Blessed.

by Katelyn Block on February 5, 2013 · 19 comments

There’s nothing like time with family.

I spent the weekend with my parents, because you never know how long you’ll have the joy of being able to visit your family at the wave of the hand. I’m working a lot on living in the present; right now. Not worrying about the future, or mulling over the past.

A few months ago, my Dad asked me if I wanted to go to a Syracuse basketball game with him, and I thought this was a great idea. My Dad never had any boys, but I learned how to play baseball when I was little and have shared his love of football, basketball, and general joy for shouting at the TV screen when there’s a game on. But then we quietly sit back down and nod. Hmm. That was interesting.

We went to the Notre Dame basketball game, and got Chipotle beforehand. I often think about how, when I was a teenager, I would get embarrassed by my parents. It must be a teenager thing because I eventually grew out of that. Not something I’m proud of, but I’m now overjoyed whenever I get to see my parents or do something with them. It’s a blessing.

What are you thankful for today?

Kacie @ Savvy Sassy Me February 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I also spent the weekend with my parents :) It was beautifully BLESSED. And today was my birthday–the people in my life truly made me feel SPECIAL. I couldn’t ask for more than to feel appreciated and LOVED. :)

Amy@spotonwellness February 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I agree, Katelyn. You never know how long we have with someone and we should live in the moment. I do not live near my parents, unfortunately, but try to visit them every month or every other month. When I was home for a visit last weekend, I took my daughter to visit my 88 yo Great Aunt. Today I received a wonderful, handwritten letter that she wrote to tell me just how much that visit meant to her. It brought tears to my eyes to understand and realize how such a short visit in the middle of my crazy, busy Saturday could mean SO much to her. I was just as happy that I had that special day and time with her, too.
It looks like you had a nice time with your dad and I pray you have MANY, MANY, MANY more days like it :)

Debbie @ Live from La Quinta February 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

It’s one of the ways you know you’re grown up…you like you’re parents again, enjoy their company, and look forward to seeing them. You are fortunate that you live close enough to see them regularly. Cherish those moments!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness February 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I love the new layout Katelyn! Looks awesome. I have to agree with you there is really nothing like family time! So important!

Sarah @Pickyrunner February 5, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Aw girl I’m glad you got to spend the weekend with them! It sounds like an amazing time. I know that when I’m away I miss my parents more than words. I still do.
P.S- LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEE the new layout!

Kat February 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Yay! I’m thankful for my hubby and awesome network of friends!

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife February 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I know what you mean about used to be embarrassed but now family is the number 1 thing! love it! have a great day girl!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM

What a fun time! :-)
I definitely think it’s a teenager thing. Our poor parents! Makes me feel bad now, looking back at how absolutely bratty I was to them.

Melissa Love February 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I am thankful for such an awesome network of friends — and my family! I wish they weren’t so far away, but I enjoy my time with them that much more!

Jody - Fit at 55 February 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Love this!!!!! Sometimes they are gone long before we expect too!

maria @ lift love life February 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM

It wasn’t until I moved away that I realized how blessed I am with my family. I miss them so much. Luckily they’re here staying with me for awhile, first time my family has been together in four years…so BLESSED! Also, love the new look!

Marissa February 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Family time is the best time. I always feel so at home when I’m with my family, not matter where I am!

PS- I LOVE the new site design! SO clean and pretty!

Steph February 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I took my mom to that game last night too! The company I work for has season tickets so I always get to go to a game or two a year and I always bring my mom. We always have so much fun and it’s a great way to spend a night out. It’s funny how things change from those teenage days…

Lindsay February 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I got to hang out with my dad a few weekends ago, and I ended up having a really great time. Sometimes parents are cool :)

Emily February 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

as I am getting older, I cherish and enjoy the time with my family and parents SO much. I am no longer “embarassed” but proud. such a special bond & blessing.

Brooke @ Running In Heels February 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Looks like you had a great time! There’s nothing like time with family!

Clare @ Fitting It All In February 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM

i will forgive you for crushing us, only because you and your dad are cute.

Katelyn Block February 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Patty February 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM

These are the moments you will treasure. In ten days it will be a year since I lost my dad but it is all the memories we made together that get me through those tough days. :)