p.s. I just love that you included “vulnerable” – that is such a hard one for me, but definitely something that I need to strive for/allow (I do think that it would be good for me)…

So, I guess that wasn’t “all.”

Katelyn Block January 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

THANK you!! Vulnerable is so important to me, because it means being truly open to opportunities and taking chances. I vow NEVER to be “too scared” to take a chance.